Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #1

Coastal Campers
Surge Protector?

I'm looking for recommendations on reliable surge protectors. I have an Allegro Open Road 34TGA with dual roof a/c I usually run when hooked up to shore power. Also have the typical Dometic refrigerator and Sharp microwave/convection oven.

Last trip while on shore power at a RV park, the place lost power while we were in for the night. I only knew about it the next morning because the oven clock had reset. Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
There are basically two types, the hard wired version that is installed in the electric bay permanently and the portable type that plugs into the pedestal and has a receptacle to plug the shore card into. A lot of people prefer the portable type and I see a lot of them in use. My preference is the hard wired version so I don't have to do anything extra and it's secure from theft in the bay. Both versions will test the shore power to make sure it's not miswired or underpowered. They will protect against over voltage, under voltage and electrical spikes as a surge protector. The Progressive Industries brand is excellent and Hughes autoformer has jumped into the market with their Power Watchdog brand. Either one is better than nothing as a spike can ruin a lot of electronics in a coach.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
CWO --

I echo Lt Dan's comments. I recently purchased a new "portable" 50 amp Surge Guard model 34951 for my coach --> https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...a-model-34951/

I purchased this "bigger / better" surge protector given my new-to-me coach has many more electrical gadgets than did my previous 2007 Damon Astoria. My new surge protector has a two minute time delay following an electrical surge / power outage to protect A/Cs, residential fridge, large TVs, etc. from re-starting tool quickly following a power "event".

For the Damon Astoria I had Surge Guard's basic 50 amp surge protector model 44270 --> https://rvpower.southwire.com/produc...r-model-44270/

Fortunately I've never been in an RV resort / park where there has been a power outage nor electrical surge thus I can't say if the surge protectors function well or not. Having a surge protector is a relatively inexpensive, one time cost, insurance policy.
fagnaml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

we went with the Progressive 50-amp hard wired unit. convenient and it won't walk away.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 05:08 PM   #5

https://rvmentor.com/2019/11/24/ems-...o0_1M3_i4tQ-P0

https://www.technorv.com/articles/do...rge-protector/
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend the EMS series from Progressive Industries. It protects you against any kind of AC problem, not just surges. You can get a hardwired or portable model, and they have a lifetime warranty. A little pricey, but well worth the money and can save you thousands of dollars in repairs to your RV!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:22 AM   #7

As others have said, the Progressive EMS is an excellent choice for surge, low and high voltage as well as improperly wired pedestals.

We had a portable SurgeGuard that served us well for nearly 7 years, making it through two 5th Wheels and our current Motorhome before it started to drop power on one leg. Since we live in Oregon, and camp in the rainy season, it saw its fair share of wet weather. Given that, I elected to go with the hardwired version this time and I’m happy I did as it is one less thing to pull out when hooking up.

I installed ours right before the automatic transfer switch using a 4 foot section of 50amp cable I purchased off of Amazon and then wired in our existing 50amp cord.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61559150273__B397D339-B49D-4B7A-A040-D20F656489FD.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	634.3 KB
ID:	303203
Newmar2856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #8

Coastal Campers
I debated between the portable and fixed. I've settled on the Surge Guard 50 amp portable rv surge protector Model # 34951.

- Continuously monitors and displays voltage and amp draw (RMS), low and high frequency protection, includes anti-theft lock ring, multi-mode surge suppression, commercial-grade brass receptacle, automatic reset on power restoration, 10-second countdown startup sequence, 128-second reset delay protects A/C compressor, LCD display (English), convenient easy-T-pull handles, compatible with 40301 wireless LCD display.

- 50 Amp, 120-Volt/240-Volt - 4200 Joules.

Lifetime warranty and Connected equipment coverage.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
You made an excellent choice. We've been RV-ing for 20 years & would not be without a power protector by Progressive Industries.

Note the proper name is "power protector". That's what you want & what you bought. A surge protector does not protect you against many of the electrical issues that plague many campgrounds like low voltage, open ground, miswired pedestal & much more.

Having a power protector will.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
You made an excellent choice. We've been RV-ing for 20 years & would not be without a power protector by Progressive Industries.

Note the proper name is "power protector". That's what you want & what you bought. A surge protector does not protect you against many of the electrical issues that plague many campgrounds like low voltage, open ground, miswired pedestal & much more.

Having a power protector will.

Lori-
Not so fast. Seams the surge/power protector world will be forever screwed up.

This Southwire Surge Guard "Power Protector" is only $110.00. Clearly not an EMS per the description and the price.

https://www.campingworld.com/southwi...e&gclsrc=3p.ds
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:57 AM   #11

Coastal Campers
If I may add to my post above. I'm not advertising the product or even endorsing it for anyone else. Caveat emptor.

As a consumer, not only was I impressed with the specs and the lifetime warranty, plus connected equipment coverage. But this products extend its protection well into my coach. Load Side Protection is what they call this impressive coverage.

I'm an analog man in surviving in the digital world, so I'll let this video explain:

https://youtu.be/2ex3uVoHRgE