Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 10:33 PM   #1

Some LED lights don't work in my Bounder

I've got a 2004 Bounder 35E. I've replaced all of the 1156 incandescent bulbs with LED type. When I put an LED bulb in the fixtures in the living room slide out they do not work. When I put the same LED light in any other fixture they works fine. I thought it might be the fixture so I installed new fixtures, incandescent bulb works fine but LED dose not. What is really strange is even with 1 incandescent bulb in 1 socket and an LED in the other (with the switch in the on position for both socket) only the incandescent bulb turns on. How is that possible?
Carolina Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Polarity is reversed, meaning that the wiring is backwards. Incandescent's don't care, LED's do.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
LED Polarity

Since the led's are polarity sensitive and the 1156 can be inserted with the pins in two differect orientations you have a 50/50 chance of the bulb working with every insertation. Remove and reinsert with a 180 degree rotation. With all the changes you have made something along this line should have presented itself.
One other thing I have noticed in my change over to LED's is the bottom connection, especially on bulbs with two contacts, is not really up to specs and needed a dab or two of solder to make a good contact. Good Luck
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Commercial Member

First, let's correct invalid information here. 1156 bulbs have a bayonet base with a center connection. They can not be reversed unless you have some sort of 1156 to some other base adapter.

The original OP problem is reverse polarity. The two wires feeding the fixture are connected backwards. Just cut and reconnect them and everything will work.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Opps my mistake

Time and distance clouded my memory on my LED switch over. Polarity was only an issue on some of my external marker lights and chassis signals.

shiggs68 is correct, please disregard my previous advice. Thanks
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Polarity is reversed, meaning that the wiring is backwards. Incandescent's don't care, LED's do.
Yep!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #7

It was polarity

Thanks for the help. It was polarity. I must be getting old. Polarity should have been the first thing I thought of.
Carolina Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Fun View Post
Thanks for the help. It was polarity. I must be getting old. Polarity should have been the first thing I thought of.
Been there - done that. Sometimes we can't see the tree for the forest.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounder, lights