Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Steps

My steps are stuck in the up position, ignition sw on no change. Checked the wiring to the 4 pin connector in the door jamb all wired correctly per the wiring diagram. Turned the step sw off and still locked up. Going to clean the contacts in the door jamb and then reverse the wires in the door jamb. After that I am out of ideas. Any help will be appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #2

Recently mine was also stuck no matter what like you and after dealer diagnostic check $$ that was wrong, then a few hours by me reading/testing the Quikee diagnostic sheet it was the door magnetic switch. For you it could be motor, controller, door switch or steps stuck from lack of lubrication.

Need to test if you have any tech skills using digital multimeter ($15) and diag sheet. Take to dealer many$$$$
Old 10-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post
Recently mine was also stuck no matter what like you and after dealer diagnostic check $$ that was wrong, then a few hours by me reading/testing the Quikee diagnostic sheet it was the door magnetic switch. For you it could be motor, controller, door switch or steps stuck from lack of lubrication.

Need to test if you have any tech skills using digital multimeter ($15) and diag sheet. Take to dealer many$$$$
Where is the magnetic switch, all I can find is the 4 push pins in the door jamb.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

On my Fleetwood Southwind it is located on the screen door down low and the other half on the door jam.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:05 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Steps X 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coarsegold View Post

The steps are locked in the extended (down) position now. I can't get them to retract - any suggestions. Is there anyway to access the wires in the door jamb (inside the door) maybe one of the wires to the 4 pin connector worked loose.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #6

I had intermittent movement in my steps and it was the magnetic switch in the door frame. My switch is in the fixed door jamb about 5 inches from the bottom. It has a brown plastic plug covering the hole.
billandkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:26 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Magnetic sw

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandkaren View Post
I had intermittent movement in my steps and it was the magnetic switch in the door frame. My switch is in the fixed door jamb about 5 inches from the bottom. It has a brown plastic plug covering the hole.
I can't find one and the diagram doesn't show one. I have the steps working now, but the remote and cabin door lock won't work. I am just chasing my tail - any suggestions? I hooked up the wiring to the 4 pins and I can get the door to lock but the steps stay down and won't retract, when I move the electrical wires I can get the steps to work but not the door locks very confusing
Old 10-24-2017, 08:09 PM   #8

Sure sounds like a short or loose wire issue rather than a bad part. No fun to find but you just have to keep looking for the problem.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:22 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
disconnect the motor from the control box. Use a jumper to the motor. reversing the polarity will change the direction If the motor and gear box are working you have a problem with the control box. You should be able to locate the wires from the magnet switch and if you short across them you will simulate the connection of the door closing. If that makes it work it is the magnet continuity problem if not it is the control box.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:03 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you hear the control box click the transmission might be stuck. I have had this problem before. Just loosen the bolts on transmission and see if it will start working. Also you can give it a boost with the square shaft coming out of transmission.

Tags
steps