Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 08:59 PM   #1

Stuck black waste valve

My black waste valve slowly started getting hard to open and close. After a long search I finally found the valve by cutting the belly pan open. It is a cable operated valve. My question is...... Is it better to unbolt the 4 bolts and replace just the seals or a new valve block?
I called Valterra today and they ask what kind of treatment chemical I was using, I guess some have adverse effects on the seals. In your opinion what is the best treatment to use in black tank

Thank You
Jerry & Denise Kelly
Okee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I use nothing but water in the black tank.

If it was me, I would replace the complete valve assembly. It isn't worth just replacing the seals to have problems further down the line
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #3

Why don't you try some spray lube on the cable and the shaft that goes into the valve. It worked for me!!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #4

Replace the whole valve AND lube the cable. Should return the setup to like new. I had same thing w/a Trek. Dump the tanks & go for it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

I've always used Thexford Blue liquid. Once, a long time ago, I had to replace the valve. Not really that difficult. I would replace the valve and hope to never have to play with it again.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:47 PM   #6

Seal Kit about $6.50 - $9.95, new complete valve, $12.50 to $18.00, no need to ask...change the valve.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Every once in a while after dumping your tanks add some coconut oil to lube and treat the gaskets from most all adverse effects of hard water and chemicals used. This and lubricating the cable may save you from having to cut open the belly and doing repairs to the valve. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okee View Post
My black waste valve slowly started getting hard to open and close. After a long search I finally found the valve by cutting the belly pan open. It is a cable operated valve. My question is...... Is it better to unbolt the 4 bolts and replace just the seals or a new valve block?
I called Valterra today and they ask what kind of treatment chemical I was using, I guess some have adverse effects on the seals. In your opinion what is the best treatment to use in black tank

Thank You
Jerry & Denise Kelly
Thanks for the replies, could'nt find valve locally so I ordered T1003-Pbc direct from Valterra. Looks very simple to install
Okee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #9

You can also use the Valterra twist on waste valve

Twist-on Valve - Valterra T58 - Sewer Fittings & Adapters - Camping World
Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budwizer View Post
Why don't you try some spray lube on the cable and the shaft that goes into the valve. It worked for me!!
My guess is, that solves about 90% of hard-to-open waste valves. Don't use WD40, it dries to a gummy film. I use a penetrating oil, it slowly wicks along the cable and lubes the entire housing
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
KIX

Aero Kroil available at auto parts stores is a good product for lubing cables.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote