Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2011, 10:12 PM   #1

The Only Real Cure for an Norcold RV Refrigerator "Problem"

We've owned a KZ Escalade 37' Toyhauler for 5 years and have never been satisfied with the performance of the 4 door Norcold 1200 unit that is in our Kitchen Slide Out. We're from FL and would try to run the unit on 8 or 9 to attempt to keep it below 40* on a hot day and usually would have to lower the setting because the refrigerator temperature would rise when we turned it up.

We finally "qualified" for the latest Norcold recall/fix and had the work done in Blythe, CA about 12 weeks ago. After that, we decided that we were not going to wait for this thing to fail, leaving us high & dry out boondocking somewhere with a refrigerator that was now a 200+ lb. paperweight. And there was NO WAY we were buying another cooling unit from Norcold or a new Dometic Fridge that would eventually have the same issues!

We opted for a New Amish Cooling Unit with a 5 year warranty from the RV Cooling Warehouse. The unit shipped to a local RV shop here in Benson, AZ and a friend of mine and I installed it over the coarse of 2 days, incorporating some other upgrades that would help performance and safety for years to come.
We shot photos of the installation and enhancements that were made and have them on "youtube" as a video if anyone is interested at:

Enlarge the screen to Full Size & use the pause button to review each slide. Please click "I liked this" if you did.

The instructions provided were easy to follow and the install went smoothly with no technical problems. The Fridge NOW works as well as our residential unit did in our sticks & bricks house back in FL. It now makes Ice and runs between 34* & 37* on setting 3 - 5 depending on the outside temperature.

It's Great to be free of that old Norcold cooling unit and it's tendency to fail or start a fire. There have been no fires reported with these "beefed up" cooling units but I did install an SS-30 Remote Fire Extinguisher from Fire Fight 1 and it's installation is also part of the slideshow above.

We're now in Quartzsite, AZ to spend a couple of months Boondocking. . . hope to see you out there and hope this helps some of you with what was for us, a tough decision that's turned out really well!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good job FreeByrd and welcome to irv2.
You made the best option with the Norcold which I think many of us will be doing in future.
Their recalls will be a thing of the pass along with them if they don't get something right soon.
Its on my list to do because my 1200 has always worked as it should and the box is a good unit just a poor defective cooling unit.
Your links at bottom are also of good use also.
Thanks for the informative first post.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:52 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
What a great solution. Thanks for sharing that &

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Great job and post Freebyrd
Old 01-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #5

You are right, that cooling unit is IMO the best available. Thanks for posting your experiences and the how-to video
Welcome to the irv2.com extended family.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #6

When somebody says that "the only way" to cure a problem when talking, I take it with a grain of salt because I'm pragmatic, and, analytical.

My Norcold has been running 24/7 for 10 years and if I don't watch it, my veggies, and bottles of water freeze. I accomplish this with little tricks that are well known by a large portion of (at least full-time) RV'ing subculture.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #7

An Amish cooling unit is a BLOCK OF ICE!! LOL
davecampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I'd say the "best" solution is to replace it with a residential (compressor driven) fridge. That way the ammonia cycle cooling unit it eliminated altogether, thus making the RV both safer and more functional.

I respectfully submit that the Amish cooling units are relatively recent on the market and we have no way of knowing of they are any better quality than any other manufacturer's cooling unit. The ammonia in an absorption cooling unit is inherently corrosive and some percentage are going to fail. And if the ammonia escapes through a leak, the cooling unit overheats and a fire is a real possibility.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
FreeByrd - Welcome to irv2.com and thanks for a magnificent video. Fridge problems seem to be universal amongst RV'ers. This looks like a great solution.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
When somebody says that "the only way" to cure a problem when talking, I take it with a grain of salt because I'm pragmatic, and, analytical.

My Norcold has been running 24/7 for 10 years and if I don't watch it, my veggies, and bottles of water freeze. I accomplish this with little tricks that are well known by a large portion of (at least full-time) RV'ing subculture.

