Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2021, 06:07 PM   #1

Toilet will not hold water

Have a 2007 Boundar 35E. Seems the toilet will not keep water in the bowl. How to change the rubber gasket or should I just take in for repair
bounder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2021, 08:35 PM   #2

Brand/Model would be a good start

Toilet bowl seal
Could just be crud
Turn water supply off....Hold Flush Ball Open
Using your fingers rub/flex the seal gently scrapping off any crud (calcium/poop/TP)
Then use a dash of dish soap and clean the seal....rinse (bucket of water) and dry
Then use couple tablespoons of Olive Oil and lube the seal...top/bottom sides
***Clean and lube the ball valve also

Then exercise the ball valve open/close several times

Turn water on and see if it holds water

IF still leaking....new seal
But BRAND/Model for correct seal
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:28 AM   #3

Coastal Campers
Clean the seal as mentioned above then try Tetford Toilet Seal. Works like a charm for us.
WiliWali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:50 AM   #4

Clean like they said and try some dielectric grease on the seal. I have found this to work the best. And if the ball seal needs to be replaced it is not real hard to do. Just get the proper parts, unbolt the toilet (turn off the water), Take it outside on a table and replace the parts. Gloves help also.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
Clean like they said and try some dielectric grease on the seal. I have found this to work the best. And if the ball seal needs to be replaced it is not real hard to do. Just get the proper parts, unbolt the toilet (turn off the water), Take it outside on a table and replace the parts. Gloves help also.
I used silicone plumbers grease, but I bet dielectric is virtually the same thing. I cleaned and greased the seal every other trip or so for quite a while. I applied a light coat to the top of the ball as well, though that's probably unnecessary.

When greasing the seal stopped working I checked, and the kit to refurb the toilet was close enough to our service contract deductible that we just let our trusted independent repair shop replace the toilet.
Old 03-01-2021, 07:47 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Other than cleaning the seal as described above, the spring on the water valve could have lost the tension. To prove this, after flush, lift the pedal a little, if the bowl holds water, that's it. Replace the spring or the valve assembly.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #7

On the Dometic toilets use the one that has a metal shaft into the spring. The plastic ones tend to round off & not fully apply the spring tension. Google #385318162 for a picture of the part.
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet, water