Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 08:19 PM   #1

Thetford Aria Deluxe II toilet issues - anyone here familiar with these toilets?

I have a Thetford Aria Deluxe II toilet in my 2005 Mountain Aire diesel. I have a few problems with it, and a few quick questions on how to preceed.

1- It's loud. It's been loud since the day we bought the coach. When that blade moves in and out it makes a grinding screeching noise that seems way louder than it should be. However, we have no other frame of reference since this is our first RV and it's been like this since the day we bought it. I have no idea what its supposed to sound like. I'm going to remove the toilet for repairs needed (see following issues). I see two possible solutions to the blade noise issue. There's this: https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-1961...4475530&sr=8-1 which seems to include the electrical components of the blade as well as new blade and seals as well. And then there's this: https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-1962...4476000&sr=8-9 which just appears to be a "plate" assmebly, whatever that is. Which of these will be best to cure the noise issue?

2- Now it has started to operate strangely. I can't tell if the flush process has somehow gone out of sequesnce or if the blade is just hanging open. It's only happened a couple of times and simply pressing the bigger flush button again gets things working again. I know this is eventually going to fail completely and it's now time to pre-emptively pull the toilet and get it all done at once. Can the control board: https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-2896...4476380&sr=8-4 be the issue or are none of these symptoms those of a bad control board?

3- We are persistently getting an acrid sewer gas smell in the coach. I replaced all the vent assemblies under the sinks and that didn't help. All I can think of is the flange seal under the toilet. However, there is no sign of water leakage at all around the base of the toilet. I'm very familiar with home toilets but not with RV toilets. Do these RV toilets have a wax seal like home toilets or is it a rubber seal? If the issue with the smell is not the flange seal at the base of the toilet and it's not the vents under the sinks (all replaced already) what else can the source of the smell be? It's definitely a stronger smell in the toilet closet. Is this the proper flange seal? https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-3323...J45B6HK4A7MVJS I'm definitely going to pull the toilet out, I would like to have everything I need on hand to get the job done in one shot and put it all back in completed. Valve repair parts, proper base to tank seal, mounting bolts, contoller board if needed, etc. Lastly, how is the toilet held down to the floor? A home toilet has J or T bolts that slide down into slots in the toilet flange. How are these toilets held down? Is there a mounting flange that the toilet bolts to like a home toilet or does it just bolt to the floor with lag bolts or regular bolts to a threaed insert in the floor? Again, I have never done this and I'd like to have everything I need on hand so I can get the job completed in one shot.

Any ideas you guys have on any of this would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 08:32 PM   #2

lube screw

I found if I lube the screw threads that drive the valve it works much better.
They are located under the valve when it is open, reach under you will feel
them. I lube with plumbers silicone lube
Old 02-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've had to pull my toilet several times, not that big of deal.

On my coach they hard plumbed the water supply to the toilet making it very hard to take out and put back in, I bought a SS supply line at Lowes and loop it to connect the toilet. Now I can hook the water up, check for leaks before setting the toilet in place. The seal you linked to looks like the one I have. Probably wouldn't hurt to change it, make sure it is seated correctly.

When I take the toilet apart I always thoroughly clean the blade and seal assemblies and lubricate before reinstalling. The blade is pushed in and out using a threaded rod and worm type gear. I make sure to use a lithium type grease on this, it helps the movement and makes it quieter.

When we first bought out coach used in 2008 we were on a trip and we were gong somewhere, locked the door and were heading out. I forgot something and walked back into the coach and the toilet was continually flushing on it's own, it would have filled up the black tank in no time. I hit the button and it stopped. The rest of the trip we pulled the fuse on the toilet. When I got home I ordered a new control board that was upgraded with a safety so that it will only flush ~10 times. I can hold the button now and it will only flush 10 times.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:45 PM   #4

I have noticed that if I hold the smaller of the two buttons to pre-fill the bowl it'll only pulse 10 times. I presume that means I already have an upgraded board in there already?

The worm gear that needs to be lubed is inside the toilet inder the valve when it's iopen and accessible by reaching into the open hole and back under the valve toward the back of the toilet?
Do you lubricate the slot in the rubber seals that the blade moves into and out of?

EDIT - How do you get the valve to stay open? I know there's a way to do it but I forget what it is.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:54 PM   #5

We have the same toilet in our rig. I noticed a smell and found some of the hoses / hose clamps were loose. After tightening no more odor. You can access the pump and hoses from behind the toilet in my rig. I didn't have to remove it from the floor to make these fixes. Your other question about a wax seal, they don't have a wax seal. The toilet grinds and pumps to the black tank through a hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190221_205642125.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	319554  
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:57 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
To keep valve open press both buttons simultaneously twice.

To make blade quieter I have found vegetable oil very good.

My experience so far.

Good luck it can be a frustrating toilet at times but the wife loves it so will keep it working.

Terry
96Bounder1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:58 PM   #7

Noise....drive gears
Lube (replace drive assembly if lube doesn't work)
**** The 19613 (your first link) is the drive Assembly
The Plate is what holds bowl seal against drive assembly

19613 Should have the drive mechanism, the plate, the bowl seal AND the floor flange seal

Control Board is probably not the issue
Drive mechanism/Blade binding.....Lubing the gears AND the blade plus bowl seal should free it up

Funky Smell....
Is bathroom sink in same area as toilet?
If YES...place plastic bag over that Vent under sink to see if smell goes away (even news ones can be bad)

Toilet...does the bowl hold water?
If water leaks at of bowl----black tank stink will come back up thru toilet

Water stays in toilet and still stinks
Is toilet securely fastened to floor> Floor Flange seal not covering the flange
***Seal is FOAM ----- wax rings NOT used due to vibration of the moving RV & heat build up in RV if stored in hot areas

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/thetf...-p/44-1067.htm

Parts List
https://www.thetford.com/part/aria-deluxe-ii/
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:10 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Aria" ?

+++++

That's what a "Diva" would sing.
Jacjetlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #9

In mine I found out that I have to clean the seal. After that I put Vaseline on the seal. I found I need to clean the seal about every 3 months.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #10

I have a similar coach with same toilet. I tried to fix issues, but not much success. I bought a new one. Not quiet, but better and reliable. Recommended.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
I have a similar coach with same toilet. I tried to fix issues, but not much success. I bought a new one. Not quiet, but better and reliable. Recommended.
Did you buy the same toilet, AZ?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #12

Yes. The aria has special mounting making substitution difficult
Old 03-02-2021, 03:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by azSkier View Post
Yes. The aria has special mounting making substitution difficult
Good to know, thanks!

Tags
ford, luxe, toilet