Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2023, 05:35 PM   #1
TSB

Slide/leveling jacks not working, HWH pump inop

Wanted to share my experience with an inoperative leveling system and hydraulic living room slide, sorry if this has already been posted......

Recently my HWH leveling system stopped working. I had power at the dash control, but the jacks would not move/retract from the extended position. I was curious if the main living room slide would operate, as this is also hydraulically operated. Alas, it would not, indicating some issue with the hydraulics, common to both systems.

I made some quick checks at the pump, confirming I had 12v power reaching the relay, and I confirmed all inline fuses were OK. I also took a jumper wire and ran it from the relay 12v battery lug directly to the pump motor to see if the pump would operate; it did, telling me power was not getting to the pump for some reason.

At this point I decided I could start replacing components, or consult the internet for assistance. Surprisingly, I quickly found an HWH service manual online and was able to print it out, ugh, all 52 pages of it.

The service manual contains a very good troubleshooting section. It leads you in a systematic, logical progression through various checks and tests. In my case, the Master Relay failed its test. This also passed my personal logic test as it made sense that a failed relay would not allow power to transfer from the battery to the pump motor.

I located a replacement Master Relay online from Northwest RV Supply, although I think they in turn bought it from HWH Corporation and had it shipped directly to me. They were the cheapest I could find, total cost about $61 including shipping.

Installation is quick. Disconnect positive terminal from the chassis battery to prevent shorting, then simply disconnect wires from old relay and connect them to the new relay, using the old relay as a guide. The new relay does come with installation instructions if you want confirmation you are doing things properly. The relay itself is clamped to the starter motor and the clamp must me loosened with a straight-blade screwdriver or wrench to allow for removal of the old relay and installation of the new one. Reconnect the chassis battery and you are done.

I would strongly recommend locating and printing out a copy of the service manual. It really helped me out in this case. Always nice when you can confirm a component needs replacing before you get the credit card out!
TSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2023, 10:03 AM   #2

I wish you would have posted earlier, I could have saved you a bit of money.
Without knowing the model number of your HWH system, you should have 3 solenoids. I bought the 2 slave solenoids off Amazon for about the same cost of one from Northwest Supply.
For future reference, the improved replacement motor is available from Northern Tool for $194.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 06:28 AM   #3
TSB

Thanks for info. Guess I should clarify, we did see lower prices, including Amazon. Just concerned about aftermarket parts. I’ve had mixed success in that arena, and with a 1-month trip in the very near future, we didn’t want to take any chances. The photo for the part we bought matched our part exactly, down to the stickers. I’ll keep the pump motor tip in my back pocket for future use. Thanks again.
TSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, jacks, leveling, leveling jacks, pump, slide