Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2022, 07:28 PM   #1

Shurflo 4008 Check Valve & Strainer

I have the cycling and sometimes filling the FW tank when hooked to city water. So I am pretty sure it's the check valve. I will be installing a check valve in the line at the pump inlet, (between the FW tank and the pump). Looking for recommendations on the check valve to get. Should I get a spring one, one with a ball, just not sure. Also do I need to find one at a certain pressure. Want to be sure the pump can pull thru it, when drawing in water.

Also, can anyone provide instructions or a guide on cleaning the strainer.

My pump is a Shurflo 4008
Qui-Gon John is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #2

It is specifically the 4008-101-E65.
Old 08-04-2022, 10:54 AM   #3

$12 - $15 for new pump check valve (diaphragm)
Shurflo 94-800-03

Strainer.......dome/clear portion unscrews
Do not loose the o-ring
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #4

Thanks, I got the strainer off. Will clean in a few minutes. I don't want to go with fixing the internal check valve. I think placing one in the inlet line will be better, easier to do, easier to change out again later, should I need to. Just went to Home Depot but they did not have any 1/2" barbs on both ends. Will checkout Ferguson and Amazon.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:00 PM   #5

The check valve o rings are easy to replace: Check out if interested

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/shur...ir-373750.html
Old 08-18-2022, 08:42 PM   #6

So I got the check valves Duner recommended over in this thread, post #5

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/fre...ml#post6182764

I tested both check-valves (by blowing into each end and they seem fine, air one way and not the other). I installed it in the line and probably Saturday will put the line back in, put some water in my FW Tank and test it out. Hope it goes well and no leaks.

Here is a pic of my line.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW Pump Inlet Line.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	374052  
Old 08-19-2022, 08:49 AM   #7

I think most people just replace the pump.

The check valve on mine was going out, in that it occasionally cycled when I wasn't using any water. The pump was also very loud, I had a spare pump so I replaced it. Now it's nice and quiet.

I assumed the fact that it was loud was separate from the check valve issue,. Do bad check valves generally make the pumps very noisy? If so I can replace the valve in my old pump and keep it as my new spare.
dssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:31 AM   #8

Well I installed that line and it is working, so far. I did have a little leakage, by the elbow just before the strainer. But I tightened the clamp more and the connector at the pump discharge elbow and that seems to have stopped it. That's what I hate about plumbing, seems to want to leak more often than not. So rare I do a plumbing job and don't get a little leakage at first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FW Pump Inlet Line Installed.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	374165  

Tags
valve