Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2022, 05:44 AM   #1

Shore Power Plug Meltdown

Hot day yesterday in Branson, MO. Our 50 amp power pedestal faces the setting sun. No clue the above is the issue, but our shore power plug melted at the surge protector. My sense is the connection got a bit loose and was not evenly seated. Your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0563.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	461.6 KB
ID:	370263  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2022, 05:55 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by righellis View Post
Hot day yesterday in Branson, MO. Our 50 amp power pedestal faces the setting sun. No clue the above is the issue, but our shore power plug melted at the surge protector. My sense is the connection got a bit loose and was not evenly seated. Your thoughts?
That is the result of extreme heat from a loose prong or loose connection inside the plug. I have had the plug on a previous coach do a melt down like that. Just go to Lowes or the other box store and you can pick up a new plug and install it.
2019 - 2022:1996 National Sea Breeze
It's been a 2 year restore project.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:57 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry this happened to you Tony, that looks like a Camco plug on the end of your cord. Not the best as far as quality, Loose, bad connection's creates resistance which makes heat. Which is what happened to have a melt down like you did. Just buy a good quality 50 amp. cord end and replace it. Looks like you will also be replacing your surge guard.
Starting on post #5 here https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/201...ml#post6237023 you will read on heat problems another fella is having but has not had a melt down yet!
Old 07-06-2022, 06:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Don't just replace the plug. The receptacle needs replaced also.
Old 07-06-2022, 06:43 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcbbob15 View Post
Don't just replace the plug. The receptacle needs replaced also.
Thats a Progressive surge guard his cord is plugged into.......
Old 07-07-2022, 02:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreazer View Post
That is the result of extreme heat from a loose prong or loose connection inside the plug. I have had the plug on a previous coach do a melt down like that. Just go to Lowes or the other box store and you can pick up a new plug and install it.
Thanks. "Just got to .." was the fun part. Not a single store in all of Branson had one. But, I have a 30' extension chord. So had a great repairman come on a moments notice and we chopped off the plug on the extension chord and wire nut spliced it to the coach's chord. New plugs to arrive today via Amazon and we will make the permanent attachment to both the coach's chord and the newly decapitated extension chord when they arrive. Bought four plugs from two different manufacturers so I will have two spares.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:58 AM   #7

Typo, meant "Just go to ..."
Old 07-07-2022, 05:58 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have had problems with the yellow dog bone style of adapters. the plug head wire connections are crimped so they over heat and melt. had to replace my outlet twice before I figured out what was causing the problem. now use a solid adapter with no crimps. I now check my plugs to feel for unsafe temps. I have had several factory installed "heads" or plugs fail due to high heat. both were crimped and sealed, over a period of time just failed. had to replace them. when I have visitors now I make them use my adapter, as it is screwed together inside. a lot of folks don't like it but it has eliminated melted outlets. yes, they are not cheap.....

https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-I...s%2C177&sr=8-2
Old 07-07-2022, 06:37 AM   #9

If contacts on the 50a male connector get dirty (dragged on the dirt over time, oxidation, whatever), an emery board (smoother side) and a few minutes does wonders!

I've tried contact cleaner but the emery board works better. Just be careful to only clear off the top dirt and don't take keep going hard and taking the metal down...
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:58 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
If contacts on the 50a male connector get dirty (dragged on the dirt over time, oxidation, whatever), an emery board (smoother side) and a few minutes does wonders!

I've tried contact cleaner but the emery board works better. Just be careful to only clear off the top dirt and don't take keep going hard and taking the metal down...
I found that the contact cleaner to be worthless too, yes, been doing this for years, if you get the thinner cheaper ones you can just cut them off with a pair of scissors when the end gets worn. I use a metal nail file that I have ground down to fit to clean the inside contacts of the adapters. But don't use on the outlets unless you have insulating gloves on.... wheeeeeee!!!!!
Old 07-08-2022, 06:11 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by righellis View Post
Thanks. "Just got to .." was the fun part. Not a single store in all of Branson had one. But, I have a 30' extension chord. So had a great repairman come on a moments notice and we chopped off the plug on the extension chord and wire nut spliced it to the coach's chord. New plugs to arrive today via Amazon and we will make the permanent attachment to both the coach's chord and the newly decapitated extension chord when they arrive. Bought four plugs from two different manufacturers so I will have two spares.
Dont be afraid to use some Ox-gard on the terminals. Keeps oxidation from forming when it does heat up.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post

Typically I do not unplug the coach's chord from the surge protector. The meltdown occurred at that connection that I rarely separate. Is that an issue?

Tags
power, shore power