Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #1

suburban sw6p

My sw6p suburban WH won't light. Here is what has happened so far. I order a new pilot light and thermocouple assy. When I tried to light it by holding down the black knob in pilot position I got a small pop explosion at the pilot light burner. When that happened I notice that the burner assy orifice was lit with a small flame, I turned the black knob to the off position and started over. I did this several times with the same results, a pop explosion at the pilot light burner and the burner assy lighting instead. My next step was to order and new gas control valve assy. After installing this, I got the same results. Can anyone help me as I cannot afford a service tech. thank you very much ahead of time.
friendly rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #2

There is a man who goes by old-biscuit on irv2.com forums, he is an expert on RV appliances. Do a Google search(box at page top) for his handle and ask him.
He has assisted hundreds of other Rv owners with their appliances.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendly rv View Post
My sw6p suburban WH won't light. Here is what has happened so far. I order a new pilot light and thermocouple assy. When I tried to light it by holding down the black knob in pilot position I got a small pop explosion at the pilot light burner. When that happened I notice that the burner assy orifice was lit with a small flame, I turned the black knob to the off position and started over. I did this several times with the same results, a pop explosion at the pilot light burner and the burner assy lighting instead. My next step was to order and new gas control valve assy. After installing this, I got the same results. Can anyone help me as I cannot afford a service tech. thank you very much ahead of time.
Based on your first statement I would have suggested a new control valve........
Based on second statement.........very strange!

Flame at burner Orifice suggest blow back.
Burner tube/combustion chamber

When you push/hold knob in pilot position, light pilot flame the flame heats thermocouple which then hold gas valve open and knob can be turned to ON for Main flame

Pop/explosion at Pilot means air/fuel mixture is RICH
Pilot gas is controlled by the control valve so NEW pilot assembly should be free flowing
New Control Valve would negate a Blown ECO ----temp probe that sticks into the tank. Bad ECO affect pilot and main gas flows

Best I can suggest....
Remove Pilot Assembly and check for obstruction/dirty orifice
*Blow thru it backwards etc but do NOT Poke anything thru orifice
Clean up the burner tube and combustion/exhaust chamber
Check LP System Pressure (any problems with other appliances???)

With all those new parts it should fire right up
Verify you have good propane flow TO the gas control
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:47 PM   #4

Smile

I agree with everything you said as I understand the propane system which why I was confused. I did check other propane appliances. Lit all burners on stove nice flames on each burner which show good propane regulator at tank. I hate to think I got a bad gas control valve. One thing I notice on the old and new propane thermocouple pilot light assy. the old tube assy for the pilot light had a very tiny orifice and the tube assy on the new pilot light assy had a much larger orifice. could this be the problem? I'm going to try putting the old tube in place of the new one and see if this stop the backfire. I will let you know the results of this. thank you very much.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:53 PM   #5

Suburban Pilot Assembly is same one used for years on ALL Suburban Pilot Models

Suburban 161156

https://pantherrvproducts.com/161156/
Old 08-10-2022, 10:56 PM   #6

I forgot to ask. What does ECO stand for? I got what you said about it be the probe going into the tank and since the gas control valve was new it couldn't be that. How does that ECO control the flow of gas to the pilot light assy? I was trying this with a empty tank. do I need to fill up the hot water heater tank? thank you
Old 08-11-2022, 11:20 AM   #7

ECO....Enery Cut OFF (High Temp T-stat)
Probe that sticks out backside of gas control valve....goes inside the tank

If water temp reaches 190*F it trips shutting down ALL gas flow
*If Pilot Flame is TOO large it can cause it to trip

Turning to Pilot Position and holding knob down bypasses ECO
Thermocouple when heated sends a Millivolt signal back to Gas Control holding the Magnet Open which allows for gas flow
When T-stat temp is reached gas valve closes......until temp drops below set point then reopens...gas flows/pilot flame ignites main flame
Temp goes to hi/eco trips, gas flows stops....gas control has to be replaced cause ECO is a one shot device
Old 08-11-2022, 08:24 PM   #8

to old bisquit

Well I did get to put on the pilot light assy with the correct orifice. When trying to light the pilot light it did the same thing, pop and the burner assy lit instead. I try adjusting the pilot light and turning it half turn at a time the burner flame got bigger and bigger, so when holding down the black knob in pilot light position the gas actually flow through the burner gas line instead of the pilot light gas line. did I get a bad gas control valve?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suburban WH with text and arrows.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	373390  
Old 08-11-2022, 08:41 PM   #9

Must be a faulty gas control valve
Main Gas should NOT flow until knob is turned to ON from the Pilot position

Tags