Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Toaster works on 1/2 of sides

My nor cold refrig. started being unable to run off ac power...blinked no when tried...then noticed my intelligent power system stopped showing amps being used in center box....now I notice my toaster only heats on one side of each slot...anyone got a clue what is going on? 2001 Winnebago adventurer v32. Refrig working fine off lp, other plugs seem ok, lights working, ac working..plugged into 50 amp shore power
Late arrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
On the toaster, check and see if it's set to 'bagel' or just 'one side.'

The refrigerator could have a bad heating element. Download a troubleshooting manual for your model and brand, they often will list the acceptable readings for testing the element.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Late arrival View Post
...now I notice my toaster only heats on one side of each slot.....
You either own a very British toaster, (they prefer to only toast one side), or it's on the bagel setting as already mentioned.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:42 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
OR..... The Toaster is... er.... toast (Strange grin)

As for the fridge.

Get yourself a test lamp.. This is basically any 120vac plug in lamp, Drop cord/trouble lamp. Night light,,, Table lamp. ANY lamp. nice if it is at least 100 watts but not absolute.

On the OUTSIDE pull the fridge access find the 120vac plug and make sure it is still plugged in (if it's not,, problem found) pull the plug and replace with test lamp.. DOES LAMP WORK.

Post results and we continue from there.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:47 PM   #5

X2 on the bagel setting....don't ask how I know :(
Cheers Rick T
wowlites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The toaster comment is a joke, right? You can't possibly believe that it is related to the power problem.

It sounds to me like you have a 50 amp rig and have lost one leg of power from the post. Your power management system thinks it's on a 30 amp service (thus no amps showing) and the refer is probably connected to the missing leg.

The toaster problem is either a burned out element (doesn't it make sense that it takes a second element to toast the other side? ) or the bagel setting guess.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #7

Toaster works on 1/2 of sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bounder View Post
The toaster comment is a joke, right? You can't possibly believe that it is related to the power problem.

It sounds to me like you have a 50 amp rig and have lost one leg of power from the post. Your power management system thinks it's on a 30 amp service (thus no amps showing) and the refer is probably connected to the missing leg.

The toaster problem is either a burned out element (doesn't it make sense that it takes a second element to toast the other side? ) or the bagel setting guess.

My power management system shows no amps on 50a but does on 30a or genset.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

firedoc is right, it will not display amp draw while hooked up to a 50A pedestal because there in no limited power source to manage. Are all your breakers set/reset, in both your AC panel and your inverter panel? To reset most AC breakers, it must be turned off completely then turned back on.
Now the toaster; only one side heating is an internal issue, it has nothing to do with the power source; __ which should never be under 108 VAC.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Wish I were kidding,,,I have tried two different new toasters ,,,not on bagel setting....guess this will go to humerous but true column..must be coincidental....I will get volt tester...sounds like maybe one leg of 50 amp is my problem...thanks you guys are the best,,,will let ya know when I try that solution. Out of motorhome for two weeks.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:46 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
The other thing to try is turn off battery power to your power management system, that often resets them if disconnected from 12v for a few minutes.

Bob & Donna
Old 04-30-2015, 02:42 PM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As for the toaster.. It only works on one leg, So if it is not set to toast on one side...It is, as I said, toast.

My vintage Toastmaster "Bachelor"model single slice does not have a Bagel setting and thus works great.
Old 04-30-2015, 04:01 PM   #12

It's a European toaster, 220 volts
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
It's a European toaster, 220 volts
I know you're joking, that's not how European or Australian (240 v 50 hz) wired toasters work. They have one hot and one neutral, just like our 120 v 60 hz wiring have.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-07-2015, 12:59 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok, so I know absolutely nothing about electricity....or toasters...y'all can give me a break now....will check about one leg not working and let ya know how it turned out when I get back to motorhome....again thanks for patience and insights