Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio (Columbus)
Posts: 669
Stairs not acting properly

Stairs are acting up.

When they retract the gear continues to spin for 10 seconds giving off a loud grinding noise. Also the bottom step sags when I step on it.

It was working fine when I left it at the dealer (Ford dealer) I suspect something happened there but don't know what.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks,

Roll
__________________
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AB
Posts: 7,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Stairs are acting up.

When they retract the gear continues to spin for 10 seconds giving off a loud grinding noise. Also the bottom step sags when I step on it.

It was working fine when I left it at the dealer (Ford dealer) I suspect something happened there but don't know what.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks,

Roll
I would start buy crawling under with a wrench/socket to check and make sure the bolts that hold it in place are tight.
Then, grab a good spray type lubricant and make sure all the pivot points are lubricated well.
These are the two most common problems with entry steps.
__________________
2019 Unity LTV CB, pushed by a 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
RV Mutant #14
 
Wayne M's Avatar


 
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 16,743
There are also some bushings and they can work their way out of a spot. As stated, crawl under, tighten, check/inspect, and lubricate.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse) RVM14 (ARS: KE5QG)
Lexi - Goldendoodle
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD - 2020 Lincoln Nautilus Reserve
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio (Columbus)
Posts: 669
Problem identified.

The main gear bolt, the shoulder bolt that holds the large gear up and that it pivots on, was broken. Where the threaded end goes into the plate that attached to the coach, it sheared off.

Don't know how that happened, Dealer ran it into something or put excessive weight on it while it was only partially open is my guess. As I said before it was working perfectly when I dropped it off for an unrelated repair.

These are double Lippert stairs. I see them on line for $600 plus. I ordered two of the shoulder bolts and plan to attempt a repair with one and keep the other with the hope I never need it. $5.30 each.

We'll see how this goes.

Roll
__________________
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Problem identified.
Don't know how that happened, Dealer ran it into something or put excessive weight on it while it was only partially open is my guess. As I said before it was working perfectly when I dropped it off for an unrelated repair.
Roll
I found damage to the gears of my Kwikee steps after a unrelated repair on my coach, (put excessive weight on it while it was only partially open is my guess also).
It is sad but true, often certified shops do more damage, (at $120 hr), than good.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
dennis45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: AB
Posts: 7,587
Glad to hear you found the problem. Yes, sometimes they can cause more trouble than they fix. I had mine in to replace the AC Compressor and said, might as well change oil/filters while your at it.
They ended up destroying the oil filter housing trying to get the filter off without the proper tool. New housing was about $600 from Cummins. Fortunately, a friend had one that he gave me or it could have been expensive. Then, they wanted me to pay their labor. A discussion ensued to say the least.
__________________
2019 Unity LTV CB, pushed by a 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake
dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio (Columbus)
Posts: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Glad to hear you found the problem. Yes, sometimes they can cause more trouble than they fix. I had mine in to replace the AC Compressor and said, might as well change oil/filters while your at it.
They ended up destroying the oil filter housing trying to get the filter off without the proper tool. New housing was about $600 from Cummins. Fortunately, a friend had one that he gave me or it could have been expensive. Then, they wanted me to pay their labor. A discussion ensued to say the least.
It is interesting to know others have had similar experiences.

I have been at odds with this Dealer over these issues. First a stripped axle housing they blamed on me and then when I took it in for the repair of the housing it was returned with damage to the stairs.

The Service Manager actually called me a liar (to my wife) and claimed that I am scheming to get them to cover or repair things they had no involvement with or responsibility for. At 63 years old this is the first time in my life anyone has made such accusations about me. A bit disturbing frankly.

I picked up the coach deciding I was much better off either trying to fix it myself or that I would take it back to the RV dealer who always did a great job for me and treated me as a valued customer. Iíd rather suffer the expense than return to the Ford Dealer.

I know the damages (both) happened at the Ford Dealer; they claim otherwise but I fear that leaving it with them again will only result in additional unexpected damages.

Sorry to rant but I regret the day I took the coach in to them for anything. Now I gather others have had similar experiences with auto/truck dealers. Knowing that I guess the lesson is to stick to RV dealerships or repair facilities. They at least know enough about RVs not to break things while trying to fix something else.
__________________
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
My guess is that the service tech or someone at the shop had put their body weight on the steps before they were fully extended. The double steps take longer to deploy than a single step.

Just my opinion.

They broke it, they should repair it. You just need to be firm.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
They broke it, they should repair it. You just need to be firm.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
That is imposable when they DENY that they did the damage....(without taking legal action which would probably cost more than the required repair).
Here are two of the 5-6 experiences I have had with "repair" shops in the last 12 years:

1.) A Cummins shop damaged my Kwikee in the process of an oil change/chassis lube.
The step worked when I left the coach in their shop, it did not when I picked it up.
They would not accept responsibility.
I had to disassemble the step mechanism, order parts, and replace the broken components myself.

