Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Still having camera/monitor problems

I recently replaced my Weldex B&W tube type monitor with a new LCD one. It came from RVCams in Louisiana and was a fairly straightforward install. I used the original cable installed by Fleetwood, with an adapter.

It worked for about 3 hours before it started doing the same thing the old monitor did, I.e. going blank. Blank in this case it either totally black or a blue screen. What usually knocks it out is a bump or a pothole. What usually brings it back is powering it off and back on, or sometimes another pothole.

So, I'm looking for advice. Should my next step be to replace the camera, or the cable. The camera is expensive but installation is simple. The cable is cheap but it's installation is a total PITA.

Speaking of installation of the cable: I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone with a Freightliner chassis who has replaced their own cable.

Thanks,
Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #2

Since powering off/on restores a picture, I would think the cable is good, unless you hit another bump between times. Have you removed the connections and inspected them for dirty contact or broken wires? Doesn't take much to disrupt a low-voltage signal.
Assuming the camera is solid-state, it might be as simple as a cold-solder joint, or break in a PC board circuit, both of which may be repaired. A good electronics repair shop should be able to give the camera a pass/fail inspection when they know the symptoms.
I replaced the monitor and camera with a wireless Voyager backup camera in our MH. The monitor stopped working, Sony discontinued making backup cameras, and the Voyager was the best, cheapest alternative. Another great thing, now I can leave the Voyager on constantly vs the Sony only working when in reverse; allowing us to watch the towed while driving, and positively know when it is safe to pull back into the lane after passing a slow vehicle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Solved, I THINK...

I talked to Chuck at RVCams.com and he told me that 90% of the time they see this symptom with a LCD monitor it's a bad ground.

I started from the monitor and worked myself back from there. The connector on the end of my (Fleetwood Installed) cable was bad. I could cause the monitor to fail just by tapping the connector. I tried bending the pins outward a bit and that improved things a little. Next I took some very thin copper wire and pushed it down into the female side of the connector.

This appears to have at least temporarily solved the problem. If I can find the right connector I'm going to cut the end off the cable and replace it. I've got about 8 feet of it tied in a loop above the monitor.

Onward to the next broken thing, the kitchen soap dispenser.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #4

Camera

I saw your post, I have a 2008 Bounder and my back up camera is flickering, I think I have a loose wire, how do I remove the TV to get to the Camera ... there is a big hole behind the TV, and I don't know how to get to the back up camera to check the wireing. can you help me

Ray Price email prince4815@att.net thanks
58sapkaris79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #5

I have a 2008 bounder and I need help... how do I take the tv out to get to the back up camera the back up camera flickers and I think I have a wire loose, there is a big hole behind the tv but I don't know how to remove the tv... to get to the back up camera can you help me Thanks Ray Price Prince4815@att.net
Old 08-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Ray you need to get a ladder and climb up to the camera on the outside.
Leary54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #7

The video signal on my Voyager cable is apparently a coax wire with the system ground shielding surrounding the wire.

Not a big deal but splicing coax and maintaining its shielding is not as straight forward as just a single wire. The RVcams folks would be able to tell you if yours is the same. They've been very helpful for me.

It's just something to be prepared for ahead of time if yours is coax.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Depends

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58sapkaris79 View Post
I have a 2008 bounder and I need help... how do I take the tv out to get to the back up camera the back up camera flickers and I think I have a wire loose, there is a big hole behind the tv but I don't know how to remove the tv... to get to the back up camera can you help me Thanks Ray Price Prince4815@att.net
My monitor is hung from the bottom of the AV cabinet above the drivers seat. I didn't have to remove anything other than 4 thumbscrews to drop the monitor out of it's bracket.

But I have taken a number of TVs. If I remember right my front TV was held in my a wooden block and not really attached to anything. The first thing was to take the trim off. And that's the tricky part. The screws are sometimes hidden in strange and wonderous ways. If there are any wooden buttons on the trim the screws are probably under them. Check the insides of the cabinets on either side of the TV for screws.

Once you get the trim off the rest of the job is easy.

Pictures might help.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #9

thanks everyone, and I will do everything you all suggested... I thought about getting a ladder and checking the wire on that camera, before I try to look at the monitor inside the MH.... if you think of anything else, please let me know, I'm new at this... and 70 yrs old... lol probably too old to be doing this... tk again Ray Price (prince4815@att.net)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #10

Well, I still can't find any hidden screws to get the tv out... our monitor ... is hung like yours is muddypaws... right below the tv ... in fact right after I bought the bounder I had 3 back surgeries, and the first time we took it out for a ride all that fell down on the dash board, and I had to find bigger screws and screw the monitor back up however it was out of warranty because I had to recover from back surgery and the warranty ran out... so now since the monitor fell down on the dash board, I'm thinking there is a wire that came loose. and it flickers on and off now... so that is why I was going to take the tv out to get to the wires and try to fix it. thanks for your answer... but I sure can't find the hidden screws... Ray price... prince4815@att.net.... it is a 2009 Fleetwood bounder not a 2008... thanks for your suggestions... I need all the help I can get.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
I recently replaced my Weldex B&W tube type monitor with a new LCD one. It came from RVCams in Louisiana and was a fairly straightforward install. I used the original cable installed by Fleetwood, with an adapter.

It worked for about 3 hours before it started doing the same thing the old monitor did, I.e. going blank. Blank in this case it either totally black or a blue screen. What usually knocks it out is a bump or a pothole. What usually brings it back is powering it off and back on, or sometimes another pothole.

So, I'm looking for advice. Should my next step be to replace the camera, or the cable. The camera is expensive but installation is simple. The cable is cheap but it's installation is a total PITA.

Speaking of installation of the cable: I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone with a Freightliner chassis who has replaced their own cable.

Thanks,
Muddypaws
Did you go with a color version or stay with the B&W, thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Camera

I stuck with the B&W camera but my intention is to give myself a color camera for Christmas or whatever.

Ray, if you can attach a picture of how your monitor is mounted perhaps someone will be able to help you.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #13

Hey Muddy paws, this is Ray Price, and I have the monitor taken down, and it won't stay on long enough for me to even change any settings... I have checked all the connections voltage meter, and have to the monitor... it is in the monitor somewhere. it flickers on and off... when it comes on it is sleep mode... I used the remote tried to get it out of sleep mode, but it won't stay on long enough to do anything... any suggestions... I probably will have to buy a new monitor it is a mobile vision, I called them, for what it would take to repair it, I can buy a new one... any suggestions? Ray Price
Old 08-24-2013, 01:02 PM   #14

Muddypaws, the camera is mounted above overhead, under the tv by the blowing fans in the center... I tried to post a picture, but it said the picture is too big.. so I don't know why... but I got the monitor out and looking at it and piddled with it. lol

Tags
camera