Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #1

Toilet - Seal Replacement - My experience

2008 Tiffin Pheaton 40' DP
Toilet: Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus

- The toilet would no longer hold water, it would drain past the flapper in a few minutes
- I tried cleaning the seal with a toilet brush and that worked a month ago but not this time, so I knew I needed to replace the seal
- If I had to do this I only wanted to do it once, I bought every wearing or moving part on the toilet just in case when I took it apart I found something else
- I bought all the parts on Amazon for $151. I figured if I was ever off camping and the foot pedal cable broke I would be in a mess if I didn't have a spare.
- This was a crappy job that I wasn't looking forward to
- I figured I could change the seal by only pulling the porcelain top of the toilet. This was correct. I changed the seal relatively easy. put plumbers grease on the new seal.
- THE OLD SEAL WAS DRY ROTTEN AND NOT PLIABLE, IT WAS CRUMBLING. I ASSUME IT WAS ORIGINAL. SO FYI IF YOUR TOILET SEAL IS ~10 YEARS OLD IT WILL PROBABLY NEED REPLACING.
- I had to remove the toilet shroud to access the bolts to remove the porcelain upper portion. The shroud covers the water valve in the back
- when I tested the new seal I saw that the water valve in the back was leaking every time the pedal was pushed
- to replace the water valve I had to remove the toilet (I could have replaced the valve without removing it but the instructions said you have to replace the valve and driver plate as a set and I couldn't replace the driver plate without removing it (you can stick a large plastic cup from a fast food place in the toilet pipe to seal the vapors)
- I removed the toilet & replaced the water valve and driver plate, not a big deal
- I put it all back together & tested it and water went everywhere, the hose to the vacuum breaker pulled off the barbed fitting so I had to pull the toilet a second time to reset the hose (don't over tighten the base bolts as the plastic floor ring will crack
- Now all is good
- Lessons learned
--- the seal does harden and deteriorate over time
--- pulling the toilet is not a big deal
--- replacing parts on the toilet is not a big deal
--- it is smart to have all the wearing/replaceable parts when attempting this (and to carry as spares)
--- you may as well just pull the toilet to begin with
--- if you haven't had to deal with this you will as the seal won't last forever
swduns is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Exactly the reason I pulled the Thetford and bought and installed a Dometic toilet. Too many issues, too hard to work on.

Grinned when I tossed the Thetford in the dumpster. I didn't even say goodbye
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:56 PM   #3

Coincidence,,, just went out to check things in the motorhome this morning and found the Thetford Aqua Magic bowl dry. We only got 18 years out of the original seal but I suppose that's about the average.

Just ordered a new seal and pray that it won't be too much of a booger to replace.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

Yeah, I think before I'd spend $150 on parts I'd probably just shell out a little more and get a new toilet. Easy swap out and every part is new. That's just me.
Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:26 AM   #5

If the seal is leaking clean it and then use some dielectric grease on it. That is much better than Vaseline.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 11:41 AM   #6

Olive Oil

Been using it to treat toilet bowl seal and when in storage I cover seal with it.
2007...Aqua Magic Style Plus and still using original parts.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
Coincidence,,, just went out to check things in the motorhome this morning and found the Thetford Aqua Magic bowl dry. We only got 18 years out of the original seal but I suppose that's about the average.

Just ordered a new seal and pray that it won't be too much of a booger to replace.
Wellllll, figured I'd write a quick follow up. Watched a video showing how to replace the seal without pulling the toilet and decided to go for it. Old seal came out easily but I just couldn't get the new seal to install properly. I ended up applying too much downward pressure to the blade and "boingggg", off went the spring, straight down the hole. As the OP stated, I should have went ahead and pulled the toilet in the first place.

Almost bought a whole new toilet but instead, bought new spring, blade, and closet seal. Got the toilet pulled now so shouldn't be too dificult to get back together.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:14 PM   #8

Thanks.. just never thought about that... well just one more thing.. thank you all..
donr103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #9

Thetford Bravura

I have the Thetford Bravura. For a couple years I have had to occasionally tap the pedal to get the flange to close all the way. Now it won't work, no pop-up cause it won't hold water. I am hoping it is just dirty/dusty in there and a little cleaning will help - if not a new toilet -probably a dometic cause videos show replacing the flapper valve is much easier.

My problem: how do I get the shroud off? I took it off a few years ago but not since. Either I have gotten weak in old age or it is stuck or both! This is when I miss my strong guy (he died in October).

Any suggestions of how to loosen it short of taking a hammer to it? I can't even get it pushed in on the corners.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 04:51 PM   #10

Yeah a Dometic 111 toilet, which is the one I have, only costs a hundred forty bucks. By the way here's a good video of a gentleman replacing all the parts in it.

tap4154 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Exactly the reason I pulled the Thetford and bought and installed a Dometic toilet. Too many issues, too hard to work on.

Grinned when I tossed the Thetford in the dumpster. I didn't even say goodbye
Try to get replacement parts when the foot pedal mechanism breaks........you can't get the parts. Dometic will tell you to replace the toilet.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
......Old seal came out easily but I just couldn't get the new seal to install properly. I ended up applying too much downward pressure to the blade and "boingggg", off went the spring, straight down the hole. As the OP stated, I should have went ahead and pulled the toilet in the first place.
This reminds me of the scene in the movie My Cousin Vinny when Vinny (Joe Pesci) is talking about learning courtroom procedure. He likened it to not removing the carburetor when rebuilding it, dropping one of the needle valves down into the manifold, and you're screwed. Classic! I just might have to watch it for the umpteenth time again today.......
AveryF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, seal, toilet