2.) I had a battery shop check the condition of the six batteries I had purchased from them two years before.
When I left their shop the alternator was NOT charging.
I turned my coach around and returned to the shop.
When I told them, the tech said: "It wasn't me"!
They REFUSED to look for the problem/solution.
I took the coach to a nearby alternator shop where they found a wire connected wrong and corrected it.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
That is imposable when they DENY that they did the damage....(without taking legal action which would probably cost more than the required repair).
Here are two of the 5-6 experiences I have had with "repair" shops in the last 12 years:

1.) A Cummins shop damaged my Kwikee in the process of an oil change/chassis lube.
The step worked when I left the coach in their shop, it did not when I picked it up.
They would not accept responsibility.
I had to disassemble the step mechanism, order parts, and replace the broken components myself.

2.) I had a battery shop check the condition of the six batteries I had purchased from them two years before.
When I left their shop the alternator was NOT charging.
I turned my coach around and returned to the shop.
When I told them, the tech said: "It wasn't me"!
They REFUSED to look for the problem/solution.
I took the coach to a nearby alternator shop where they found a wire connected wrong and corrected it.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
Mel,

I think you need to find another RV shop to deal with your repairs and concerns. The one you are currently using obviously has a bunch of red necks working there and they have no clue as to what they are doing.

Of course, sometimes due to location, it may be the ONLY game in town. In that case you are STUCK with their incompetence.

just my opinion.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
Registered User
 
mel s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 8,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mel,

I think you need to find another RV shop to deal with your repairs and concerns. The one you are currently using obviously has a bunch of red necks working there and they have no clue as to what they are doing.

Of course, sometimes due to location, it may be the ONLY game in town. In that case you are STUCK with their incompetence.

just my opinion.
Dr4Film
I've NEVER given a bad shop a second shot at me, (fool me once and I'm done)!
Unfortunately I have found that "incompetence" seems to be the common denominator among service "experts".
Over the 12 years, (103k miles), that I have owned my coach, I have had incompetent service done at shops in many different locations, (Yuma AZ... Bloominton MN... Mandeville LA... Webster City IA...Indianapolis IN... and Wausau WI).
Although I have found a few, reliable/responsible shops are hard to find, (especially when you have a problem while traveling).
Mel
'96 Safari Sahara
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:57 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio (Columbus)
Posts: 669
Interesting comment from Dr4film.

My unfortunate experience (and mistake) was going to a Ford Truck and Auto Dealer instead of an RV dealer for the work.

I won't do that again unless I: 1) limit the work to chassis service only and 2) stay with the vehicle while the work is done.

I have a great RV service department at the dealer where I bought the unit I just grew tired of the 70 mile drive (one way) to get work done. Otherwise they treated me quite well and always did great work (and no unpleasant surprises). There was one time they failed to fix a problem properly but it was no questions asked when I returned for a proper repair.

Unlike the Ford Dealer who accused me of lying and scheming.
__________________
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Ohio (Columbus)
Posts: 669
Stairs are fixed I think.

Cleaned and lubed all the moving parts; reassembled the stairs, disassembled the stairs, reassembled the stairs, (a couple of times until I was certain I had it right). Then mounted the assembly and making sure I had all my limbs out of the way, plugged the stair into the wiring harness.

I installed the stair set fully extended, or so I thought but when I plugged them in, they immediately pushed out a bit more until the large gear banged up against the stop, (designed for that it appears to me).

So my question:

When they retract, they pull in nicely and stop, no grinding gears, banging metal or other signs of distress.

When they extend its a bit different. They move out smoothly then there is a momentary hesitation and a heavy clunk when the gear hits the metal stop. I'm wondering if I have the large gear off a tooth or two.

The steps are nice and solid now, not dropping down or making unusual noises except for the clunk at the very end of the extension operation.

Roll
__________________
2011 Coachmen Encounter 37TZ Ford F-53,BluOx/Patriot.Toad:2018 Wrangler Unltd Sahara. Invert-4/6Vbatts-SolarChg-AutoTransSw-WG traveler-HDMICbls-SafeTPlus-track bar-Awnings-GenAutoSt-CHF-pwr cord storage sys-Garmin-outsideHDTV, LED interior lighting, Brazels tuning.
Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
bruceisla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Foley AL
Posts: 7,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll View Post
Stairs are fixed I think.

Cleaned and lubed all the moving parts; reassembled the stairs, disassembled the stairs, reassembled the stairs, (a couple of times until I was certain I had it right). Then mounted the assembly and making sure I had all my limbs out of the way, plugged the stair into the wiring harness.

I installed the stair set fully extended, or so I thought but when I plugged them in, they immediately pushed out a bit more until the large gear banged up against the stop, (designed for that it appears to me).

So my question:

When they retract, they pull in nicely and stop, no grinding gears, banging metal or other signs of distress.

When they extend its a bit different. They move out smoothly then there is a momentary hesitation and a heavy clunk when the gear hits the metal stop. I'm wondering if I have the large gear off a tooth or two.

The steps are nice and solid now, not dropping down or making unusual noises except for the clunk at the very end of the extension operation.

Roll
Are they like these:

http://www.strombergcarlson.com/pdf/...epElectric.pdf
__________________
2005 Newmar Essex 4502, 2013 Caddy SRX
1997 HR Endeavor 37, CAT, 1996 Geo Tracker
bruceisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.