Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2011, 10:46 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to wiredla1
Silouette by dometic still having problems

I am still having problems with my dometic fridge in my 89 winnebago chieftain. It would intermittently switch to gas after it cooled down and then it warmed up and then it would just switch to gas. Problem was there is no gas to use. Now i turn it on. The panel lights up but the gas/ac light does not illuminate at all. Used to be able to turn it off for 30 minutes and turn it bk on and it would be fine for a little bit. Now nothing. Plz help. TY
wiredla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:53 AM   #2

Commercial Member

wiredla1,

Please provide the following information about your Dometic refrigerator:

Model Number,
Product Number, and
Serial Number

Not much we can do with just a model name.

Thanks,
SUMDALUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:10 AM   #3

I unplugged it for about 4-6 hours and it has been working fine every since. Im not sure what the model number n all tht is or i would have naturally put it up there. Not sure where to find it. Looked all over 4 it. ty
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Take your fridge control off AUTO and select AC manually, if you have no LP gas in your tank.
If on AUTO will switch to LP and non there, will just shut off if no AC also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 AM   #5

When i switch the auto button off all it does is switch to gas and shuts the unit down. I think the unit may be freezing up n unplugging it for tht long just allows for the a/c lines to defrost. Im not sure. Im a veteran auto technician so im just going by what i have seen in cars. evaporators, lines freezing by the driers, etc etc. either usually means a blockage in a car or the orifice is not opening sufficiently simulating a blockage. what happens when it switches to gas and wont go back unless the auto button is depressed? then what? Plz tell me how u select AC manually plz. I dont keep gas in the tanks. Ty
Old 08-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When your fridge is set to AC operation your heating elements are what heat the fluid in the cooling coils for your fridge to cool down, has nothing to do with defrosting.
Take a look at this link for operation of RV Refrigerator.
In most cases when you hold the Mode button it will select the operation of fridge LP Gas or AC heating of elements.
You would hold the button to force in which ever you wanted to select.
There should be a sticker label on inside of door to tell us what model fridge you have.

DOMETIC MANUAL
Old 08-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
When your fridge is set to AC operation your heating elements are what heat the fluid in the cooling coils for your fridge to cool down, has nothing to do with defrosting.
Take a look at this link for operation of RV Refrigerator.
In most cases when you hold the Mode button it will select the operation of fridge LP Gas or AC heating of elements.
You would hold the button to force in which ever you wanted to select.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:45 AM   #8

Well right now im batttling with it again as we speak. It looked like it was gonna defrost and then it jus got way 2 warm for my taste so im doing the whole unplugging it for a few hours(if my food in it makes it tht far) then plugging bk up. Works 4 abt 3 days. When i turn the power switch on first it normally will display gas light first then auto switch but if i dont get the gas light on first it will do nothing. I will try wat u said. Hopefully there is a manual setting on it. After holding it down n if it does switch to ac when i let up it should stay on ac with the button in the up position right?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #9

Unhappy

Well i just tried wat u said to do and it did nothing but stay on gas. I think its jus posessed. It basically does wat it wants. When i unplugged it for around 3 hrs abt 3 or 4 days ago it worked awesome. Better than it ever did. There is no gas in the tank and i really wished it would stop trying to go right 2 gas. There is AC power to it and it wont switch at all now. I dunno. Im stumped.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You may have a bad circuit board that is not sensing the 120vac. But have you actually tested for AC right at the fridge connection?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #11

Yes at both outlets i tried. The one tht belongs to the fridge and the one tht is actually on the electrical box outside. It has ac. U r probably right about the board. It cools really good after it comes back on for like 3 or 4 days. It self defrosts or jus shuts down n then i hae to unplug it for 4 to 6 hrs, risk my food, and then pray it comes back on. But its on right now. Ty and i think ur right.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #12

I c what your saying. no i didnt check there. the plug wires go into a joint connector that plugs together. The unit is working fine right now and will for the next 2 or 3 days then it will do it again i am sure. It probably is the board. gonna try to locate one asap. ty

Tags
dometic