Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Splendide 2000 S NOISY!!!!

Is this normal? This thing shakes like crazy and when it really gets to spinning it sounds like a baseball is bouncing around in there at super speed... It's a year old and wasn't really ever used by the previous owners. If that's the way it's supposed to be, then I'll just use facilities at various RV parks.
Anyone know ?
Thanks
Ed
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2010, 09:16 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Our splendide makes a ton of noise but still works great. We often turn it on right before we leave the coach and when we come back everything is washed and dried. We have big front loaders at home which make even more racket so we may be used to the sound.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:18 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedward1555 View Post
Anyone know ?
ED, Pull the unit out and see if there is an anchor on the back of the cabinet that the unit may slide onto.

If you cut a 1/2" or 3/4" piecve of plywood and place it under the machine sometimes improving the base will keep the machine from bouncing around so much.

Good luck!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Is this normal? This thing shakes like crazy and when it really gets to spinning...
Ours whirs like a small jet engine & it does make the coach shimmy & awning lights sway when it's on the spin cycle. More often than not, I'll put it on low spin just to keep the neighbors from winking at us when we come out.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Be sure the shipping bolts have been removed. This allows the suspension to help but not eliminate shaking the unit.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

I don't have the phone number, but Splendide has a help line that seems to be a great resource to the folks that posted comments on escapees.com. I think the phone # is on there. Look back about a year ago. Seems like the noise issue was addressed in that thread, and the solution.
Ours does not make enough noise to interfere with watching the tele, which is right beside it. Since our Splendide is mounted bow to stern(looking at the front) there is just a little vibration felt in the RV. We use between-the-wheel chocks, which makes a great difference.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #7

If I remember right there is a button on the front of the machine that is for a slower spin (800 RPM instead of 1,200 RPM), which helps on the noise and shake but still spins fast enough for every function. Try it and see if that's any help for your problem.

Wagonmaster2

Just re-checked, the button says "Low Spin".
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Our 2000S isn't real noisy - we sometimes leave it running when we go to bed at night (its right in the bedroom too). When stiing in the living area, we don't hear it all over normal conversation and only notice when it changes cycles, e.g. begins a spin cycle and it shudders a bit. Guests look up in alarm when that happens, because they haven't heard it running but feel the vibration when it starts a spin.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Is this normal? This thing shakes like crazy and when it really gets to spinning it sounds like a baseball is bouncing around in there at super speed... It's a year old and wasn't really ever used by the previous owners. ..
Ed
Ed,
Oftentimes, it a very easy fix that often goes undone for some reason or another...

I assume this was hardly used due to the vibration you are experiencing. It might be a simple matter of snugging-down the legs & rechecking to ensure the appliance is absolutely "plumb". The 3 "shipping bolts" mentioned above are on the rear of the unit & must be removed [leaving vacant holes in the chassis ]. I installed mine myself; it works like a charm, except for the start-up of the spin cycle causes a low-level vibration [but nothing on the scale that you are having].

BTW: If you pull it out [for those with a drain overflow pan underneath].. the pan will have a drain at the left-hand rear corner that is piped outside. You must open the front dam of the drain pan first. Remove the front 1 inch high barrier from the pan's lip. The washer then slides forward [leaving the drain pan inplace inside the cabinet. If the pan moves forward with the appliance, you might have to redo the drain overflow at the rear.
..If however, no drain pan... you can slide it forward, just watch the hose and vent connections are free to extend.

You should be able to troubleshoot this & get it to settle down.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:11 PM   #10

We often have a terrible clunking when the spin cycle starts but it is always caused by an out of balance load. Stopping and letting the laundry settle will fix this imbalance. It sometimes takes doing it twice but rarely more than that. It really seems to depend upon the type of load (sheets seems to be the worst as they tend to clump up) and the amount of laundry in the load.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well finally got around to investigating/tinkering with it again and even got Splendide help desk on the line. Turns out it was a leveling problem (even though the dealer assured me it was level)... and after leveling I found a helpful guy at Home Depot who understood what I was describing and we came up with a way to "jack down" pressure from the top (shelf above and top of washing machine) to ensure it stays in place and stays level... Now it works great.... even the "self load leveling" works... I've watched it correct itself..
Great machine... But so many wrinkles in the clothes
THanks for all the great advice... it worked
Ed
tedward1555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Put less clothes in and the wrinkle problem is much reduced. Our wash & wear stuff comes out ok.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Glad to hear you got it fixed. I used ours for the first time and it runs quiet and when spinning the MH does shake but not too bad. I think it will come in real handy. Good luck.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DW used our new unit for the first time Monday. No noise, no shaking.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote