Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2023, 12:11 PM   #1

Shore power tripping gfci

I have a 2008 Jayco 23b, the shore power is tripping gfci circuits. I have done a lot of testing and have isolated it to the DC converter. The converter is a Iota DLS-45. The 12v power output is 13.4 volts, it seems to be functioning properly. But it is bleeding 0.2 vac to the ground buss. If I turn off it breaker or unplug it there is 0 volt to the ground buss, that is testing between the neutral and ground buss. I can't find any connections or stray stands making contact anywhere between the neutral and ground buss. In general it doesn't seem like enough of a bleed to be concerning but it is not surprisingly tripping the gfci. Is this signs of a failing converter, or is it common with older converters. I have found vague references to some converters not playing nicely with gfci, but not any details. The only other references I have found are significant failures or wiring issues.

Thanks
Macta is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2023, 12:30 PM   #2

I think I a found the issue

I was able to rearrange things so I could plug the shorepower in directly without an extension chord. It seems the resistance from the longer run was causing extra bleed over some how. Even though it is a large gage extension cord.
Old 05-18-2023, 03:52 PM   #3

Normally the converter isn't on a gfi circuit. If possible change things around.

I know my fairly new Victron Multiplus inverter/charger will immediately trip a gfi.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 07:19 PM   #4

It is the shorepower that is plugged into a GFCI in my garage. It is the closest outlet, I keep it plugged in mainly just to maintain the battery.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macta View Post
It is the shorepower that is plugged into a GFCI in my garage. It is the closest outlet, I keep it plugged in mainly just to maintain the battery.
If it's just to keep the batteries charged then the easiest thing to do is hook up a trickle charger.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 05:44 AM   #6

An inverter connects Neutral to Ground when it is supplying AC power. When it is not, it is supposed to have Neutral and Ground isolated. You Inverter is not doing the Neutral/Ground switching.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
An inverter connects Neutral to Ground when it is supplying AC power. When it is not, it is supposed to have Neutral and Ground isolated. You Inverter is not doing the Neutral/Ground switching.
Where did they say they had an inverter?
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2023, 08:31 AM   #8

Quote:
I have a 2008 Jayco 23b, the shore power is tripping gfci circuits. I have done a lot of testing and have isolated it to the DC converter. The converter is a Iota DLS-45. The 12v power output is 13.4 volts, it seems to be functioning properly. But it is bleeding 0.2 vac to the ground buss. If I turn off it breaker or unplug it there is 0 volt to the ground buss, that is testing between the neutral and ground buss. I can't find any connections or stray stands making contact anywhere between the neutral and ground buss. In general it doesn't seem like enough of a bleed to be concerning but it is not surprisingly tripping the gfci. Is this signs of a failing converter, or is it common with older converters. I have found vague references to some converters not playing nicely with gfci, but not any details. The only other references I have found are significant failures or wiring issues.

Thanks
I’d suspect your extension cord. It would actually take a pretty significant leak to ground to cause the ground neutral voltage to increase like that. An extension cord with a bad ground could be the problem.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 12:01 PM   #9

Quote:
I was able to rearrange things so I could plug the shorepower in directly without an extension chord. It seems the resistance from the longer run was causing extra bleed over some how. Even though it is a large gage extension cord.
An extension cord should not have any connection between any of the individual wires inside the cord or its connectors. In other words there should be no leakage. When removing the cord stops the GFCI trip, that means the cord is defective.

An alternative is that the new connection does not have a working ground circuit. No current in the ground stops the GFCI from tripping. Metal surfaces on the RV may now be "hot".

There can be a voltage between neutral and ground wires in an extension cord when there is significant current flowing. The neutral carries current and so can have low voltage on it due to resistance in the wire and connectors. The ground wire should have no current unless there is a malfunction and therefor no voltage.

One cause of GFCI tripping is leakage from neutral to ground. Ground carries current. The current in the hot is not equal to the current in the neutral. That imbalance causes the GFCI to trip.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2023, 04:00 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
So it is tripng the garage gfi. Many times the issue is the house is bonded at the breaker box and up from the house through garage outlet the camper is bonded at it's breaker. So the garage gfi breaker see a leak through the camper bonding.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persistent View Post
An extension cord should not have any connection between any of the individual wires inside the cord or its connectors. In other words there should be no leakage. When removing the cord stops the GFCI trip, that means the cord is defective.

An alternative is that the new connection does not have a working ground circuit. No current in the ground stops the GFCI from tripping. Metal surfaces on the RV may now be "hot".

There can be a voltage between neutral and ground wires in an extension cord when there is significant current flowing. The neutral carries current and so can have low voltage on it due to resistance in the wire and connectors. The ground wire should have no current unless there is a malfunction and therefor no voltage.

One cause of GFCI tripping is leakage from neutral to ground. Ground carries current. The current in the hot is not equal to the current in the neutral. That imbalance causes the GFCI to trip.
For those reading along:

Current leaking is presumed by physics to be seeking a return path, in this case outside of the circuit itself. 5mA is all the current needed to trip the GFCI.

I've had "leaky" extension cords (crushed by being driven over, or custom assembled from parts using less-than-stellar termination practices).

GFCIs will work just fine without any grounding conductor whatsoever. All that is needed is 5mA or greater current imbalance between neutral and line.

If the OP's GFCI is tripping when the RV is plugged in, there is a fault with either the shore power/extension cord or the charger/converter/inverter (as may be appropriate to the unit) is leaking current.

Tags
power, shore power