Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #1

Simple electrical question... Or so I thought...

Attempted an install of a 12V cigarette lighter-style plug today. Connected it directly to the deep cell marine battery with a 30A inline fuse. No juice, no clue. I would love to understand what I possibly could have done wrong. Perhaps it's time to break out the new multimeter I bought and figure out how to use it...
jeffdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #2

I'll ask two silly questions. Do you have the centre pin on the lighter hooked to the positive terminal on the battery and if so do you have the outside body of the lighter hooked to ground.
calvinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #3

Yes. Power is good, seems to be that the
Plug is not making necessary contact.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is not uncommon,, NOT all plugs fit properly in all sockets

If you can (Even if it means sticking a straight pin through just ONE of the wires)

Measure the POSITIVE wire on the plug to the negative battery terminal or to the shell of the outlet.

If you do not get 12v, then it's the center pin,, If you do

Same measurement but the other wire pair (Negative wire on plug, center pin on socket)

NOTE: It could be a bad plug or a bad connection IN the plug

Using the multimeter also CAREFULLY contact the center pin in the socket, and touch the negative lead to the shell Should show battery voltage.

Could be a bad fuse.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Many of the male plugs that go into the female lighter receptacle also have their own fuses. You have to unscrew the tip and there might be a fuse inside. Hope this helps.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #6

The culprit ended up being a POS receptacle. Everything was wired perfectly, it just didn't work. Installed with a 30A inline fuse and everything is working great.
Old 07-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #7

Jeff don't attempt a 30 amp load through that power outlet...it will not handle that much electrical draw
Old 07-29-2012, 12:25 AM   #8

That was simply the fuse size recommended to me. The outlet is there primarily for a small fan and charging an ipod or ipad. I might consider a small power inverter in a pinch, but nothing too substantial.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdubya View Post
That was simply the fuse size recommended to me. The outlet is there primarily for a small fan and charging an ipod or ipad. I might consider a small power inverter in a pinch, but nothing too substantial.
3 amp is usually what the fuse is, not 30
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #10

An actual cigarette lighter has a high initial current draw when the element is cold (at its lowest resistance), which is why the recommended fuse is so high a rating. Using it purely as a 12Vdc power socket wouldn't need a 30A fuse and it certainly wouldn't protect any of the stuff you're planning to connect to it. The biggest draw would be the start-up current on the fan.

Just remember that an inverter will draw roughly 10x as much current on the DC side as it's supplying to the AC side. The draw is inversely proportional to the voltage for a given power flow.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #11

30 amps seems like a lot of amps to be put through "a POS receptacle" as you called it.
Whats the receptacle rated for ?
What gauge wire did you use to run the receptacle?
How long of a run from the battery ?

Simple things can get complicated
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:40 PM   #12

I'll be the first to admit that I know NOTHING about automotive / 12V electrical. I'll get you all the answers and see how small of a fuse I can get for that fuse holder.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMinflorida View Post
30 amps seems like a lot of amps to be put through "a POS receptacle" as you called it.
Replaced the POS receptacle with one that works, if it matters.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
Just remember that an inverter will draw roughly 10x as much current on the DC side as it's supplying to the AC side. The draw is inversely proportional to the voltage for a given power flow.
Do you have a way of saying this that would be more understandable by someone like me