Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2009, 09:00 PM   #1

Toilet Problem

The ball doesn't retract to close after the flush... it only comes back about half way. You can pull up on the handle, and it will seal, but it almost feels like there is something restricting the handle itself. Is there a spring in there? I saw in a thread where the toilet wouldn't hold water and people replaced the seal and cleaned the ball. They said it wasn't difficult. Is the procedure documented anywhere? Is there any way I can look inside ther handle mechanism to see if there is a problem there?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #2

Toilet Problem

You don't specify which toilet you have, but you probably have a Sealand. If so, the "handle/flush pedal" has a cover on it with as I recall a couple of screws on the back side that can be removed so the pedal cover can be removed for inspection. Also, the base of the toilet has a clamshell style cover with 1 or 2 screws than when removed will allow you to remove the cover for additional inspection. Check your manuals that came with the RV too. I believe there's a label on the base of the toilet that will give you the model number, but you may be able to identify it from the Sealand website: http://www.sealandservices.com/traveler_500_plus.htm

Sealand also provides some maintenance guidance and an idea of the available parts (which can be purchased from them or other RV suppliers): http://www.sealandservices.com/traveler_parts.htm

Hope it's something simple to fix.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem i had to take the toilet apart in the center to kleen it. their is only 4 nuts to remove. you need to get silocone paste avelable at ace hardware .grease the ball and seal.i did that 6 month ago work great since.

2008 Endeavor
Marcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #4

Most problems with the Sealand toilet ball seal leaking or caking up and stopping the pedal from returning can be repaired by cleaning the seal and ball. Sealand supplies a plastic tool to use between the ball and seal to clean both, however when seal gets to dirty and solid you must remove the top of the toilet to clean. This is a realitivly easy process:
1. Remove the one screw that secures the bottom cover and remove the bottom cover.
2. The upper and lower section of the toilet are held together with two half circle plastic pieces held together with a large hose clap. Loosen the screw on the hose clamp until you can remove the two plastic pieces.
3. Lift the top of the toilet and set it next to the toilet, ususally there is enough hose to reach a resting place.
4. Remove the seal, clean the seal and the ball. You can also check for any binding in the pedal.

I have never used silicone grease on the seal, I guess it would not hurt.

Ken Tarkin
2005 Limited
Old 05-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
When my toilet would not close all the way but the ball valve would seal and the water continued to run unless you pulled the peddle up by hand. The fix was to change the water valve which allowed the ball valve to close all the way and stop the water from running. I have had no problem since.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote