Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2015, 02:43 PM   #1

Straightening a crooked residential refrigerator installation

So before I start pulling things apart maybe someone out there has remedied this issue.
Our residential fridge is installed with it slightly tilted at the top to the left. It works but to sit here and look at it day after day seeing how Thor installed it crooked drives me nuts. One fear is it is adding pressure to the left of the cabinet it is installed in and eventually something is going to give. Is the alignment adjustable? There are 2 brackets on top that can be adjusted but I would think there has to be something on the bottom that holds it in place also. Releasing the top brackets does not allow any movement of the fridge. I've tried.
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
What is under the fridge cabinet?
Here is a install by one of our members of a Maytag fridge and you can see the bracing he placed under the fridge cabinet.
Maybe if there is room you can get a jack under the support floor if there is one and jack up side that low and reinforce support floor.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck, a picture would be very helpful, but here are a couple of thoughts.

Does the floor under the left side appear to have a dip in it? Does the bottom of the fridge appear to be parallel to the floor?

Most appliances-- even some large reefers-- have adjustable feet, for the specific purpose of leveling the machine and keeping it on firm footing. They twist in and out just like a bolt would, allowing the appliance to be adjusted to any unevenness in the floor. It sounds to me like the assembly crew at Thor just slid yours into position but never bothered to adjust.

The brackets you see at the top are there simply to prevent the fridge from vibrating out of position while underway. They're not intended to be weight-bearing levelers, and you are right on the money-- if left that way they will eventually distort and damage the cabinetry. Frankly, someone at Thor needs to be bitch-slapped.

Post a pic if you can, but I'm guessing your fix is pretty simple.

Good luck!!

John & Diane, Fulltime since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Chuck, a picture would be very helpful, but here are a couple of thoughts.

Does the floor under the left side appear to have a dip in it? Does the bottom of the fridge appear to be parallel to the floor?

Most appliances-- even some large reefers-- have adjustable feet, for the specific purpose of leveling the machine and keeping it on firm footing. They twist in and out just like a bolt would, allowing the appliance to be adjusted to any unevenness in the floor. It sounds to me like the assembly crew at Thor just slid yours into position but never bothered to adjust.
Check the front of the frig, usually behind the grille, for the leveling adjustment screws. The grille should just snap on and off, but there could be a fastener or two holding it on.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

Thanks for all the guidance. As I thought there is a metal frame that holds the bottom of the fridge in place. Looks like the screws can be loosened and the the feet can be adjusted until the fridge straightens. Looks like the top brackets will also have to be loosened and reattached once the fridge stands straight. My only concern would be if the rear of the fridge is also bolted down. Not sure it would be since there is no access to the rear if the fridge had to be replaced. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436886700.100563.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	100121Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1436886765.154822.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	100122
Martinichuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, refrigerator