Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2020, 08:50 PM   #1

Tee Propane After Regulator for Grill

I'm thinking about adding a quick disconnect to my travel trailer for a future grill - model yet TBD but will likely be something that runs off of 1 pound tanks. I have the typical dual 20# tank setup with an automatic changeover regulator. Picture attached. I would like to have the hookup after the regulator so I don't have to manually swap tank connections.

The regulator outlet is a 3/8 FPT connection. There is then a 3/8 MPT to 3/8 M Flare adapter to which the hose feeding all of the appliances connects.

The line runs along the driver side of the trailer with two tees/manifolds. First is a tee to the water heater, then a three branch manifold farther back that goes to the kitchen for the stove, fridge and furnace. Pic of manifold attached.

Would it be a bad idea to tee right off of the regulator? I would want the quick disconnect at the front passenger side, so this would be the shortest run and also avoid messing with the factory hoses. I would put the tee immediately below the regulator and reconnect the existing hose to one outlet. The second outlet would have a valve and short hose to a mounting point right at the back edge of the A frame where it could be secured, eventually terminating with a connector like this.

Space would be one concern but I could add an elbow to make both lines point downward and still be able to put the cover on. It would be more stuff in the way for tank changes but those are not all that frequent.

Or would I be better off removing the tee at the water heater, replacing it with another manifold like shown and running 8-10 feet under the trailer? Not sure where to find those manifolds - the manufacturer is clear but their website isn't.

Anything I'm missing? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200921_132457.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	301843   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200920_110839.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	301844  

tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #2

The temperature control on a BBQ , that uses one pound bottles, is a regulator, so you need to T off before the RV regulator or you’ll double regulate your supply.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:39 PM   #3

I would Tee in where/closer to where you want to actually cook. It’s all 1/2” pipe, so you can add in a tee and use a nipple to add a port. I wouldn’t T in at the regulator because then you always have to cook right next to the LP bottles and battery’s.

The regulator on the trailer will reduce to working pressure, the BBQ regulator won’t reduce any more and will work fine
Old 09-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #4

skip426 has it right. typically the grills that use the 1 lb bottles have a combined regulator / flame control. if you want to use one like this you will have to supply high pressure propane to it which says you need to tap into the rv before the rv regulator.

you can do this by adding a y adapter right at the tank. connect two hoses to this adapter. one is the existing hose to the rv regulator. the other would be a hose you can by that terminates in a fitting that is the same as the screw threads on the 1 lb bottle. then just screw the grill regulator / flame control onto this fitting.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:06 AM   #5

Got it - for my plan I need a grill with an external regulator, which I would then have to remove/bypass from the RV straight to the grill.

This one is on my radar and has an external regulator - only question would be if the connection on the grill is a standard thread an unregulated hose can connect to. The local warehouse does not have it in stock so I can't take a look. Would also prefer something with its own stand.

Guess I'll grill shop before I make any other purchases. Thanks.
tom92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom92 View Post
Got it - for my plan I need a grill with an external regulator, which I would then have to remove/bypass from the RV straight to the grill.

This one is on my radar and has an external regulator - only question would be if the connection on the grill is a standard thread an unregulated hose can connect to. The local warehouse does not have it in stock so I can't take a look. Would also prefer something with its own stand.

Guess I'll grill shop before I make any other purchases. Thanks.
Both Weber Q and Blackstone grills are common to do this with - you just buy a quick connect conversion kit.

https://www.amazon.com/M-B-Sturgis-I.../dp/B06XHNGM5R

https://www.amazon.com/STYDDI-Pressu.../dp/B081YR8Z2F

You just remove the regulator, throw on the new fittings, and you're good to go.

I'm also doing this with an Outland Firebowl using off the shelf adapters.

On my rig, I tapped into the water heater line, which is on the door side of the rig, and added a quick connect coupler just below the skirting. I then use it directly, or with a Y adapter so I can feed multiple devices.

Name:	QC.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	525.2 KB
ID:	301915
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This how I did it on our TT and our sons. Where the tee is there was an elbow. By putting in a spot like that you don't have to add or cut pipe and thread. Elbow is same dimensions as tee. The grille you are looking at should have a pipe thread connection for the regulator hose, so you could easily buy or make a hose to go between the grille and quick connector on trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SAM_2950.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	406.5 KB
ID:	301916  
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane