Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2020, 12:00 AM   #1

Question Toilet Flushing, Black Water Tank Emptying, but not filling....

Hi! We are having an issue I have scoured the internet for and I cannot find any information other that what I've learned while be wrist deep in some foulness.

So our toilet flushes just fine, and our black water tank is clean and has been in use for almost a year. I empty it only when totally full, and then flush the black water tank twice each week. But now, after a few uses of the toilet, water is filling the pipe from the toilet to the black water tank and not leaving. It wont flush into the tank, as if obstructed somehow. After some plunging and trying to unclog with a hose and a sewer snake, I was able to free the clog and the pipe drained. Our black water tank indicator went from empty to 1/3 full, so I know I cleared the pipe of a decent amount, and could not see any more water in the pipe. However, the pipe continues to fill up with waste water after a day or so of usage.

When I run a garden hose or the sewer snake down the pipe, I feel as though I am running into "something." It feels like a more rigid blockage rather than a "human waste and toilet paper" type of blockage. Most diagrams I've seen show the toilet and pipe going almost directly into the black tank. I know my pipe has at least one elbow in it, and I can feed roughly 5-6 feet of hose or snake into the pipe before hitting what feels like plastic or something hard.

Why is this happening? Why only now after almost a year of daily usage? Is there some other valve or sewer piping material that is malfunctioning in the space between the toilet and the black water tank?? My family insist that nothing has been dropped into the toilet.

For now I can plunge the toilet when I see the water filling up the pipe, but I need to get to the bottom of this issue soon. Any ideas out there?

thanks and happy camping!
Mute_Herald is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2020, 12:52 AM   #2

Endoscope

It does not solve your problems today. But I picked up an Endoscope that connects via WiFi to my phone/tablet to troubleshot some previous venting problems. It is waterproof and worked quite well. $40 on Amazon in Canada, probably half that in the US.

It sure sounds like something was mistakenly dropped in there and causing your blockage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	13
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	287653  

2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P / 2015 Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:11 AM   #3

Hi, Harold, and welcome!

What kind of rig are we talking about? What's the layout?
rodekyll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:40 AM   #4

Could be same as my gray tank. When they drilled the hole/holes, they left the drilled plug in the tank and that causes the blockage. Has happened to many on the forum.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:11 AM   #5

Does the toilet 'burp' when you flush? Mine will do that once in a while.That generally means a partial plug in the pipe. I dump a bucket of water down the toilet as fast as it will take it and that generally clears the clog. Have never taken more than 2 buckets to clear.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:37 AM   #6

Missing anything.........toys, hairbrush, comb, wash cloth, toothbrush ????

Sounds like something 'foreign' got dropped down toilet pipe and is stuck at the elbow then TP gets caught and builds up.
You snake it and remove some of the TP which allows toilet flushing until TP builds up again

The idea of a inexpensive 'camera' so you can SEE what it causing blockage
Retrieval could be frustrating.......

Year/Brand/Model of RV along with Brand/Model of Toilet would be helpful
Details !!!
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:59 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies, and more details

Okay, so we are in a Sabre Cobalt 36BHQ.

I was thinking of using a scope of some sort to really have an idea of what is going on in that pipe, so thank you for the link!

We haven't noticed anything missing, but we do have a 4 year old...so I cannot help but wonder what he might have dropped in, though he is not a trouble maker like that and we've asked him if he put anything in it. So who knows for sure.

There hasn't been any burping while flushing. The flushing experience has remained the same since we started using it in August 2019.

I think I answered all the questions...Thanks again for the ideas. On a final note, I have not needed to plunge the toilet today. I think I will need to, but maybe I managed to finally free whatever was stuck when I plunged yesterday before posting?

I'll update if anything changes, and I will check back later in case you wonderful people have any more guidance. Thank you!!
Mute_Herald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:47 PM   #8

4 yr old and toilet clogging up.............
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
4 yr old and toilet clogging up.............

Yup
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #10

I hope whatever when down the pipe will go out the drain.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You finally located that missing remote control.
https://enjoying-life.net
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, toilet, water