Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 03:29 AM   #1

Tank heaters

I always keep my grey tank dump valve open when I am connected. However, I’m sure I should be leaving a few gallons in it when my tank heaters are on during the winter so as not to burn up the heating pad on the grey tank.

I’m curious what other winter campers do?
Johnynorthla is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 03:41 AM   #2

we always leave both dump valves closed until ready to dump regardless of the season.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:35 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnynorthla View Post
I always keep my grey tank dump valve open when I am connected. However, I’m sure I should be leaving a few gallons in it when my tank heaters are on during the winter so as not to burn up the heating pad on the grey tank.

I’m curious what other winter campers do?
You would not only burn up the heater pads but you could very well damage the tank as well. There is a chance you could melt a hole in your tank without water in it. I leave the dump close until time to dump.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
You would not only burn up the heater pads but you could very well damage the tank as well. There is a chance you could melt a hole in your tank without water in it. I leave the dump close until time to dump.
THIS^^^

Bigger chance of damage to tank then to heat pad

Besides....grey waste can be as nasty/worst then black
Food debris rotting, oil/greases going rancid, sloughed body skin cells deteriorating, urine etc

With dump valve always open 'stuff' gets left behind and accumulates.
Tank outlet in side wall leaves a LIP that is below bottom of opening....without a WHOOSH of volume/fast flowing water that stuff can be left behind

Just saying..........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 01:46 PM   #6

I agree with above posts on gray tank dumping in any season. If you are in southern Fl. you will probably not have freezing issues even if you leave the gray tank valve open. You probably do not need the tank heaters.

You may have tank or pad deterioration due to high spot temperatures with an empty tank. See instructions for your pads. You are likely to have gray water freezing issues if you do not close the valve until significant dump can be achieved.

Water flowing through the gray tank will probably not freeze. Water trickling through the stinky slinky may freeze and block the drain. How low the temp is and how long it stays low matters. There may be no place in FL that would stay cold enough for long enough to cause grief. You probably do not need tank heaters.

In Wisconsin where I live, I fill the fresh tank, disconnect "city water" line, remove the stinky slinky, and turn on the tank heaters when liquid has accumulated. I also drive to a dump site far away because most dump sites are closed in winter and most campsites do not have sewer hookups.

Freeze ups damage campground plumbing unless winterized just like my TT.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, tank