Ed
Perhaps you'd consider sharing your "little tricks" with the rest of us full timers that don't fall into the "large portion" block of the RVing subculture?
Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'd say the "best" solution is to replace it with a residential (compressor driven) fridge. That way the ammonia cycle cooling unit it eliminated altogether, thus making the RV both safer and more functional.

I respectfully submit that the Amish cooling units are relatively recent on the market and we have no way of knowing of they are any better quality than any other manufacturer's cooling unit. The ammonia in an absorption cooling unit is inherently corrosive and some percentage are going to fail. And if the ammonia escapes through a leak, the cooling unit overheats and a fire is a real possibility.
Thanks for the reply. But as noted in the initial thread, we don't prefer being tied to a power post in a "cramp-ground" full time. Looking at "Brigadoon's" thread in this forum, who did install a Maytag residential unit, it appears to consume about 180 amps/day (including inverter inefficiencies) which is 10% more than our current total power consumption for a 24 hr period produced by our A&M Solar System. . . might not be too practical given our current lifestyle. Might also be why these RV's don't come with a residential unit in them.

Don't know if you're familiar with "Mac The Fire Guy" or not:

Mac McCoy Is

but I was lucky enough to talk with him this week in Quartzsite, AZ and it seems that he has been to the RV Pines (Amish Cooling Unit) facility, met the folks there and plans to have his refrigerator changed over by them this spring or summer. When I told him that we had just installed an Amish cooling unit in our 5 year old 1200 Norcold, and one of the Fire Fight 1, SS-30 Halon fire extinguishers, the same fire extinguisher unit as Mac sells, he told me that I really didn't need it now that I had an Amish Cooling Unit powering the fridge.

I respectfully submit that, until Norcold & Dometic return to building their cooling units the way they did 10 years ago, with heavier gauge, higher quality materials, that the RV fires containing their cooling units will continue.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:40 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I'd say the "best" solution is to replace it with a residential (compressor driven) fridge. That way the ammonia cycle cooling unit it eliminated altogether, thus making the RV both safer and more functional.................
The ammonia in an absorption cooling unit is inherently corrosive and some percentage are going to fail. And if the ammonia escapes through a leak, the cooling unit overheats and a fire is a real possibility.
Gary, a compressor driven unit is not any safer or more functional than an ammonia absorption unit.

Ammonia has been used as an industrial refrigerant since before 1900. In addition to ammonia, there was Sulfur dioxide (SO2) and methylchloride. When duPont came on the scene with the "Freon" (Chlorine based) refrigerants, ammonia was pushed to the rear and a lot of the ammonia technology was lost.

Ammonia is still the most widely used refrigerant in large cold storage and food preparation installations. Ammonia is the most efficient refrigerant in use today and it is even used in the cooling system on the International Space Station. I doubt if it would have been used there if it was so unsafe.

Ammonia will burn, in a very narrow combustion range, but only in the presence of a flame. No flame, no fire.

I have been in the industrial cooling field since 1970 and worked with numerous ammonia systems, both mechanical and absorption and have not had one blow up or catch fire due to the refrigerant being ammonia.

The newer ammonia absorption units are not being built to last as long as the older units. Our 1979 Silver Streak had the unit finally stop cooling when it was 29 years old. No leaks, no fires, etc. The systems have an anti corrosive agent in the mix to stop the corrosion.

Mechanical units are actually more prone to failure, due to the moving parts and they are also subject to electrical fires.

Let's not give ammonia a bad reputation based on hear-say and speculation.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:27 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To add to the previous post I received a PM from FreeByrd and he told me when he pulled the Norcold cooling unit it was easy to remove from box because it was light, I say it was cheap thin metal tubing.
The Amish unit he needed help to reset in box because it was double the weight of Norcold.
Kind of reminds me of the older well built coils.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kz-rv, norcold, refrigerator, amish cooling unit