Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2021, 01:56 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Surge Protection

On my previous coach, I installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. On my present coach I have a Surge Guard Automatic Transfer Switch. I also plan on utilizing a Hughes Autoformer Rv220-50SP with surge protection.

Is there still a need to use a Progressive Industries surge protector (either hardwired or portable)?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3902.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	315439  
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlf00 View Post
On my previous coach, I installed a Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. On my present coach I have a Surge Guard Automatic Transfer Switch. I also plan on utilizing a Hughes Autoformer Rv220-50SP with surge protection.

Is there still a need to use a Progressive Industries surge protector (either hardwired or portable)?

Thanks in advance.
Looking at the specs on the Autoformer it appears to be a standard autoformer with added surge protection. I may be missing something, but does it also protect you against all the other possible AC problems like the HW50C?
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #3

Like Joe stated, you do get most of the same protections, but not all. Low voltage problems are covered by the boost feature instead of shutting off power transfer, but I do not see a high/low frequency protection, nor a power shut off/reconnect delay when power is being “analyzed.” Should there be a shut off by the unit, I don’t see a way to know the cause of the shut off, such as a code display.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:36 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
You definitely need a hardwired Surge Protection Unit. You have a good unit that should take care of your needs. The 40350-RVC has an Optional Remote Power Monitor LCD Display P/N 40299 that's sold separately. If you done have it I would recommend adding it on and that should take care of your ATS & Pedestal Power Monitoring. If you needed to replace it, I would recommend the Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50. It has 5-Modes of protection: Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection, Over/Under voltage Protection, Accidental 240V Protection and A/C Frequency Protection. I have installed several of these over the years for myself, friends and family. The best protection comes from Miswired pedestals at the campgrounds and surge protection. It has Built-in Digital Display that scrolls continuously and show the Voltage(s), current, frequency, error code, and previous error code (if applicable). It also comes with a Lifetime Warranty. It will not energize your RV unless you have good power. I hope this helps out...
Old 01-23-2021, 05:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Is there still a need to use a Progressive Industries surge protector (either hardwired or portable)?.
No, the Southwire 40350RVC has all of the protections that the PI unit has. https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ansfer-switch/

I use the 40350RVC with a Hughes Autoformer and remote display.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:15 AM   #6

I love my progressive ind 50 amp inline protector. Have had it for 5 yrs snd i can't tell you how many dozens of times it's saved us. I've got the lcd display mounted on our wall so i can periodically check our usage per device, output from campground. I've been able to tell campgrounds on numerous occasions what there power source is doing, weather they care or not ??? Even if it's overkil on your system , i wouldnt hesitate and id spend the $$$
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
No, the Southwire 40350RVC has all of the protections that the PI unit has. https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...ansfer-switch/

I use the 40350RVC with a Hughes Autoformer and remote display.
Thanks hypoxia. I was not aware that the transfer switch had all of the same features that the progressive industries has. It looks like the only thing that might be missing is the bypass switch and the ability to swap out the surge protection board.

I think I may just get a portable surge protector at the pedestal as a sacrificial lamb so if I do have a surge, I do not damage anything in the transfer switch or the autoformer if I am using it.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:47 AM   #8

I read the link, it is basically the same as my pi. The only must for me would be, I'd have to purchase the optional display. We don't have a generator or boon dock but I like the way it describes that it switches over automatically. I wonder if the pi does that. How much is that one
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
I read the link, it is basically the same as my pi. The only must for me would be, I'd have to purchase the optional display. We don't have a generator or boon dock but I like the way it describes that it switches over automatically. I wonder if the pi does that. How much is that one
The PI is an Energy Management device where the described SurgeGuard is an automatic transfer switch with energy management built in. The PI does not transfer power, only monito incoming power. Two different animals.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:03 PM   #10

since we don't boon dock or use a generator, not necessary for us then. But curious if the price is about the same as the pi.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:54 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have no idea of what the transfer switch costs. It is standard equipment on the coach I bought.

I have a display panel inside the coach that controls lights, shades, inverter, etc. On one of the screens, it displays the incoming voltage and current on each of the two legs of the 50 amp service. So I do not need an external display.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:31 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am considering a Progressive Industries PSK-50 Portable Surge Protector Kit. According to the Progressive Industries site, the electrical rating is the same as the 50 amp hardwired EMS unit (EMS-HW50C) and the surge Suppression Joules are slightly less (2,030J vs 3,500J). And it offers most of the same detection (not protection) as the hard wired unit.

They are available at Camping World and on Amazon for less than $100. Since I have the same protection as the as the hardwired unit in my transfer switch, I just want to have something to protect the transfer switch and the Hughes Autoformer if I am using it. I would rather replace the plug in unit than tear apart the transfer switch or autoformer to replace the surge protection board inside. So the PSK-50 would be the sacrificial lamb if there was any surge.

Anybody have any thoughts on this approach?
Old 01-24-2021, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Looking at the specs on the Autoformer it appears to be a standard autoformer with added surge protection. I may be missing something, but does it also protect you against all the other possible AC problems like the HW50C?
No, it is a different piece of equipment.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
I am considering a Progressive Industries PSK-50 Portable Surge Protector Kit. According to the Progressive Industries site, the electrical rating is the same as the 50 amp hardwired EMS unit (EMS-HW50C) and the surge Suppression Joules are slightly less (2,030J vs 3,500J). And it offers most of the same detection (not protection) as the hard wired unit.

They are available at Camping World and on Amazon for less than $100. Since I have the same protection as the as the hardwired unit in my transfer switch, I just want to have something to protect the transfer switch and the Hughes Autoformer if I am using it. I would rather replace the plug in unit than tear apart the transfer switch or autoformer to replace the surge protection board inside. So the PSK-50 would be the sacrificial lamb if there was any surge.

Anybody have any thoughts on this approach?
yep. your approach is all wet.. You can not buy an EMS for much less than $250.00.

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

https://thecampingnerd.com/rv-surge-...30-amp-50-amp/