Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #1

Shore Power Not Charging Batteries

Situation:

-2007 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
-Both Chassis and House/Aux Batteries good and waters levels good
-Battery Control Center is a RV Custom Products F73-1020
-BCC circuit breakers black plungers are not pushed out
-Coach has been plugged into shore power at the house for 2 months for winter
-Current overnight temps are about 30F with daytime highs of around 40F
-Wall mounted battery display shows Main at 4.66v and Aux at 9.34

So I do go out into the coach from time to time just to check on things and at the beginning of December it was fine but now, needless to say, it won't turn over.

I have spent time searching however I've checked those thing that I had come across and am now ready to be kicked in a new direction.

Thanks in advance....

Ron
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2016, 04:17 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You need to start from the peddestal and work your way into the coach.
It does sound like you are not getting AC voltage to your charger.

Are you plugged into 30 or 50 amp plug?

You have to get a volt meter and meassure, start by unplugging the coach, and check the plug on the pedestal.

Then open the cover of the trsnsfer switch, and meassure the input and output.

Could even be the cord reel if you have one.

Just guessing will waste time....

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-01-2016, 04:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpinvidic View Post
You need to start from the peddestal and work your way into the coach.
It does sound like you are not getting AC voltage to your charger.

Are you plugged into 30 or 50 amp plug?

You have to get a volt meter and meassure, start by unplugging the coach, and check the plug on the pedestal.

Then open the cover of the trsnsfer switch, and meassure the input and output.

Could even be the cord reel if you have one.

Just guessing will waste time....

Regards,

Dan
The above is what you need to do.

Although I'm not familiar with your BCC, I doubt that it charges your chassis (starting) batteries without some additional piece of equipment (charger, Trik-L-Start, etc).
Old 01-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #4

1. I'll be looking into the troubleshooting that Dan recommended.

2. My coach manual states that the converter does charge both the chassis an house batteries when plugged into shore power or when the generator is running.

3. I also had a 'doh' moment as well:

When I plugged into my shore power I (gulp ) thought my 50amp cord wouldn't reach the outlet in the shop so I connected about a 25' extension cord to ensure I had the length.

Now when the temps didn't go low until earlier in December so the batteries likely weren't being affected but now that they've gone down to 30F at night they need to benefit of the power converter charging them. With the this 25' thinner cord in the equation perhaps it created a perfect scenario for low voltage.

So I've just taken the 25'cord out of the loop and plugged the 50A with adapter straight into the shop outlet. I'll check the meter readings in the morning to see if the batteries voltage has improved.

If not I'll get busy with Dan's check list.....I also managed to find out where the power converter is on this coach, I think.

One of the wiring schematics shows a converter receptacle under the fridge so I'll confirm that in the morning.

Again, thanks for the replies...

Ron
Old 01-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A 25ft cord is fine IF it is a 12ga cord.
you only run into trouble when you draw a large amount of current through a small conductor.

My son has a fleetwood. The aux start solenoid engages after 30sec to tie the batteries together for charging.

Be sure to check each adapter since you are going from 115 house circuit.

Regards,

Dan
Old 01-02-2016, 11:03 AM   #6

Update:

Checked the voltage this morning after having the shore power 50a line directly to 15a outlet and the house batteries are now up to 11.35v but the chassis is still at 4.4v.

I'm going out this morning so I thought I'd put the charger on the chassis battery set at 12v-10A.

When I opened the coach door to go inside the steps opened! I checked the meter on the wall and the chassis battery reads 14.4 (while on charger)
Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
Update:

Checked the voltage this morning after having the shore power 50a line directly to 15a outlet and the house batteries are now up to 11.35v but the chassis is still at 4.4v.

I'm going out this morning so I thought I'd put the charger on the chassis battery set at 12v-10A.

When I opened the coach door to go inside the steps opened! I checked the meter on the wall and the chassis battery reads 14.4 (while on charger)
This is pretty normal. The BCC will not let the converter charge the chassis battery until the House batteries charge up to near 13.2v. At 13.2v, the aux start/Isolator solenoid should close and allow the chassis battery to begin to charge.

It's good that you connected the external charger to help speed upthe process. The 14.4v from the charger should also close the solenoid and assist the converter in charging the house batteries.

Here's a document that you need to help determine if everything is okay, once the batteries are re-charged. Keep it in your files for future reference.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the confirmation..

When I got back home this afternoon I took it off the charger, metered the chassis battery and it was at 12.3v. The coach started without a problem and I let it run for 15-20 minutes as well as the generator.

When I turned it off I disconnected the chassis and aux batteries with the rocker switches in a wall cabinet and then confirmed that the microwave and other power outlets worked fine via the shore power.

So I'm still not sure what made the aux batteries to drain in the past 3-4 weeks since last checked as the only thing that has changed is I changed most of the interior incandescent bulbs over to LED and the outside temps have dropped to 28F at night with daytime highs of about 40F

This 'cold snap' should stop mid week with lows then returning to norms of about 37F.

I'll check the voltages in the morning.

Ron

Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by volvik View Post
Thanks for the confirmation..

When I got back home this afternoon I took it off the charger, metered the chassis battery and it was at 12.3v. The coach started without a problem and I let it run for 15-20 minutes as well as the generator.

When I turned it off I disconnected the chassis and aux batteries with the rocker switches in a wall cabinet and then confirmed that the microwave and other power outlets worked fine via the shore power.

So I'm still not sure what made the aux batteries to drain in the past 3-4 weeks since last checked as the only thing that has changed is I changed most of the interior incandescent bulbs over to LED and the outside temps have dropped to 28F at night with daytime highs of about 40F

This 'cold snap' should stop mid week with lows then returning to norms of about 37F.

I'll check the voltages in the morning.Ron
You will have to leave the aux batteries connected if you want the converter to charge the batteries while stored with shore power ON. You can turn the Chassis battery disconnect OFF, however, and they will still get charged from the converter. That's just the way the BCC is wired.
Old 01-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #10

Gotcha, I did leave both batteries connected overnight and they were still at 12.x and 11.x volts and the coach started fine.

I'll continue to monitor them, the cold snap is over in a few days. Both the chassis and aux batteries are only a couple of years old and the levels are fine.

Tags
batteries, charging, power, shore power