Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2016, 10:08 AM   #29
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I had a Samsung Authorized Service Tech repair my RF-197 under warranty back in December 2012.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/froze...97-148842.html

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Obviously you got a tech that didn't want to give you any static about the repair, but all of them may not be that cooperative! After reading the highlights in the warranty statement, don't you think they could get out of fixing it if they wanted to?

Where do you find anything that says the Samsung will work satisfactorily on the MSW inverters?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Joe,
Are you basically a post to post camper like we are or do you dry camp some? I ask because I do not have our Samsung connected to any inverter and have not had any issues with food spoilage on our travels.
Bob, why do you not have your fridge connected to the inverter? It is extremely simple to do. Just plug it into the outlet where your Norcold icemaker was plugged in. That is an inverter-supplied outlet.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:37 AM   #31

American Coach Owners Club
Can't speak for Bob, but my fridge does not like my MSW inverter, and getting a PSW that can handle the load is not trivial. We've decided that we can pay for a lot of upgrades to full hookup campgrounds for the cost of a sufficient PSW.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Hi Joe,

Sorry about your fridge dying on you. Probably a blessing, though.

I recently installed a new whirlpool 21 cf side-by-side. I finally got around to documenting the project.

If it interests you, you can read about it by following the link in my signature line. The fridge replacement project starts with post 2. I broke the project in to about 4 separate posts.

Take care and good luck to you!

------
Dave & Young
2003 American Coach Revolution 40C
Link to Projects on our 2003 Revolution 40C
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/proj...0c-285523.html
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:46 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post

Obviously you got a tech that didn't want to give you any static about the repair, but all of them may not be that cooperative! After reading the highlights in the warranty statement, don't you think they could get out of fixing it if they wanted to?

Where do you find anything that says the Samsung will work satisfactorily on the MSW inverters?
Joe,

I called Samsung directly to set up the service call. You cannot call the service company directly when the fridge is still under the warranty period. They have a list of Samsung Approved Authorized Service Companies to choose from in the area that you happen to be staying at the time plus they set up the appointment for you. I gave them an address where to find me. It should not matter whether it is a house or an RV park. Residential fridges have been used in motor-coaches for many years before your coach was ever ever built. That doesn't make a residential fridge work any different or render them used in a non-approved application.

The statement that you quoted from Samsung is a CYA position and boiler plate statements that you will find with all brands of appliances. That doesn't necessarily let them off the hook for repairs.

With regards to the Inverter question and whether the RF-197 would work with a MSW Inverter, that was answered by Samsung many years ago even before I installed the RF-197 back in 2012. A number of people had contacted Ms. Samsung with that specific question and "she" answered that it would work fine.

I have attached a PDF file of five specific questions regarding the use of MSW Inverters and the answers from Ms. Samsung. I don't have specific dates as to when they were asked but is was well before April 2012.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Samsung Support Forum.pdf (193.1 KB, 48 views)
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:07 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Bob, why do you not have your fridge connected to the inverter? It is extremely simple to do. Just plug it into the outlet where your Norcold icemaker was plugged in. That is an inverter-supplied outlet.
Our last trip was our "maiden" voyage with the Samsung and I just wanted to keep things simple. I have both outlets available right behind the refer so it is simply a matter of moving the plug from one outlet to the other. There is no other reason. I have the Samsung RF197 and, as Dr4Film (Richard) has pointed out, Samsung has given the OK for these units to be operated on MSW inverters.

I covered the Norcold vent in the back with Styrofoam, but did not seal it in place so I can access the back of the refer with no problem. This has already turned out to be a wise decision since our old tubing to the ice maker decided to split when we hit Las Vegas. ( I had tested it earlier during the install and all was well.) It was easy to remove the cover, identify the issue and get it turned off in the water bay. I will be replacing the old tubing later this year. It would probably be a good idea to replace that tubing on any new install.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #35

Quote:
When we bought the Windsor in 2012 the first thing I did was to replace the Norcold 1200 cooling unit with one of the Amish-built units, even though the Norcold was working fine at the time.
MSHappyCampers
Why did you replace the Norcold 1200 cooling unit if it was was "working fine"?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #36
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
MSHappyCampers
Why did you replace the Norcold 1200 cooling unit if it was was "working fine"?
Wondering
Mel
'96 Safari

Mel, I had read too many reports of fires from the Norcold fridges, some even with the recalls done. I just didn't want to take the chance!
Old 04-17-2016, 12:35 PM   #37
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Joe,

I called Samsung directly to set up the service call. You cannot call the service company directly when the fridge is still under the warranty period. They have a list of Samsung Approved Authorized Service Companies to choose from in the area that you happen to be staying at the time plus they set up the appointment for you. I gave them an address where to find me. It should not matter whether it is a house or an RV park. Residential fridges have been used in motor-coaches for many years before your coach was ever ever built. That doesn't make a residential fridge work any different or render them used in a non-approved application.

