RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #1

Slideouts open by themselves?!

Has anyone had their slideouts come open all by themselves? I took my Fleetwood Bounder to a generator shop for repairs. I dropped it off, handed the keys over to the shop owner and left. The next day the owner called me to let me know two out of three slides came open overnight. His security video shows the slides opening at 4:19am. Nobody got into the RV and nobody was around it.
Shawn143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Your hydraulic fluid might below if in fact you have such a system. Please tell us what system you do have

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:13 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That is very odd. Never heard of that before.

The slide out needs 12V power to open/close the hyd solenoids and run the pump motor (or just 12V if you have an electric slide).

Not sure how all the slides could get power at the same time in the middle of the night.

Are sure there isn't a hobo living in your Coach now?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #4

Yeah I don’t have a hydraulic system. Just electric motors and gears. About a year ago I took my RV to a generator repair shop. They had the RV for over a week and we’re not able to even look at it because they were so busy. I went to pick up the unit because we had reservations at a campground and I observed the slides were extended. I asked the owner of the shop why the slides were open? He replied that he Thought we opened them. This led to me accusing him or his employees of using my RV as their personal love shack. We never went back to him. Now this guy comes to work on the RV first thing he noticed was the slides were extended. His first thought was that someone got into the RV. The doors were locked and nothing looked disturbed. So he referred to his security video. The video shows two of the slides coming open and nobody else Around the coach. He called me to tell me something strange happened and asked me if he could retract the slides. He said when he started the engine one of the slides retracted by itself. The other he needed to press the button in order to retract it Very strange.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:02 PM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is a Fleetwood, nothing else can be said...

Probably the spirit of the deceased assembly worker that they just hid in the wall so they wouldn't miss the daily quota. He is just having some fun messing with you.

Gotta be a short, somewhere but you already knew that. Something going screwy in the Intellitec System?

What year and model?
Old 09-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #6

Well I didn’t post this for someone to criticize the Make of my RV that I’ve worked hard to provide for my family. But thank you for your input. Greatly appreciated.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #7

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Wiring problems!

Have you had rodents in or under your rig? They can cause terrible damage to the wiring.

Probably connected to the generator problem.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:02 PM   #8

Ya I had signs that a mouse had come aboard one time. But that was two years ago.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #9

You're going to have to stop parking over graves. Or something.

More seriously, this is really odd. But you knew that already. So...are all the slides on one switch, or is each one on its own switch? How many, if they are separate?

Do you perchance have a wiring diagram for the coach?
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
You're going to have to stop parking over graves. Or something.

More seriously, this is really odd. But you knew that already. So...are all the slides on one switch, or is each one on its own switch? How many, if they are separate?

Do you perchance have a wiring diagram for the coach?
Hi there are three slides. All of them have their own switches on three separate locations, front, mid coach and rear. I do not have a wiring diagram. I do make sure to kill the coach batteries even when I park it for a short time now.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #11

Possible Recall?

We had a controller issue that allowed the slides to move by themselves at random times while parked. We took it twice to the Dealer and once to a repair shop. Neither of them could replicate or troubleshoot the problem.

Received a recall notice from the manufacturer about 8 months after purchase that the controllers were faulty. Swapped controllers at the shop and have not had a problem in the last 12 months.

They recommended pulling the slide fuse when parked to avoid the problem.

Iím not saying that this is the problem, just that it is similar to what happened to us.
raeburn2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn143 View Post
Has anyone had their slideouts come open all by themselves? I took my Fleetwood Bounder to a generator shop for repairs. I dropped it off, handed the keys over to the shop owner and left. The next day the owner called me to let me know two out of three slides came open overnight. His security video shows the slides opening at 4:19am. Nobody got into the RV and nobody was around it.

Yep, had the same issue with a fleetwood bounder after a local repair shop worked on it. As I recall there is a lever on top of the slide motor that will prevent this. I flipped the lever, which locked the motor and held the slide in place. Activating the motor thru the switch overrides this lever and allows the slide to transfer in and out as normal.

Tags
ems, slide, slideout