Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Shurflo regulator assembly or exploded parts pic

The water inlet / pressure regulator seized when I hooked up the park water today. It completely blocked flow. I thought I would take it apart and see if something needed a bit of lube after 12 years of use. Unfortunately, the black rubber valve fell out of place before I noted it's orientation. I can usually figure out pressure regulators, but this one appears to be piloted and thus far the placement is escaping me. I've reassembled it and am using an exterior regulator/restrictor, so we're functional, but if anyone knows where the little bugger goes, I would appreciate a bit of help.

This is a 183-020-08 unit.

Thanks!
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
The water inlet / pressure regulator seized when I hooked up the park water today. It completely blocked flow. I thought I would take it apart and see if something needed a bit of lube after 12 years of use. Unfortunately, the black rubber valve fell out of place before I noted it's orientation. I can usually figure out pressure regulators, but this one appears to be piloted and thus far the placement is escaping me. I've reassembled it and am using an exterior regulator/restrictor, so we're functional, but if anyone knows where the little bugger goes, I would appreciate a bit of help.

This is a 183-020-08 unit.

Thanks!
mbrandt1402
I suggest you simply replace the while thing with a new one:
Amazon.com: shurflo 183-020-08
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 06:44 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
That's plan B, but since we don't know where we will be next and for how long, it gets a little complicated.

I think the regulator simply jammed, possibly due to the deposits in the bore the piston moves in. No reason to replace it if it will continue to work after some TLC. (Translated, that means I like to fix repairable stuff rather than automatically replace with new. Probably something to do with growing up on a farm.)
Old 02-13-2016, 06:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrandt1402 View Post
That's plan B, but since we don't know where we will be next and for how long, it gets a little complicated.

I think the regulator simply jammed, possibly due to the deposits in the bore the piston moves in. No reason to replace it if it will continue to work after some TLC. (Translated, that means I like to fix repairable stuff rather than automatically replace with new. Probably something to do with growing up on a farm.)
mbrandt1402
I too would rather repair than replace.

However I sometimes have to resort to plan B... especially on 12 year old relatively inexpensive RV items like your SHURflo pressure regulated water fill.

BTW here's one for only $25.97: SHURflo Pressure Regulated Water Fill White - $25.97

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Problem solved: the regulator also incorporates a check valve. When I saw that in product literature I found online, I knew how the rubber valve fit into the assembly. Earlier I had been trying to figure out how it was part of pressure regulation.

So for future reference, if you hook-up the hose and cannot fill the tank or supply water to the coach plumbing, it is possible for the check valve to blow out of place and seal off the supply of water, rather than the escape of water from the system. Once you have access to the back of the valve, it is a 5 minute repair to disassemble the regulator and pop the check valve stem back into place.

Tags
parts