Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thumbs up This is a MUST HAVE if you run your RV with a Portable Inverter Generator

If you are running your RV with an portable ‘Inverter’ generator (Honda, Yamaha and some others) You should be using a home made ‘Neutral Bond’.

We didn’t know this until recently when I tried to use my Cuisinart electric pressure cooker while camping and using our Honda EU2000. It wouldn’t work properly as the electronic control seemed all messed up. We thought the pressure cooker went bad, but when we got home, it worked as it always did.

Then I read the following article that someone here on this forum posted. I think it should be a 'MUST READ' for anyone using a portable generator to run their RV.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1523300647

As you can see, I just took a piece of male wire that I had in my junk box, tied the white and green wires, put a wire nut on that, wrapped it all in electrical tape and covered it all in Lexel.

This is a generator-only G-N bonding plug which should be only plugged into a portable generator while powering your RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180409_144054.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	198403  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #2

Have you tried the cooker with the generator and N bond plug ?

The bonding plug is typically only needed with surge guards.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

No, haven't had a chance yet, but when I do, I guess I should add a reply.
Thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #4

My class A’s and this fifth wheel had energy management systems (Progressive) which will not allow power in if it doesn’t see a bonded neutral. Google “Edison Plug.” You just made one.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #5

If you have the companion with 30 amp receptical and need the 15 amp plug, you can make one for the 30 amp plug-in
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryl View Post
If you are running your RV with an portable ‘Inverter’ generator (Honda, Yamaha and some others) You should be using a home made ‘Neutral Bond’.

We didn’t know this until recently when I tried to use my Cuisinart electric pressure cooker while camping and using our Honda EU2000. It wouldn’t work properly as the electronic control seemed all messed up. We thought the pressure cooker went bad, but when we got home, it worked as it always did.

Then I read the following article that someone here on this forum posted. I think it should be a 'MUST READ' for anyone using a portable generator to run their RV.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding | No~Shock~Zone

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1523300647

As you can see, I just took a piece of male wire that I had in my junk box, tied the white and green wires, put a wire nut on that, wrapped it all in electrical tape and covered it all in Lexel.

This is a generator-only G-N bonding plug which should be only plugged into a portable generator while powering your RV.
Been using one for several years now. Made mine by putting a jumper wire inside a standard plug.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Yes, tried it with the cooker--the grounding plug took care of the issue.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:28 PM   #8

I was told by the manufacture of my Splendide Washer/Dryer that I had to do this to make it work with a portable generator. Worked once, and back to its usual false starts until it gets on shore power.

Tags
generator, inverter