Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
Jim

i recently replaced my tv which had audio output to a surround sound system..volume was controlled by the tv..the new tv has audio output but cannot be controlled the same way..i get sound which is a little too high for regular listening..is there an amp that can be adjusted or do i need to get a stereo receiver..thanks..jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
Jim

i recently replaced my tv which had audio output to a surround sound system..volume was controlled by the tv..the new tv has audio output but cannot be controlled the same way..i get sound which is a little too high for regular listening..is there an amp that can be adjusted or do i need to get a stereo receiver..thanks..jim
Old 08-16-2006, 04:39 PM   #3

I have the same issue. You need a line level volume control. Either buy it from here stereo remote volume control or build your own from radio shack parts (you will need potentiometer (volume control, either 1 stereo or 2 mono) and rca input sockets and a small kit box...and wiring it up...

I have the parts and will be putting the volume control in the cabinet next to the vcr/antenna switcher. Which tv did you get? I replaced the cheap RCA unit with a philips tv...it was very hard to find one that would fit within the steel cage. Most tube tv are wider now cuz they put stereo speakers on the side rather on the bottom...
Old 08-17-2006, 03:29 PM   #4
Jim

i found a 24" rca at Rex rv..it fits width and height wise but is a little too deep..i had to tilt it forward a little and cut the trim to fit..i plan to get some oak and build new trim similar to my bedroom setup..for the sound it appears you are just inserting a volume control between the tv and amp..is that correct? thanks..jim
Old 08-18-2006, 06:20 AM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim:
...it appears you are just inserting a volume control between the tv and amp..is that correct? thanks..jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, a low (or line) level volume control...I thought this would be an easy item to find on the web...but it didn't turn out so...

The 24in philips tv I bought from walmart fits...but:
1) the depth is just about maxed out...you have to move ALL the cables out of the way...
2) the height is lower, I had to add spacers to the upper metal support/tie strap (I added wood with nonslip padding. I painted the wood black)
3) need to trim the base of the tv to match the curve on my tv shroud...I also need to trim the plastic tv shroud too...Good thing you cannpot see all this trimming when everything is back together.

When this TV dies, I'll re-work the whole area and install a flat (lcd type) tv and put in a wood surround...or just get a new coach.