Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #1

Sudden electical problem

The 12volt system was working in my 2010 KZ Durango 1500 275RE when I left the site today. We arrived at home and noticed the awning wouldn't work, the refrigerator was off, and the panel box was showing nothing, no lights working. I plugged in to 110 and all systems were going. I unplugged the 110 and plugged in the truck 12v cord. The outside lights work and the front extension legs also work. The battery disconnect was off. The battery is showing 12-13 volts, not dead. No 12 volt systems work in the trailer when the 110 is unplugged. I checked the fuse box and don't see any blown fuses or circuit breakers. Has anyone ever run into this situation. Thanks in advance for your help! Joe P
jo77linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:13 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

If the battery tests good and everything works on 120 v shore power, the connection between the battery and inverter is the area to search. It could be a bad connection at the battery or ground, a tripped or blown fuse or circuit breaker, etc. Use a test light or multimeter and check for power at every place you can between those points. It wouldn't hurt to unclamp the cables at the battery, clean them and reconnect them. Do the same at the ground cable connection.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:21 PM   #3

Thanks, not really a great hands on rv'er, but I'll follow your steps and keep my fingers crossed. Is there one main fuse that would blow so all the others stop working? Also why are the front extending stabilizer legs still running? Hmmmm. Thanks, Joe P
Old 07-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, often the battery cable will have a large, perhaps 80 amp fuse in case the cable gets shorted out. I don't know how big your fuse/circuit breaker would be, but if you look on eBay you'll see what they might look like. Don't replace with a larger one if you do find it blown.

12 v 80 amp fuse | eBay

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:55 PM   #5

Gotcha! Going out to check and clean now! Thanks a bunch!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:04 AM   #6

Is there a battery disconnect switch for use when in storage. On my Winnebago it is in the stairwell so it is easy to accidentally knock into the off/storage position. Also there should be somewhere around a 50 to 80 amp popup circuit breaker or fuse between your charger/inverter and battery which may have tripped and needs attention.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:18 AM   #7

Finally found the problem. Took the panel off with the disconnect switch, located in the fifth wheel front storage, next to the battery. the ground wire was laying there bare and disconnected. It had not even been crimped into the O-connector. So for 5 years it has been lying there in an upright position making contact. I guess I've been lucky up until now. Thanks to all who have helped with their ideas.