Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #71

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amish Cooling Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007" View Post
To add to the previous post I received a PM from FreeByrd and he told me when he pulled the Norcold cooling unit it was easy to remove from box because it was light, I say it was cheap thin metal tubing.
The Amish unit he needed help to reset in box because it was double the weight of Norcold.
Kind of reminds me of the older well built coils.
Hey Guys, I moderate a group of Bounder owners 4,000 strong. Several of our members have installed the Amish units. In fact all three moderators have the Amish units including me. I had mine installed in July and I have been to the factory and spent the better part of the day watching the units being built.

Let me start by saying they are well built and are indeed made of much heavier metal. The design does include more coils as well. Now let me clear up a few things. Stay with me because there is a point to be made.

The refrigerator depends on heat from a boiler/generator to pump the ammonia and water up to the top. This generator is in the chimney above the gas flame. The electric elements are connected to the generator. It should be noted this is not the larger container you see on the back of the refrigerator. That container holds the water/ammonia/hydrogen gas and a anti-corrosive called sodium chromate. A large pipe from this container goes into the boiler. As the boiler/generator boils the mixture of ammonia and water it percolates up the pipe.The water cools before it reaches the top and drops back down to the tank. The ammonia continues into the condenser "fins". From there the ammonia goes through a series of changes as it is combined with hydrogen gas. Eventually it all ends up back in the tank. The refrigerator depends on gravity to circulate the liquids back to the tank through the coils. That is why the coils are tilted. The refrigerator must be level when parked to have the liquid flow properly inside the coils because the coil angle is designed for efficient gravity flow to the tank.

So you are wondering what this has to do with the Amish unit. This will help you understand. The Norcold cooling units are made of thinner material. Because they are thin they heat up more in the generator and can get so hot they glow red hot. This can eventually cause the thin boiler tube to crack releasing explosive hydrogen gas.

If you are using propane or the pipes are red hot when this happens the hydrogen ignites like a blow torch. Norcold decided that putting a thermal switch on the pipes would turn off the refrigerator before it gets that hot. This has not proven to be a viable solution. Now let me say my Norcold 1200 LRIM performed great for 10 years and was still working fine when I changed to the Amish unit. I changed because I had seen several coaches burned down from failing units.

When my Norcold unit was pulled I was surprised to see that some insulation was burned and there was evidence that my boiler had overheated and corroded. It was in fact a ticking bomb. It took the Amish folks less than 3 hours to change out my cooling unit at the factory in Shipshewanna, Indiana.

There are some things about the Amish units you all need to know. The refrigerator needs air circulation over the fins in the back to help cool the ammonia and help it change back into a liquid as it absorbs heat from inside the refrigerator.

Because the Amish units are made of thicker metal the pipes are not going to overheat....but...the thicker metal has its downside. Because the fins and pipes are thicker they do not cool down as fast as the thinner Norcold units. This means they need more air circulation through the fins. To help with this the new units come with a fan switch that is 5 degrees cooler than the stock switch. The fans come on at 125 degrees instead of 130 degrees. The pipes are hotter the fins are thicker and the fans must run a lot more to keep them cool.

This has a big impact on battery voltage when dry camping. Before I installed the Amish unit I seldom heard my fans run except on very hot days. Now I hear them run most of the time. I must say my freezer has never been so cold even with the setting on 1 and the refrigerator cooled down pretty fast. My refrigerator stays between 45-50 degrees with the Amish unit. It was colder with the Norcold cooling unit but the freezer wasn't as cold.

My refrigerator is not mounted in a slide but if it were, as are some of my friends, it is very important to add a metal baffle to help direct the air flow out the side. Be prepared to hear the fans, a lot.

I'm on the road now but when I get home I plan to work on more efficient and quieter fans. I have been in contact with David Force with my concerns about the fans running all the time but he seems to think it isn't a problem. I know a lot of people who disagree. I feel like if you are going to spend $1300 for a cooling unit you need to know all the facts. As someone has already said, these units are relatively new and there are some things that need to be looked at. If you have one take a look at the screws that hold the burner and igniter to the flue and make sure they are tight. Some are not. Mine were not and I had to install larger screws.

I would not install a residential unit in my RV because I spend a lot of time on the road. I don't want to be tethered to an electric outlet or generator to keep my food cold. If I were a full timer who seldom went anywhere I would consider a Maytag but I feel that if you want to do that you should consider renting a place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Damage Coils On NorCold Refrigeratior.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	27239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Heat Damage Norcold 1200 LRIM.jpg
Views:	1432
Size:	372.8 KB
ID:	27240  

peskyfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Because the Amish units are made of thicker metal the pipes are not going to overheat....but...the thicker metal has its downside. Because the fins and pipes are thicker they do not cool down as fast as the thinner Norcold units. This means they need more air circulation through the fins. To help with this the new units come with a fan switch that is 5 degrees cooler than the stock switch. The fans come on at 125 degrees instead of 130 degrees. The pipes are hotter the fins are thicker and the fans must run a lot more to keep them cool.

Thanks for that bit on information peskyfellow some I am sure did not realize the need for stock switch change unless Amish noted it.
I have added this info in the recall thread for Norcold & Dometic.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Peskyfeller,

Thanks for the VERY informative reply. I now understand why the Amish unit requires better airflow.

I too had issues with the constant fan noise, and eventually solved the issue. You can read my thread here: "clicky"

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #74

Amish cooling unit upgrade

I just had my Norcold 1201LRIM cooling unit replaced with the Amish unit. Had it done at Cape Fear Custom RV. Big shout out to Dennis Harp and his crew at Cape Fear.........very professional and competent organization, if you are ever in the Wilmington NC area and need service do not hesitate to contact them. This was the first Amish unit he had seen and wants to start using them in place of the Norcold and Dometic units. They were impressed with it. I ordered the unit, new fans, fan switch, heating elements and baffle from David Force and had it shipped to Cape Fear for contract installation.

