Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Suburban SW12DEL Gas Not Lighting

Hi friends. When I turn on the water heater gas switch it lights like normal but the igniter continues to fire (I hear the click). After about ten seconds the gas turns off and it does it again for three attempts. Stove is working normally so I tend to assume the gas pressure overall is fine. There is plenty of propane in the tanks. SInce it lights but the igniter contiues to fire, I'm wondering if there is some kind of device that tells the sytem that is has ignited and since it's not, the whole thing shuts off. I'm a pretty good trouble shooter but electricity and gas are my weakest places of knowledge. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #2

Yes there is a 'device'.....it is the Spark Electrode
Not only does it provide the High Voltage spark for ignition of propane it is also used to provide pathway for 'Flame Proving' Signal to circuit board

Flame generates an AC current which is retrified into a DC current which circuit board is looking for......change in current is via spark electrode and ground

High voltage wire has to have clean tight connections
Electrode needs to be clean of soot/carbon
Electrode ceramic if cracked it will allow the signal to go to ground

Sometimes all items check good and a new electrode is required

*New electrode is $12 (Part #232258)------https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...rode-232258%20

Sometimes it is a fault in the circuit board
*New board is $76 (Part #520814)------https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...oard-520814%20

Flame Proving signal is just a few milliamps so easy for it to be stopped by bad/dirty/loose connections

Satrt with cleaning up electrode, connections and grounds
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 06:40 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks

Old-Biscuit this is exactly why I love thi forum. For those of us that aren't afraid to fix things and just need a little guidance, this is the perfect venue. Thanks for the troubleshooting steps. I'm assuming that replacing the board (if it's not the electrode) will require removing the unit. Or is there cover to remove without replacing? I'm not at my unit to put eyes on it at the moment. Again, thanks for the great help.

Martin
<><
Old 03-20-2020, 06:53 PM   #4

Circuit Board is typically mounted on backside (top) of WH Tank but can be wall mounted close to WH Tank also

'DEL' models Installation/User Manual
http://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.co...ser-Manual.pdf

Exploded View...

Parts ---- https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...el-tune-up-kit
Old 03-21-2020, 11:32 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ok. Replaced the electrode but still have same problem. New development though which is that electric side of heater not working either. With power on there is power at the connections for the switch outside on the heater. I’m very suspicious now that it’s the control board. However, I’ve had the bad luck before of having two separate issues at once to confuse everything. Will a bad element cause no power and therefore no light in the on switch inside? I’m assuming not but the element is an easy replacement. Planning on ordering the board to fix the gas issue and likely the electric one as well if you agree that a bad element is not the issue. Frustrating. Thanks again for the help.
Old 03-21-2020, 04:14 PM   #6

'DEL' Models use DC & AC for the electric element

12VDC goes from the Electric On/Off switch (inside RV) to DC Junction Box then to the DC Relay that then allows the 120VAC to go to the Electric On/Off Switch (outside compartment) then thur the set of t-stats and to element

So DC switch has to be ON
DC to Relay connection good (in junction box)

AC Switch has to be ON (CB NOT tripped)

High temp t-stat must not be tripped (Push to Reset---cover above gas valve---Left set for AC/Right set for GAS)
Element not burnt out/shorted

*Continuity tests with Tank drained and wires disconnected.

Testing between white & black terminals...No continuity---element bad

Testing between white terminal & element flange...HAS continuity---element short

Tags
gas, light, suburban