The statement that you quoted from Samsung is a CYA position and boiler plate statements that you will find with all brands of appliances. That doesn't necessarily let them off the hook for repairs.

With regards to the Inverter question and whether the RF-197 would work with a MSW Inverter, that was answered by Samsung many years ago even before I installed the RF-197 back in 2012. A number of people had contacted Ms. Samsung with that specific question and "she" answered that it would work fine.

I have attached a PDF file of five specific questions regarding the use of MSW Inverters and the answers from Ms. Samsung. I don't have specific dates as to when they were asked but is was well before April 2012.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard, what about the answer that "Samsung does not recommend installing it in a MH" ?
Old 04-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Does anyone know of ANY side-by-side fridge that will fit the space where the Norcold 1200 is?

I see that the RF-18 fits except for the height. I have a storage space under the fridge that I would have to give up, but I'm pretty sure that's gonna be true with anything I find!

Richard, what did you do about the storage under the fridge? Do you have pics of your installation process?
Old 04-17-2016, 02:16 PM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Richard, what about the answer that "Samsung does not recommend installing it in a MH"?
Joe,

You are reading too much into what has been stated. Samsung may not recommend installing their fridge in a motorhome BUT they do not state that if you do that it VOIDS any warranty like some manufacturers state. Be careful what brand you end up purchasing.

Quote:

Richard, what did you do about the storage under the fridge? Do you have pics of your installation process?
I still have some storage under the fridge. It just happens to be 7 inches shorter. I had one of the old Norcold fridge panels made into a new door to cover the smaller storage compartment.

Installation document attached.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Samsung RF197ACBP.pdf (2.55 MB, 38 views)
Old 04-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Joe,

You are reading too much into what has been stated. Samsung may not recommend installing their fridge in a motorhome BUT they do not state that if you do that it VOIDS any warranty like some manufacturers state. Be careful what brand you end up purchasing.

I still have some storage under the fridge. It just happens to be 7 inches shorter. I had one of the old Norcold fridge panels made into a new door to cover the smaller storage compartment.

Installation document attached.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks for the excellent documentation Richard! I remember seeing that before but had forgotten about it!

I have spent the afternoon searching for a side-by-side fridge like Annette wants, but all I could find will stick out in the hallway WAAY too far! I just told Annette that the only choices were to put in another cooling unit or go with the Samsung fridge. Lowe's has the RF18 fridge on sale until 4/19 at $998. Only problem is it can't be delivered until 5/22! I think she will probably give in and go with the Samsung.

I'm waiting on a final price from David Force on replacing the cooling unit, but I'm kind of gun-shy now since this one only lasted 4 years!
Old 04-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
......our old tubing to the ice maker decided to split when we hit Las Vegas. ( I had tested it earlier during the install and all was well.) It was easy to remove the cover, identify the issue and get it turned off in the water bay. I will be replacing the old tubing later this year. It would probably be a good idea to replace that tubing on any new install.
Replace it with copper tubing. I had to repair my plastic icemaker tubing twice on my 2003 Beaver before I wised up. When I finally installed copper, it stayed fixed.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 03:37 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I just told Annette that the only choices were to put in another cooling unit or go with the Samsung fridge. Lowe's has the RF18 fridge on sale until 4/19 at $998. Only problem is it can't be delivered until 5/22! I think she will probably give in and go with the Samsung.
The Samsung RF18 fridge is a little taller than the RF-197. Therefore instead of needing 7 more inches of height you are now closer to 8 inches. That will not leave much of anything for storage below the fridge.

What I would do is to install the fridge right onto the floor keeping the fridge as low as possible. Then use some trim to cover up the small opening left at the top.

You may want to check some other places that offer free shipping for their prices such as AJMadison where you can buy one for $995 with free shipping.

Dr4Film ----- Richard