We bought our rig in July of 2012.......went online and checked with Norcold to see if the factory recall had been done and were assured that it had. Problem solved right?

Well, in December I went to fire up the unit for our trip to Disney and ........nothing. Jumpered out the recall device for the trip but relied mostly on ice chests for our trip.....got back and started digging only to find that all sorts of FUBAR and SNAFU existed with Norcold 1201 units and that they were up to at least revision "E" on recalls and that there are now class action lawsuits.........more research and I found the Amish unit and made my decision. Once we got the old CU out it was evident that at least two recalls had been done on that unit because there were parts with two separate revision ID's being used and in one case a sensor was installed in the wrong position. Burnt insulation and corroded pipes were the order of the day but no leaks. Three hours later I was on my way.

Now........got it home, fired it up, set it at 3, 3 hours later the freezer was at 15 and the fridge just under 40. Didn't notice any objectionable fan noise but did notice that the fans do come on sooner.

I am very happy with my upgrade.......any questions....give me a holler
Kingixolib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job Dennis your home work is complete.
Your fans will cycle off and on dependent how warm a day it is.
Just get the word out to others may need the information you have found.
Now hard ice cream and cool ones and safe travels with your revived Norcold.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #76

Amish upgrade update

I decided to do spring PM on da motor home this weekend and have had the fridge running. Temp control set on 3.........yesterday was a 78 degree day here in Wilmington and that wall of the coach was in direct sunlight most of the day............left freezer.........0 degrees, right freezer.....15 degrees, fridge top and bottom just under 40 degrees.
Kingixolib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:28 PM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Gary, a compressor driven unit is not any safer or more functional than an ammonia absorption unit.

Ammonia has been used as an industrial refrigerant since before 1900. In addition to ammonia, there was Sulfur dioxide (SO2) and methylchloride. When duPont came on the scene with the "Freon" (Chlorine based) refrigerants, ammonia was pushed to the rear and a lot of the ammonia technology was lost.

Ammonia is still the most widely used refrigerant in large cold storage and food preparation installations. Ammonia is the most efficient refrigerant in use today and it is even used in the cooling system on the International Space Station. I doubt if it would have been used there if it was so unsafe.

Ammonia will burn, in a very narrow combustion range, but only in the presence of a flame. No flame, no fire.

I have been in the industrial cooling field since 1970 and worked with numerous ammonia systems, both mechanical and absorption and have not had one blow up or catch fire due to the refrigerant being ammonia.

The newer ammonia absorption units are not being built to last as long as the older units. Our 1979 Silver Streak had the unit finally stop cooling when it was 29 years old. No leaks, no fires, etc. The systems have an anti corrosive agent in the mix to stop the corrosion.

Mechanical units are actually more prone to failure, due to the moving parts and they are also subject to electrical fires.

Let's not give ammonia a bad reputation based on hear-say and speculation.

Ken
Very well said, Ken. The issue here is NORCOLD, not absorption refrigeration. My thinking is that boon dockers will do very well with the Amish solution. It is economical, doesn't add to energy load, and doesn't require revamping the electrical system to accommodate it.

Stan
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpearston View Post
I know I am going to add a couple of 12v PC fans, they are cheap and if it makes any difference, they are well worth it.
Just be sure to check the output rating of the fans you buy. Computer fans all look alike but do come in different power levels. You want to buy a fan at least as powerful as the fan you are replacing. If you go more powerful, be prepared to accept an increase in sound/noise.

Stan
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #79

Tiffin Owners Club
Stan, NORCOLD is an absorption type refridgerator, and yes the amish type replacement cooling unit is a very good solution to the Norcold failing units. Ask me how I know.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #80

I had Norcold in my 95 Jayco and now in the 13 Newmar. They both performed flawlessly and keep every thing cold and froze summer and winter. I can't even hear the one run in the Newmar other then the burner if you are outside and running it on gas. If it was to fail I would just put in another Norcold and be done with it. Not spend any money on a old junk Norcold. I think Norcold has fixed the problem by now as Newmar and about everybody else still uses the Norcold brand or Dometic.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #81

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I had Norcold in my 95 Jayco and now in the 13 Newmar. They both performed flawlessly and keep every thing cold and froze summer and winter. I can't even hear the one run in the Newmar other then the burner if you are outside and running it on gas. If it was to fail I would just put in another Norcold and be done with it. Not spend any money on a old junk Norcold. I think Norcold has fixed the problem by now as Newmar and about everybody else still uses the Norcold brand or Dometic.
Really??- read this:Norcold Recall
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Really??- read this:Norcold Recall
Mine is model N811RT and it does not seem to be on the recall list. This is in a 2013 Newmar with a build date of June 2013. Long after the last recall dates of 2010. I don't know when the fridge was built though as I can see no date on the sticker on door although there is a build code. I had seen this recall before and though they only went as late as 2010. If Newmar would of put a defective unit in my coach in June of 2012 they would be putting me in a new one for free. As this recall and problem has been out for some time. I can't find the N811RT on the recall list so I should be good to go, but am not sure.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:55 PM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
How many hundred thousands of these Norcolds have been made and are still working?
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
How many hundred thousands of these Norcolds have been made and are still working?
All of them, except the hundreds of them that burnt up along with the coach!

Tags
kz-rv, norcold, refrigerator, amish cooling unit