Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
On October 19 we installed a new fixture outside our entry door to replace the existing entry lamp which was constantly being challenged by the weather. Everytime I turned around it would seem that the bulb was cracked from being soaked by the rain.

During the WCMC Rally here in Myrtle Beach I met Ralph Kinzer who offered this product at his display.

Smart Light 1000 w/ Star Monitor

Getting the old lamp off was quite a challenge since Winnebago applies an RTV type seal in the back of the old fixture. I removed the 4 screws that were holding the old fixture and had to peel off the back plate. Once that was done, I made surer the power to the fixture was switched off and I cut the 2 feed wires, black and white that powered the lamp.

Installing the new Smart Light was pretty easy since the existing holes in the old fixture lined right up to the Smart Light's mounting holes. I had a tube of clear RTV and I filled all the old screw holes. I retained a lot of the white RTV that Winnebago had applied and I rolled it up a golf ball size affair and stuck that in the 1 inch or so hole in the sidewall where the wires came out. I used 2 cap connectors and crimped the wires together.

The new Smart Light oddly does not have a base gasket however there is a concave channel all around the base where is was instructed that I apply a bead of the clear RTV. There is a weep hole at the 6 o'clock position that should not be coverred.

I aligned the holes in the fixture to the holes in the body and mounted the fixture quite easily. The wires behind the fixture wrapped around the inside of the body and didn't present a problem. I tightened the screws and the fixture was mounted. I then applied a small bead or RTV from the 7 o'clock position to the 5 o'clock position around the base of the fixture just to make sure. There is a printed circuit board in the fiture along with some sensitive sensors. I installed a white bulb and fitted the lens. 5 screws are required to secure the lens. The lens is quite water proof under normal conditions however it is recommended not to hit it with a pressure washer.

OK!

Now what does this thing do aside from light up the area like any other light? Well unremarkably it certainly does that if you turn the switch ON "once". The lamp will stay on all night long in manual mode. The Star Monitor function will be invoked and it will show a RED LED in the event battery voltage dips below 11.5 volts and it will turn the lamp OFF and the RED LED will remain lit.

Here the fun part of all of this. If you turn the lamp, ON-OFF-ON, this sets up the fixture in auto mode. At night the light will come on then go off by itself. The Smart Light has an infrared mass sensor. When the light is armed it flashes a BLUE LED. When you approach the fixture, at approximately 15 feet away the lamp will come on automatically and will stay lit for about 1 minute. If you remain outside the light will sense mass and it will come on again. The light's sensors will disregard a small IR mass like a criter or a small dog or cat. On the other hand a bear or moose will definitely trigger it.

The SL1000's circuit board has DIP switches that can adjust the sensivity for both the front and rear sensor. You can see these sensors in the photo.

The Smart Light®
Overview

The Smart Light® is controlled by a microprocessor that contains hundreds of lines of programming, giving The Smart Light® its intelligence. The Smart Light® is designed for 12- volt applications such as lighting RV entryways and camping areas. Its low profile of 2 inches allows it to be mounted on any side of the vehicle. Installation is easy – the hole-pattern is the same as most standard lights. Importantly, The Smart Light® is reverse polarity protected which means that even if you install it wrong, it won't damage The Smart Light®.

The Smart Light® can function as a normal entryway light, but what makes it better is that its functions expand to include motion detection, battery low detection, and daylight automatic shut off. To enter the motion detection mode, the light switch is turned on, then off, then on again within 15 seconds. This action tells the microprocessor to start working. If the light is turned off for more then 15 seconds, it reverts to the normal light function mode.

for more information ..... Starlights SL1000
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is a little pricey, but probably worth it since it provides some security lighting as well as some more light for safety.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by FLYTYER:
It is a little pricey, but probably worth it since it provides some security lighting as well as some more light for safety.
Ralph offered the light for $10 off of MSRP at the rally.

With that blue light blinking up on the side of the motorhome it's either going to send a message that there's great sale going on at K-Mart or a there's an active security device armed on the motorhome.

I have only had the light for a couple of weeks but I am getting used to it and it's welcome at times when you're coming home after dark especially now that EST is back in play.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You get to learn how things work after a while. The flashing BLUE light (LED) is a daytime monitor and it tells you that the system is active. At night the fixture begins flashing GREEN and the motion detector function becomes enabled.

I'm liking being able to walk up to my door after dark and not having to struggle with finding the right keys for the locks. This is definitely a more worthy function at this time of the year especially if you are using your MH a lot or living in it full time.

