Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #1

Solar Powered Refrigerator Fan

I'm trying to get the fridge on my 1996 truck camper to work better. The fridge is a dometic 2193. I've read about mounting computer fans in the back of the fridge (outside) to increase air flow over the fins at the top of the fridge, to get it to cool better in hot weather.

I've got two ideas:
1. hook up a 120mm computer fan directly to a 5w solar panel - one of those cheap ones I bought that were supposed to charge the battery but don't really work. This way, the fan will run only when it's sunny and warm. Sun comes up, fan goes on, sun goes down or it gets out of direct sunlight, fan stops.

2. hook up same computer fan and same solar panel, but also wire in a 12v motorcycle battery, which I happen to have laying around. The battery would be mounted in the bottom of the fridge box, on the left side (burner and chimney are on the right). I'm told these fans use so little power that the fan should run all night on the battery, then the battery will re charge during the day even while running the fan. Result will be 24 hour/day fridge fan. The battery should work as a sink or capacitor, in case the solar panel puts out to much unregulated power in direct sun (I'd have to check the battery water regularly)

Any ideas why this would or would not work? I was a little concerned about a battery in the same space as a propane burner, but I think the thermocoupler should keep this safe from a propane explosion.

Thanks for any input!
hpcbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:20 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I think the battery/solar idea would work, but you will probably need a bigger solar panel to fully charge your battery since your current panel won't run the fan by itself. I would add 2 more things to the system.

First a switch so you could turn the fan off while allowing the battery to charge to stop it from getting too low (remember a MC battery is not a deep cycle battery.) Cycle it down too low and you will greatly shorten its life. Tying the fridge fan into your camper battery (if any) is preferable.

Second I would add a thermoswitch, available from Dometic, which switches the fan on when temps behind the fridge reach 124 degrees and off when not needed, saving battery power. Here's a thread on another forum that will give you more info: My Fridge Fan Mod

Chip
Old 07-19-2014, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpcbmw View Post
I'm trying to get the fridge on my 1996 truck camper to work better. The fridge is a dometic 2193. I've read about mounting computer fans in the back of the fridge (outside) to increase air flow over the fins at the top of the fridge, to get it to cool better in hot weather.

I've got two ideas:
1. hook up a 120mm computer fan directly to a 5w solar panel - one of those cheap ones I bought that were supposed to charge the battery but don't really work. This way, the fan will run only when it's sunny and warm. Sun comes up, fan goes on, sun goes down or it gets out of direct sunlight, fan stops.

2. hook up same computer fan and same solar panel, but also wire in a 12v motorcycle battery, which I happen to have laying around. The battery would be mounted in the bottom of the fridge box, on the left side (burner and chimney are on the right). I'm told these fans use so little power that the fan should run all night on the battery, then the battery will re charge during the day even while running the fan. Result will be 24 hour/day fridge fan. The battery should work as a sink or capacitor, in case the solar panel puts out to much unregulated power in direct sun (I'd have to check the battery water regularly)

Any ideas why this would or would not work? I was a little concerned about a battery in the same space as a propane burner, but I think the thermocoupler should keep this safe from a propane explosion.

Thanks for any input!
hpcbmw
Why not run the added computer fan with 12V from the truck camper "house battery", (or don't truck campers have house batteries)?
Wondering?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would use the standard hookup with the thermal switch at the top of the coils to turn the fans on when the temp reaches the setpoint! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the ideas. I haven't checked yet to see if the solar panel will run the fan without a battery - gotta pick up a fan today. I'll look into the thermoswitch.

I don't want to tie into the house battery because I'm working on minimizing all drains on the house battery. My original idea was very simple - solar power to fan - without any addtl drain on the house battery, need for switches, batteries, etc. Of course, it's getting more complicated, as always. I think I'll try solar direct to the fan first. I've got a couple cheapo solar panels. I'll see if one is stronger then the other. If it doesn't work, then I'll add the addlt battery and thermocoupler and battery to fan switch.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Are you talking about something like this?

Solar-powered RV Fridge Vent System - Camco 42165 - Refrigerator Accessories - Camping World
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #7

DDDonkey, yes, similar to this, but about $70 cheaper. Also, I've read that the camping world fans die after a year.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #8

The camco item is truly junk. first the fan failed because the shaft s loaded in the wrong direction and it took more current than the panels could supply to get it started - then the panels cracked. total waste of money.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #9

if you look at my post you can see what i did to help my unit work better

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/rv-f...ml#post1996782
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 09:34 AM   #10

I bought a 120mm fan from BestBuy for $10.00 and hooked it directly to the 5w solar panel and it works fine. I ziptied the fan to the vent panel at the top of the fridge, right in front of the fins, blowing out. I'll be checking the fridge temp with fan off vs on over the next week.

Terry, I never found the solar info in your write up, but amazing job you are doing on your rv rebuild.

Tags
power, fan, refrigerator, solar