Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2013, 06:26 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, thanks. We are also experiencing sensor problems, and its good to know there is a company that does this. We will be out in Az in a couple of weeks and will check them out.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #16

Thanks for the info. Mine work fine now, but nice to know it's out there if I ever need it.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's a good service for getting rid of any 'buildup'. Hard to scour clean by yourself
once a problem has started. Thanks for the tip
Old 10-16-2013, 12:22 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is another company that provides the same service but doesn't sell a product. HERE
They have dealers in many states including AZ.

Regarding Happy Camper - a friend recommended it and I tried it for several months. It did nothing.

I have a non-contact sensor system with the sensors on the outside of the tank and crud still builds up on the tank walls and fools the sensors.

I suspect that the build up is much worse for full timers than for weekend warriors and stuff that may work for weekend warriors may not for full timers or they may have tank flushers (I don't) and they help keep the tank walls cleaner.

We became snow birds this summer and my black water gauge that has indicated full for years now says 1/3 full and the gray tank that hasn't read below 2/3 full in years now reads empty.
I suspect that when we head south in a week or so the dried out crud on the tank walls will get wet again and start showing full.

I have used a pressure washer twice on the black water tank and it read correctly for a while and then regressed.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:07 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't believe that the built in "in-tank" flushers are thorough enough to do a good job. I made a tank flusher using a 3' section of 3/4" PVC with a hose fitting on one end and a cap on the other with a slot cut into the side of the cap, facing to the side and downward. Stick it down through the toilet bowl and rotate around, spraying off the sides and floor of the tank. Never had a problem with build-up or sludge; after draining and using the flusher, I can see the clean black plastic bottom through the toilet and have no reason to think the sides are any different. Tank sensors "usually" work after dumping/cleaning, but do occasionally act up.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That may work well if you have a straight shot into your tank, but not if, like mine there are a couple 45s.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:44 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for taking the time to report on your experience, Vegasdan.
RedWing Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:04 PM   #22

My wife and I just started full timing (6/28/14) and I noticed my sensors of both the black and gray tanks not reading E after being dumped. I did some research and purchased Horst Miracle Probes Horst Miracle Probes for Wastewater Tanks in Recreational Vehicles RVs. It made sense to me what they were saying on their video, but then again they are trying to sell their product. I took my MH over to East Valley RV to get an oil change and asked them to install the new probes. So far they are working the way it is suppose to. Before leaving though the service manager handed me a pamphlet on TankTechRX. He said this stuff works great and is all natural. After reviewing the pamphlet and going to teir web site I ordered a bottle. Will let you know if the smell really goes away as they claim.
TandI Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:47 PM   #23
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
I don't believe that the built in "in-tank" flushers are thorough enough to do a good job. I made a tank flusher using a 3' section of 3/4" PVC with a hose fitting on one end and a cap on the other with a slot cut into the side of the cap, facing to the side and downward. Stick it down through the toilet bowl and rotate around, spraying off the sides and floor of the tank. Never had a problem with build-up or sludge; after draining and using the flusher, I can see the clean black plastic bottom through the toilet and have no reason to think the sides are any different. Tank sensors "usually" work after dumping/cleaning, but do occasionally act up.
this is by far the most effective cleaning for black tank. you reminded me of another way - i have a power washer for driveways. it has a power compressor projecting strong streams. if i mod the gun tip to make it spray side-way in addition to straight forward, it would knock out the buildups in a brink. of course i would adjust the strength so not to damage the tank and sensors... phew...

hmmm, how to do it in grey tank? (scratching my head)...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 AM   #24
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
There is another company that provides the same service but doesn't sell a product. HERE
They have dealers in many states including AZ.

Quote:
Regarding Happy Camper - a friend recommended it and I tried it for several months. It did nothing.
I have a non-contact sensor system with the sensors on the outside of the tank and crud still builds up on the tank walls and fools the sensors.

I suspect that the build up is much worse for full timers than for weekend warriors and stuff that may work for weekend warriors may not for full timers or they may have tank flushers (I don't) and they help keep the tank walls cleaner.

We became snow birds this summer and my black water gauge that has indicated full for years now says 1/3 full and the gray tank that hasn't read below 2/3 full in years now reads empty.
I suspect that when we head south in a week or so the dried out crud on the tank walls will get wet again and start showing full.

I have used a pressure washer twice on the black water tank and it read correctly for a while and then regressed.

Clay, I am just curious. Did you start out by using the Happy Camper Extreme treatment, or just the regular? I have never heard of anyone that used the Happy Camper that was unhappy with it.

Joe
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:16 AM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Clay, I am just curious. Did you start out by using the Happy Camper Extreme treatment, or just the regular? I have never heard of anyone that used the Happy Camper that was unhappy with it.

Joe
I don't know which one it was. I used it for about three months and the black tank still showed full when empty.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #26

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
this is by far the most effective cleaning for black tank. you reminded me of another way - i have a power washer for driveways. it has a power compressor projecting strong streams. if i mod the gun tip to make it spray side-way in addition to straight forward, it would knock out the buildups in a brink. of course i would adjust the strength so not to damage the tank and sensors... phew...

hmmm, how to do it in grey tank? (scratching my head)...
Several years ago while we were at my sister in laws place for a couple of months where I had access to her pressure washer, I screwed a cap on an L and drilled a small (1/16 ?) hole in the cap, screwed a quick release on the other end and fitted the L to the end of the pressure washer wand.

I cleaned the black tank walls concentrating on the wall where the external sensors are mounted. My TruLevel system was accurate for about a month and then started messing up. I tried it again the next summer with the same result.
If you get close to Grand Junction/Palisade CO stop by and I will give you the L adapter.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:19 AM   #27
Community Moderator

thank you clay for your kind offer actually i just passed grand junction last week and might not be back soon . on my way there, i found diesel being cheap at safeway so filled it up nice place.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Well that is ALMOST my design (I drilled a hole instad of cutting a slot) and as it turns out my design is basically the same as Valterra's Master Blaster (mine is better though, no nose to break off)

And To the O/P: dynomite ... I do believe that would clean the tank, however..... Well... Can not recommend that method .

The sensors.. You can clean them and clean them but it only lasts one filling so why bother.

Horst Miracle probes are supposed to work better, have yet to test

See-Level sensors (Completely different concept) do work better or so I'm told.

Tags
tank