Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #1

Toilet not flushing!

14 month old ‘20 ORV Backcountry 21RWS
Haven’t used it for 2 months. When preparing it for this trip I noticed that the water pump had been left on. With water in the tank I figured it wasn’t a problem with plenty of battery power. from solar. The faucets and shower work so the pump must be OK. When I step on the toilet arm halfway to let water into the bowel it makes a little noise and a tiny dribble comes out for a second. It’s like it’s plugged up or the valve is only opening a tiny bit.

Guess I’ll just use a bucket to fill it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #2

Without disassembly of the valve it sounds like you’ve nailed it - and you’ve got a work-around. 😀
MrMark52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:45 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
14 month old ‘20 ORV Backcountry 21RWS
Haven’t used it for 2 months. When preparing it for this trip I noticed that the water pump had been left on. With water in the tank I figured it wasn’t a problem with plenty of battery power. from solar. The faucets and shower work so the pump must be OK. When I step on the toilet arm halfway to let water into the bowel it makes a little noise and a tiny dribble comes out for a second. It’s like it’s plugged up or the valve is only opening a tiny bit.

Guess I’ll just use a bucket to fill it.
It would help to know the make and model of the toilet.

It could be the vacuum breaker or the flush valve.
I assume since you could fill it with a bucket and flush, the ball is operating correctly.

On some you can change the vacuum breaker without pulling the toilet, on some it is all one unit, and the toilet needs to come out.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:47 PM   #4

Yes, the ball is fine. After being gone all day I gave it a nudge. Again a little noise and a dribble which continued for 5-8 seconds after taking my foot off. Don’t see a make on this unit. It’s a One Humper I think.

Thank heavens the CEO isn’t along or this would go from bucket brigade to 911!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BF8500DD-FA7E-4CA9-A245-D31DC5CD0FA3.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	337384  
Old 07-28-2021, 07:15 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Pull the water lines off. If water comes out well the valve on the toilet is bad. Common failure.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:41 AM   #6

I don’t think it is the valve now. The lav faucet is only putting out a pathetic dribble, too. The shower and kitchen faucet are working fine, thank God! There must be a blockage in the water lines to the lav and toilet. That probably means removing the plastic on the bottom of the trailer. Doesn’t sound fun.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:24 AM   #7

take the airerator off the lav faucet.. see if it runs.. We had a piece of plastic from the tank find its way to the shower cold water side after 6 years of ownership.. At 16 years old we replaced the shower faucet as we had removed it to see what the problem was.. who knows what the factory leaves in the tank when it is shipped out. There could be a filter screen in the water line where it attached to the toilet.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #8

"take the airerator off the lav faucet.. see if it runs.."

How would that affect the water pressure at the toilet? Whatever is restricting the flow to the lav and toilet is not affecting the kitchen faucet or the water heater (I think).

I think the theory of something that was left in the system at the factory which has broken free and jammed somewhere seems most likely. I'm going to ask on the ORV forum about getting a plumbing schematic.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
"take the airerator off the lav faucet.. see if it runs.."

How would that affect the water pressure at the toilet? Whatever is restricting the flow to the lav and toilet is not affecting the kitchen faucet or the water heater (I think).

I think the theory of something that was left in the system at the factory which has broken free and jammed somewhere seems most likely. I'm going to ask on the ORV forum about getting a plumbing schematic.
Process of elimination!

RV water lines are 1/2" PEX
Water lines have connections at each sink, shower, toilet that can be disconnected and flow checked...no need to remove underbelly cover UNTIL actual problem ID'd

Remove the Lav Aerator and check flow....clean up aerator
THEN if flow is good----turn off water supply and remove toilet water supply line (some have a screen on inlet)
Place toilet water supply line in bucket and have some one turn water on...OFF
Good Flow then Toilet water inlet valve is issue

***Pump ON---only RUNS when a demand for water occurs
Faucet OPEN or leak
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:24 PM   #10

But no flow at faucet AND toilet tells me the problem is upstream of where those lines diverge. I don't see how that can be accessed from above. I did remove the lav aerator and there was 'gravel' in there which is likely hard water deposits. We have very hard water here so I'm thinking the faucet and toilet valve could have enough deposits in there to cause the problem although I have a hard time believing it would shut both off. The simplest first step would be to take the lav faucet apart and examine it.

I asked on the ORV forum for a water system schematic and the mods accused me of 'cross posting'! Give me a break!
Old 08-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #11

OK then...........
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 12:38 PM   #12

I just reached under the lav to remove the PEX lines to the faucet and even with the pump off there is considerable pressure and water started spraying out! Gotta figure out the low point drain I guess. That pressure does rather support the hard water deposit theory.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:58 PM   #13

What kind of toilet is this?

And how do you disassemble the valve?
I see nothing obvious about getting the lever off to begin.

Backcountry 21RWS if that helps.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:13 PM   #14

I took the lav faucet apart (quite the marvel of Taiwanese 'value engineering'!), and there is no sign of hard water deposits in the valve. The problem has to be upstream. I will have my CEO/assistant turn on the pump for a second to check the flow from the PEX lines before re-assembling it.

Tags
toilet