If the fixture flashes RED your coach batteries are below 12 volts are require attention. Coinciding with the RED LED alert the light circuitry automatically disables the 12 volt power to the exterior lamp and it will not come on.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #5

I have one and love it. We don't have a dog to alert us to people or 'things' coming up on us after dark so this light does give us a certain amount of security. I called the manufacturer and asked them if they had an amber lense to help with bugs. Said no but will and did send me an amber bulb free of charge. Thinking about another one in the rear to protect toad.
Steve

Alcoa Dura Bright rims
Steve & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
My dealer gave me an amber bulb when I bought the unit but I failed to install it so I'm still running a white light at the moment.

It's a little cool outside right now and I tell ya that the IR sensor on my StarLight is turning on the light when I'm about 30 feet from the entry door.

I'm very pleased with the performance of the unit. If you're on the road a lot or full time, I think this would be a nice upgrade.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 PM   #7

I too, bought and installed this this weekend. It is great. I painted it with the "fusion" brand spray paint to match my coach. It fit perfectly, the holes lined up with my existing installation and works exactly as described.
Here's what I would like to mention. I came to the rv park from work a coupla nights and noticed the light flashing green. According to the instructions that came with it, this meant that one of the sensors was malfunctioning. I called the 1800 # in the back, Of course I got the leave a message routine, I thought Yeah right, I know how this'll turn out, but I dutifully left my message explaining the situation. About 10:30 pm, My phone rang, the inventor himself, Greg Wilson, called me to discuss the light. He told me as posted above that the flashing green meant it had went into motion detecting mode at night. We talked a bit, Greg is an Rv'er and I went on my way feeling a little ashamed that I had doubted someone would actually ever call me back. The light (I used the clear bulb) is bright and working up to 25-30 feet away for me also. I'm currently in weather around the 20s-30s. I believe this is a good product worth the money.

2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG TT 2011 F150 puller
Lennyzx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:14 AM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DriVer...and others...

What did you do about the stair light and outside electric steps light that turns on when you turn on the porch light?
Old 01-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Ted,

For some reason my step light does not stay on all the time with the porch light being on. The step light does not come on until I turn the step switch to "ON".

I leave the StarLight circuit "ON" 24/7 and it monitors the 12 volt circuit for me at a glance. if the color of the LED is "Red" it means that there are less than 12 volts available from the coach batteries. Nice!

I saw Ralph Kinzer, salesman, today and he has a little surprise for me for my StarLight as soon as the UPS truck catches up with him.

I'll post a photo as soon as I can.

When I open my coach door, the escaping heat triggers the light to come on.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 AM   #10

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally posted by DriVer:
When I open my coach door, the escaping heat triggers the light to come on.
Well heat produces an InfraRed image and that maybe what triggers the light.

I'll have to study the wiring circuit for the switch and step/stair light to see what goes on there.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed one I got at the Quartzsite RV show a couple of days ago.
It works great but I did have two installation issues:
The screws supplied were smaller than the ones Winnebago used. I used two of the Winnebago screws but the head was too small to go down into the head cavity on the right two so I had to get two longer ones.
I could have moved it over a little to one side and drilled 4 new holes but chose not to.

The butt connectors supplied were for 18 gauge wire and Winnebago used 14 gauge so I had to get a couple of new connectors.

My inside step light comes on with the porch light switch. I think I will add a switch so I can turn the step light on and off as desired.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by Clay L:
My inside step light comes on with the porch light switch. I think I will add a switch so I can turn the step light on and off as desired.
Clay & Ted, Must be a Sightseer thing. The Adventurer's step light isn't tied into the porch light.

I did not use the screws that came with the light. I re-used the existing holes and screws that I removed from the stock WGO fixture.

I am very pleased with the results and using the StarLight. My OEM fixture was never right from day one; occasionally the lens would pop out and the bulb was often observed to having cracked from getting wet.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #13

Unhappy

My Smart Light 1000 is now 9 months old and both side lenses (called fresnel lenses) for the motion detector have rotted away and opened up. My light is protected from the sun, as it is very close to my awning roller, so maybe it is the heat that affects them. I emailed the company and they were gracious enough to send me new lenses without any questions. I feel this may be a growing problem for them. The process for installing the new lenses is a real p.i.t.a. as the light has to be completely removed from the coach, which in my case meant cleaning off the old silicone from the coach and light, cutting the old butt connectors, rewire and resealing.

Another issue I have with mine is RF interferance from the motion detectors interfering with my digital tv antenna reception (causing pixelation) only when the light switch is on. I can live with it for now.

If the new fresnel lenses fail again, I will throw it in the trash and go back to a conventional light,
Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I got my Smart Light 1000 almost 3 years ago at an FMCA rally. It had some kinks at the beginning but Greg Wilson also helped me and we got it working perfectly. I usually leave it in the motion detector mode and it works great for me. I think it is a very good quality light and I recommend it highly.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote