Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #1

Thanks for the help.

Atwood water heater stopped working on electric. I searched here and learned about the ECO. Bit of a pain to get to but I was able to reset and all is good now. They should mention somewhere, maybe they do and I haven't seen it, that the engine heats the water to a temp that will trip the ECO when you turn on the electric heater. Again, thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2017, 11:05 PM   #2

2003 model ECO for electric heat source located on backside of water heater tank

Normal temp t-stat should have shutdown electric heating when temp reached 140*F
'Motor Aid' should on be able to heat water to 130*F +/- because of surface contact.....small diameter very short 'U' tube welded to backside of WH Tank so heat transfer is limited.
The motor aid and electric element together should not cause ECO to trip
ECO (Energy Cut Off---high temp t-stat) trips at 180*F WHEN normal t-stat fails to OPEN
So if you had to reset ECO then normal t-stat may NOT be functioning correctly.
Either it isn't opening OR is NOT in tight contact with WH Tank wall.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:05 AM   #3

Well it's worked fine on electric before and is working fine now. Not sure what happened but after driving, pulled into a campsite, plugged in and turned on the electric heater. No heat, I could tell as the amp usage didn't increase.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Well it's worked fine on electric before and is working fine now. Not sure what happened but after driving, pulled into a campsite, plugged in and turned on the electric heater. No heat, I could tell as the amp usage didn't increase.
ECO doesn't trip unless temp is high. (180*F)
Temp goes high because normal t-stat didn't open (140*F)

Maybe fiddling around getting to ECO to reset it you h=may have bumped normal t-stat (they are side by side) and it is NOW making better contact with tank wall (where/how it gets temp sensing)

Should ECO trip again.......check normal t-stat function/tightness.
Otherwise ECO wouldn't have to trip
Old 02-09-2017, 04:09 PM   #5

Well it was another post here that mentioned the engine heat could exceed the trip temp of the ECO. That's what made me find and reset it. After running on propane for several days I got it reset and it has been running fine for several more days on electric. Guess I'll have to wait until it occurs again to investigate further. My MH is an 03, not sure what year the water heater is, certainly could be older as I suspect Winnebago would purchase in large lots.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Well it was another post here that mentioned the engine heat could exceed the trip temp of the ECO. That's what made me find and reset it. After running on propane for several days I got it reset and it has been running fine for several more days on electric. Guess I'll have to wait until it occurs again to investigate further. My MH is an 03, not sure what year the water heater is, certainly could be older as I suspect Winnebago would purchase in large lots.
Atwood made design/control changes for 2004 and newer models
2003 and previous models were same.

Motoraid 'U' tube is very limited in ability to exchange heat from engine coolant system
Very small surface area......130*F best IF traveling for several hours