Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2021, 06:34 AM   #1

Slide out will not operate

We have 2013 Surveyor Select 26’. My wife went out to the trailer to put some things up and tried to open the slide and it didn’t work. Not a sound. I went out to check and went back a couple of times and below is what I have tried and results with no success yet. I have not tried to operate the slide with the trailer hooked up to shore power yet. This is all with the batteries. Also, everything else in the trailer works properly with the batteries.
I check the batteries and they are both fully charged and had them check by auto parts store. I checked them with my meter when I installed them back on the trailer and they both are putting out 13.02 volts. I checked the fuses coming off both batteries and they are good. The fuse at the panel is good as well. The voltage coming into the panel is 14.12 volts. I tested the voltage to the switch and it is 9.34 volts. So, I unhooked the wires from the motor and the voltage from the switch to the motor is 9.34 volts. I didn’t understand why the voltage reduction from the panel to the switch and then to the motor. I pulled the motor off and connected the wires to a 6-12 volt battery charger and the motor ran fine. I checked the voltage coming from the battery charger and it is 5.14 volts. So, I then went back to the panel and pulled out the fuse and then checked the voltage to the fuse connection and it was 13.21 volts. Then I checked the voltage from the fuse connector out and I got 9.34 volts. So, I am assumed the motor needs 12 volts to operate. (I couldn’t find anything on the internet to verify that is the case.) Is the voltage suppose to be reduced at the fuse from 13.21 volts to 9.34 volts. It is a 30 amp fuse. I am not a electrician and not to sure why all of a sudden the motor stopped operating at the reduced voltage. Is it the motor bad and if it will run off the charger at 5.14 volts and not at the trailer with 9.34 volts? It should run off 9.34 volts? Also, the motor is a Venture 8532-18j. Any help is appreciated!
Bconn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bconn55 View Post
We have 2013 Surveyor Select 26’. My wife went out to the trailer to put some things up and tried to open the slide and it didn’t work. Not a sound. I went out to check and went back a couple of times and below is what I have tried and results with no success yet. I have not tried to operate the slide with the trailer hooked up to shore power yet. This is all with the batteries. Also, everything else in the trailer works properly with the batteries.

I check the batteries and they are both fully charged and had them check by auto parts store. I checked them with my meter when I installed them back on the trailer and they both are putting out 13.02 volts. I checked the fuses coming off both batteries and they are good. The fuse at the panel is good as well. The voltage coming into the panel is 14.12 volts. I tested the voltage to the switch and it is 9.34 volts. So, I unhooked the wires from the motor and the voltage from the switch to the motor is 9.34 volts. I didn’t understand why the voltage reduction from the panel to the switch and then to the motor. I pulled the motor off and connected the wires to a 6-12 volt battery charger and the motor ran fine. I checked the voltage coming from the battery charger and it is 5.14 volts. So, I then went back to the panel and pulled out the fuse and then checked the voltage to the fuse connection and it was 13.21 volts. Then I checked the voltage from the fuse connector out and I got 9.34 volts. So, I am assumed the motor needs 12 volts to operate. (I couldn’t find anything on the internet to verify that is the case.) Is the voltage suppose to be reduced at the fuse from 13.21 volts to 9.34 volts. It is a 30 amp fuse. I am not a electrician and not to sure why all of a sudden the motor stopped operating at the reduced voltage. Is it the motor bad and if it will run off the charger at 5.14 volts and not at the trailer with 9.34 volts? It should run off 9.34 volts? Also, the motor is a Venture 8532-18j. Any help is appreciated!

Voltage should be the same on both sides of fuse. Voltage will drop when you put a load on it a little not 13.21 to 9.34 You say that it’s 14.12 volts at panel is that plugged in and charger on? You need a minimum of 12 volts or over. I would hook another battery or use jumper cables to see if it makes any difference.
Old 10-07-2021, 04:27 PM   #3

The 14.12 volts is with the batteries. No shore power. I will try the battery charger and see if that helps. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #4

This is one of those what has changed problems. Voltage drops can be high across poor/corroded connections. My RV electrical panel has the label "main slide out and lights" on the same circuit. You may have to temporarily wire 12 volts to your switch and motor from your batteries. You can get automotive self resetting breakers to provide protection.
phfkef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #5

I have finally gotten back in town and went and got our RV from storage and brought it home. I hooked our 30 amp plug into our home jack (I have a separate hookup just for the trailer) and tried the slide and nothing. I tested the voltage to the switch and it was 13 volts. I tested the voltage to the wire connected to the slide out motor and 12 volts. I pulled the motor off and hooked it up to my battery charger at 6 volts charge and the motor turned at 5.5 volts. I switched it to 12 volt charged and the motor ran again at 10 volts. I then did as PFHKEF suggested earlier and ran a wire directly from the battery on the RV to the motor and the slide out worked. Everything else in the trailer works on AC and DC current. I also checked all the fuses at the panel and the 2 after the cable leaves the batteries and they are good. Please somebody help!!!
Old 10-14-2021, 08:29 PM   #6
Alx

Don't know if this will help but basically same thing happened to our slide (we have two), bdrm worked, living didn't, switched the plugs and living worked and bdrm didn't. Applied Dielectric grease and..... worked, just wasn't making a good connection. Simple but maybe try?
Alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #7

Not too sure I understand the plug you are talking about. Could you give me more details? Thanks
Old 10-15-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
Alx

Sorry, I should have explained, tomorrow, I will take a picture and forward to you, that way you can identify if you have the same thing.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #9
Alx

Hi again, sorry I wasn't able to get out to our motorhome and take a picture today..... very wet rainy day here :(
Anyway, the plugs I'm speaking of are where the slides get their power from, our power source is located in a basement storage compartment. If you look at your manual, it will most likely direct you to that location. Hope that helps.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #10

Thanks! Appreciate your help!

Tags
slide, slide out