Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
SHURflo 5700 latch problem/fix

I put in a SHURflo 5700 about three years ago.

I had to replace it twice because of the pump running continously. This newer version runs fine-- It has a one piece housing (vs the old two piece housings).

I have had the "latch" fittings- they hold the parts together- just "pop" off twice this summer/fall. Yesterday was the last straw. It floods three of my basement compartments at once and makes one heck of a mess. We were gone and the campground manager called me immediately. We came back in a few minutes, he had shut the water off already.

Here is a picture of the latch and my "fix"-----

I drilled one 1/8" hole in each ear of the latch and used two small nylon tie wraps to pull, and hold, the ears together after they are installed properly. I did this to all four of the joints used in the install.

I called SHURflo and asked if there was a new redesigned latch being used to keep the ears in place better-- like a flip over catch. He said "no". What happens he said, is if the parts are disasembled occassionally, they get worn or loose and that causes the "pop" outs I experienced--- ugh

I told him I might use aircraft safety wire to secure the fittings (replacing the plastic ties) when I get home-- .

I have never liked those fittings from the getgo- what's wrong with clamps?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Good fix, thanks for sharing it.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:05 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max,

Now if you can only find a way to make the 5.7 last more than a few months. I'm currently on my fourth.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jackm--

Here are several of my observations using this pump.

I'm on my third one, but this last one has been up and running well-- for a long time now (like two years). There is a pump adjustment screw on the very bottom of the pump. It can be abjusted slightly by turning the screw in a counterclock wise direction to eliminate continuous running. I also read recently somewhere on this forum that the switch used to turn the pump on must be the same one used to turn it off. I have replaced two of the three wall switches I have in my rig because I had trouble starting the pump occassionally. It works great now if I start the pump and turn it off at the same switch.

Good luck with yours--
Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Jackm--

Here are several of my observations using this pump.

I'm on my third one, but this last one has been up and running well-- for a long time now (like two years). There is a pump adjustment screw on the very bottom of the pump. It can be abjusted slightly by turning the screw in a counterclock wise direction to eliminate continuous running. I also read recently somewhere on this forum that the switch used to turn the pump on must be the same one used to turn it off. I have replaced two of the three wall switches I have in my rig because I had trouble starting the pump occassionally. It works great now if I start the pump and turn it off at the same switch.

Good luck with yours--
What switch you turn it on and off with shouldn't make a difference. What may be happening is that the three switch loop isn't using heavy enough cable for the high current demand of the pump. If you put a relay at the pump and feed the relay with direct #8 or #10 wire and use the switch loop to turn the relay on and off the problem should be solved.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey John Hilley,

Sounds like a "done deal" to me . Where and what relay am I looking for. Number, name, a dealer or whatever, for the relay.

Appreciate it if you can provide the info--

Thanks,
Old 11-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max,

John is suggesting that its possible that the existing circuit isn't robust enough to handle the more powerful pump. A 12-volt relay will eliminates voltage drops, thus allowing the pump to provide full pressure and volume. You can purchase relays at Radio Shack or other electrical supply outlets. A 30 amp relay would be more than adequate. The relay would essentially be installed between your switches and your pump (next to your pump). The relay would be used to turn the pump on and off and your existing switches would be used to turn the relay off and on. The wiring from the relay to the switches should be no smaller than #10.

Jack
Jackm is offline   Reply With Quote