Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't get all the problems that people are having. I empty my black water tank when it is full or when I leave the campground, and then I throw a Walex Bio pac into it for the next round. 2 years (and 12 weeks) camping with this MH and no problems what so ever.

And I tool close the gray water valve for the last day to get some volume to clean out the hose once I dump the black water.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #30
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Somewhere I read a post where this guy explained, with pictures, how he modified a household garbage disposal unit to make a sewage macerater for his MH, using 3" sewer hose. As to the Sewer Solution, wastes a lot of potable water IMO.
A garbage disposal unit is just a macerator with a larger inlet. I saw the same post you refer to and thought it was a great idea.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:26 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
We just make sure to use water when flushing. Living full time in ours and using Angel Soft TP. The black tank gets filled about every 2 weeks so we only dump then. Do not have a sewer solution thing just the Rhino Flex hose. No problems in 2 yrs so far ....
Old 03-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #32

Not sure why some folks have such a problem with the 3" hose. It is simple, cheap and effective. Yes it can make a bigger mess as it can pop up if you do not insert it enough into the soil pipe or use a sewer elbow but that is user error not a fault of the 3" hose. When the 3" hose wears out your stuck for another $15 to $30 more or less depending on where you shop compared to the X hundred dollar solutions.

Dump the black first, the gray last and the 3" hose is not a problem rinsing/cleaning it out either. Calgonite or some other occasional treatment to keep the tank level indicators clear and possible something to help lube the dump valves and you should be all set. A deoderizer may be needed by some if their is not a good enough flow through your stink vent to offsett when you flush the toilet but it is a simple task to drop a tablet or packet of deoderizer down the toilet after you dump the tanks. Many times it will be rancid food particles in the gray tank that cause much of the stink and a powedered deoderizer down the kitchen sink drain will help with that.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #33

Have you ever drained the black tank using the conventional sewer hose to see if it drains any faster? Could there be a blockage in the tank drain that's restricting the flow? In a new unit it's not unusual to have construction debris end up in the tanks. Plastic when they drill holes for fittings sometimes get dropped into the tank. Those of us who have used the SS know that it does what it is designed to do, pulverize and move the waste, a little uphill if necessary. Does it use water, yes. Is it better than a electric macerator, no, but they have their own issues too. Broken impellers and jammed blades. If you haven't done it yet, take to to a regular dump station, use a clear fitting on the hose and dump it the conventional way. If it doesn't rush out, then you have a problem. I can't see how the SS is causing the issue, gravity is king.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
You are defeating the purpose of the black tank. It needs bacteria to break down the waste, leaving some in helps start the process on the next load. Just dump it once then get on with your day. Cleanliness is not next to godliness here.
Black tank is just a holding tank, not a sewage treatment plant ,and bacteria, aerobic or anaerobic, play no part simply because the holding period is too short AND because many people add lots of chemicals.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Black tank is just a holding tank, not a sewage treatment plant ,and bacteria, aerobic or anaerobic, play no part simply because the holding period is too short AND because many people add lots of chemicals.
Completely false. Anaerobic bacteria proliferates within hours of a "deposit" in an RV black holding tank. If chemicals are hindering decomposition one is missing out on an opportunity to liquify wastes for ease of dumping and reducing the amount of material that might build up on the tank and sensor. Proliferation of anaerobic bacteria causes odor. Promoting aerobic bacteria that can crowd out or kill anaerobic bacteria can eliminate odor and liquify wastes. The cheapest holding tank treatment that accomplishes this is Happy Camper. People who pooh pooh (punless intent) this either have never used Happy Camper, are enamored with folk remedies like the GEO Method, or get by with using excessive amounts of water. Try Happy Camper and then come back and tell me it doesn't work and isn't cost effective.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:20 PM   #36

wow
manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

I've been using the Sewer Solution for years and it works well. It is a bit slower that a 3" stinky slinky, but I like it much better. The one thing I do is I use a "Y" water connector which splits the water connection, one goes to the black tank flush and the other go to the Sewer Solution. This has worked for me. The "Y" water connection also has shutoff's which lets me control the water if I want to going to either the black tank or the Sewer Solution. I use short 6' water hoses from the "Y" water connection which is just enough the reach to the black tank and Sewer Solution.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
This is exactly the way I use mine. I think that most people use the 3 inch hose to dump their tank and don't do even 1 rinse. If you purchase a used rig like I did then you are faced with the task of cleaning a tank that was never maintained properly. I flushed mine repeatedly at first but now once or twice is enough. I use 1/2 cup Dawn dish soap in black tank along with Odorlus and have been happy.
Remember that there is more than one solution to most problems. I try not to waste my time trying to convince everyone that only my way is the right way. We should lighten up, remember we are supposed to be having fun and sharing our ideas.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:38 AM   #38

In 22 years of dumping my black tank, of course only when full, I have never seen any solids dumped. Its always a liquid. I know because over 50% of the dumps are done in my sewage manhole and I have a chance to observe for solids. The closest to solid is the broken up TP.
So my tank works on the unit prior to dumping.
I did have to help dump plugged tanks that were left open with a hill of solids plugging the outlet.