Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2021, 12:28 PM   #1

Tecma macerator problem

I have searched the forum and have not come across my exact issue. We are out camping and today our tecma started acting up. After using it was flushed 3 times within a couple of minutes (remembering water is your friend). On the next flush attempt water entered the tank, about the time the valve should open I heard a click, but nothing happened. Black tank is no more that 1/3 full. Control panel is green with no warning indicators. I tried the forced flush by holding down both flush buttons, heard a click and again nothing happened. I checked the fuses in my coach and they were fine.

I continued to try and figure out the problem and after about 20 minutes I noticed the GFI in the bathroom had tripped. Reset it and the toilet worked as design. I was excited it was fixed, but wondered why it tripped?

Next person used the toilet, flushed a couple of times and now we have the same problem however the GFI did not trip. When I try and flush water is added and I here a single click about the time the water should be draining out. I turned off the GFI, waited about 15 minutes, reset the GFI and tried to flush. This ďfixedĒ the problem the first time, so it should work this timeÖnope. Pressed the flush, water entered, heard a single click, the valve did not open.

Since I hear a click I donít think it is a bad connection or is it? I donít want to start tearing into it with no solid idea of what might be wrong.

Thoughts on what might be wrong are much appreciated.
GuyFawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2021, 01:07 PM   #2

Just had a similar issue w our mid bath toilet though no similarity w the gfi. The toilet should be 12v, as mine is. Pad showed green as well, replaced this 1st as it was the easiest to access. In our senecio the actual motor was bad....water would fill and then sometimes flush or not, eventually it just stopped working. Unfortunately you have to pull the entire toilet to check the motor. Good luck.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
NXR

You're mixing up what you found versus the result. The Tecma is only 12 volts DC so the GFCI has absolutely nothing to do with it.

There is no real reason to perform multiple flushes on a Tecma because the macerator and pump are all you need. In fact, you may have overheated the Tecma motor.

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to use it?

If not, try this because it worked for me.

Gain access to the back of the toilet. Hopefully you have an access panel behind the toilet seat.

Remove the screws on each side of the Tecma. That will allow you to slide the toilet towards you a few inches to gain more room to work.

There is a plug on a valve on the water line. That valve is what lets water into the toilet and you do not need any more water in it. Unplug that plug.

Now you can attempt test flushes without adding any water.

Take a screwdriver, go in through the access panel and contort yourself so you can see the innards of the toilet. Locate the pump/motor assembly and give it a few thumps with the handle of the screwdriver. Not super hard, just some whacks.

Then attempt to flush the toilet.

When I had this happen that allowed the motor to work again because it reset the motor brushes against the armature. If this works, install the plug on to the water valve again and re-assemble everything.

If all else fails, take a gallon water jug and using scissors, cut the top off the jug but leave the handle attached. Put gloves on and take a cup (I used a Solo cup) and bail the toilet into the jug. Then pour it down the sewer connection you hopefully have. If you need to travel, put Saran Wrap across the toilet bowl to contain any sloshing of water.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 08-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick responses. Ray maybe I should be the one smack with the screwdriver. I know in my mind it is 12 volt but clearly didnít connect the obvious..,the GFI has nothing to with the twelve volt toilet.

I do have a wooden access panel behind my toilet so hopefully that allows the extra room I need. My contortionist skills are lacking so will see how that plays out.

Also thanks for the advice on the flushing. Fortunately our coach is a bath and a half so this isnít critical. I am more peeved with myself for mucking something up and not knowing how to fix it.
GuyFawkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:40 PM   #5

Racerenegade thanks for the response. Did you first replace the solenoid and then replace the motor because replacing the solenoid didn’t fix the problem?
Old 08-14-2021, 11:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
Racerenegade thanks for the response. Did you first replace the solenoid and then replace the motor because replacing the solenoid didnít fix the problem?
Warranty fix, they sent this item first....when that didnít work I removed the unit to investigate myself and discovered the bad intermittent motor which they also replaced. FYI itís a sealed china motor...so there is no fixing or resetting, toss in the trash and replace.
RaceRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, ecm, macerator, problem, tecma