Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #1

The Onan 4000 problem....

Someone on one of these forums replied to my question about the Onan problem we're having but I cannot find that thread. This was his reply: "I'll assume your Onan is of the 1993 vintage as listed in your signature. Can you post the model number? Gensets of that era will not have a "prime" function. Depending upon the model yours may be a vacuum operated choke pull-off, a combination vacuum and electric pull-off, or thermal pull-off. In most cases on units of this vintage, I find either the vacuum diaphragm failed or the 1/4" tubing which supplies it, When they fail they are unable to hold the choke in the proper position until the unit is running and somewhat warmed up. Very easy fix, very inexpensive, does not require removal of the genset from the coach."

The problem is the choke opens when the generator starts but will not close, so the Genny bogs down and stops. How do we get it to close once the gen is running? All suggestions welcome. And yes, the gen is of the 1993 era.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #2

On the menu bar above, click 'Quick Links' then 'Subscribed Threads'.

But, how would you find these instructions if you don't already know how to do that?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:31 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-nickie View Post
On the menu bar above, click 'Quick Links' then 'Subscribed Threads'.

But, how would you find these instructions if you don't already know how to do that?
I had cut and pasted them on Notepad for my husband to read. There are only a few threads under "subscribed threads" and it's not there. I must not be auto-subscribed. I thought I posted the question on the Class-C Forum but can't find it there either. :(
Old 06-19-2014, 04:36 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Here ya go.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/choke...ny-207237.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #5

Bogs down, as in when you turn on your air?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Here's where I found it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1403174778.323777.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	65711
That's on your profile page.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Bogs down, as in when you turn on your air?
When the gen is cold the choke opens or whatever it's supposed to do, but then will not close so she bogs down and stalls. It was nothing to do with the A/C. When the gen is already warmed up, the choke apparently doesn't open because it starts right up and keeps running. This is the best way I can explain it.

Something is keeping the choke from closing once the genny warms up.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Here's where I found it.
Attachment 65711
That's on your profile page.
Thanks. I need to learn how to use the Search features. I can grow a beautiful garden and keep my pets healthy... but when it comes to computers and these Forums, I'm hopeless.
Old 06-19-2014, 05:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
When the gen is cold the choke opens or whatever it's supposed to do, but then will not close so she bogs down and stalls. It was nothing to do with the A/C. When the gen is already warmed up, the choke apparently doesn't open because it starts right up and keeps running. This is the best way I can explain it.

Something is keeping the choke from closing once the genny warms up.
Just to possibly help you explain your problem more,,,, ( not nit picking by any means, I'm confused too,,,) , when the genny is cold, the choke is "shut" . Or closed... (hopefully...) As it warms up, the choke gradually opens, (or turns off I guess you could say) .... Re-reading your last post, sounds like the choke is not "closing" , thus hard to start when the engine is cold. I'd have to go look, but I think our 95 Onan 4000 choke is operated by tempurture. I have the manuals on mine. Let me know if I can help ...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
Just to possibly help you explain your problem more,,,, ( not nit picking by any means, I'm confused too,,,) , when the genny is cold, the choke is "shut" . Or closed... (hopefully...) As it warms up, the choke gradually opens, (or turns off I guess you could say) .... Re-reading your last post, sounds like the choke is not "closing" , thus hard to start when the engine is cold. I'd have to go look, but I think our 95 Onan 4000 choke is operated by tempurture. I have the manuals on mine. Let me know if I can help ...
Monkey
Thank you. I know what I mean but can't seem to explain it correctly. Yes, you have it right. It is hard or impossible to start it when cold (not run for some hours/very cold outside). He has to go outside the RV to get it started. After it warms up it runs great with no stalling or coughing - runs like a well oiled machine you can say. And once warmed up (run for awhile) it it will start almost instantly with the switch in the RV.

Tags
onan