Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2023, 04:51 PM   #1

Suburban IW60 tankless

Hello! Glad to be here. I just replaced my IW60 with another of the same tankless water heater. I had trouble with the old one keeping the temp and turning off and on randomly. I called Suburban for troubleshooting help and was told to take it to a dealer. My solution was to just install a new one, less headache than a dealer. I'd like to fix the old one for a spare but since I can't get info. to fix it myself I guess I'll have to find some dealer I can trust. Good luck with that. I asked Suburban if they could tell me if there's a dealer that they regularly send repair parts to. I just might have to check that dealer out. Any thought here would be nice.
DaveBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2023, 08:09 PM   #2

Service and Parts Manual
Troubleshooting....starts on pg 16
Parts List.............starts on pg 22

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/v/vsp...W60-Manual.pdf
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:16 PM   #3

Thank you sir, for posting that. I have it printed out but from what I can tell my symptoms aren't listed. So if someone can recommend a trustworthy repair person please let me know.
Old 03-26-2023, 09:37 PM   #4

I had trouble with the old one keeping the temp and turning off and on randomly.

Module Board
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:41 AM   #5

Or not using the hot water at a fast enough rate? Maybe right on the margin of using at a sufficient flow level?
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I had trouble with the old one keeping the temp and turning off and on randomly.

Module Board
That's what I'm thinking too. Thanks. Guess I'd have to eliminate everything else.
Old 03-27-2023, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by K7JV View Post
Or not using the hot water at a fast enough rate? Maybe right on the margin of using at a sufficient flow level?
Thank you. I have a pressure regulator in the water supply and I tried a few different pressures from 30 to 50psi and too I tried different flow rates at the faucets. It did work with a low flow rate when sometimes it wouldn't at a higher rate of flow but then sometimes the burner would shut down. Ha, the worst thing was when I thought I had it working great and it would, with no other changes, just give me ice cold water to rinse off the soap. Then get out with the water still running to find the burner still on but not high enough to heat the water. The new one I just installed seems to like the pressure regulator set at around 35psi.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBB View Post
That's what I'm thinking too. Thanks. Guess I'd have to eliminate everything else.
An update for the curious. I removed the flow sensor and it spins just fine, I don't have the proper stuff to test the 3 wire sensor and see it's hall effect pulse. Then I checked the varying resistance of both inlet and outlet water temp sensors and got about 11Kohms at room temp to around 3Kohms at as hot as a hair dryer would get them so I think they're doing their jobs. Fan is working as it should. Since the burner works sometimes it can't be the temp limit switches. I'm not sure how to test the 2 stage gas solenoid but I know it worked sometimes because all 5 burners sometimes were on. So...... Since I found a module board on ebay for $50, I thought I'd take a chance on that being the problem. I hope to update this if it works or not.
Old 05-09-2023, 12:18 PM   #9

DaveBB - did new module correct your issue?

I have new unit and it works great then randomly won't fire up. I turn off all 12 volt power for about 10 seconds then works perfectly. I must turn off 12 volt power - if I try with the digital controller it won't work .
thanks for any insight.......... David
Dchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 07:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchurch View Post
DaveBB - did new module correct your issue?

I have new unit and it works great then randomly won't fire up. I turn off all 12 volt power for about 10 seconds then works perfectly. I must turn off 12 volt power - if I try with the digital controller it won't work .
thanks for any insight.......... David
Thanks for the question. I forgot to update this. I installed the new unit and tested it for a weeks worth of showers and it seems to be working great. Later I put the new ebay mother board in the old unit and took it out on the deck and hooked up propane, 12V battery and water hoses to it and it seems to work ok. A better test would be to reinstall it in the camper and do a weeks worth of showers with it. That'll have to wait until, if ever, the new one fails.

Sorry your new unit is glitching. I haven't heard of that problem. Warranty? When you say "fire up" it's unclear. Is it just the burner that won't light? Does the fan make a sound like it's moving air? Any icons on the controller? I probably can't answer but someone on this great forum just might read this and respond.
Old 05-11-2023, 07:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBB View Post
Thanks for the question. I forgot to update this. I installed the new unit and tested it for a weeks worth of showers and it seems to be working great. Later I put the new ebay mother board in the old unit and took it out on the deck and hooked up propane, 12V battery and water hoses to it and it seems to work ok. A better test would be to reinstall it in the camper and do a weeks worth of showers with it. That'll have to wait until, if ever, the new one fails.

Sorry your new unit is glitching. I haven't heard of that problem. Warranty? When you say "fire up" it's unclear. Is it just the burner that won't light? Does the fan make a sound like it's moving air? Any icons on the controller? I probably can't answer but someone on this great forum just might read this and respond.
Thanks for your update -- "fire up" meaning the I can hear the ignitor firing but no ignition - I can disconnect 12 volt power then works fine until randomly repeat of the previous issue.

I've noticed the digital controller display only has temperature on display - does not show status. I'm thinking the motherboard / controller is bad.

Yes - under warranty - just a pain deal with. I will proceed with warranty

Thanks
Dchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 08:47 AM   #12

(Quote) I've noticed the digital controller display only has temperature on display - does not show status. I'm thinking the motherboard / controller is bad.

I think that the controller/ motherboard would need to be checked too. After you cycle the 12v power and it makes hot water, there should be icons on the controller to indicate fan and flame down at the bottom of it's screen. There's more but I can't remember all of them. Good luck finding a good service center for the warranty.
Something you might try is to connect the unit up as if you don't have a controller. If you wire it that way the unit uses dip switches to regulate temperature. That would tell you, if it works every time without cycling the power, if the controller is the culprit.

Tags
suburban, tank