Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2011, 05:24 PM   #1

Toilet won't hold water

We bought a 10 year old MH that hadn't been used much. It has a SeaLand china stool. We've tried vaseline on it with no success. Anybody have any ideas?
contrarymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does it have a metal band around the middle holding the upper and lower pieces together? If so it's pretty easy to replace the seals. Find the model # and purchase a seal kit. Sealand is part of Dometic. Any RV dealer should be able to help.
Wayne Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:49 PM   #3

sealnd toilet bowl seal replacement - Google Search
RV Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #4

Try cleaning the groove where the valve slides into -- some people report success ab combo of manual cleaning of the groove followed by putting some olive oil or similar product to rehydrate the seal.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #5

Toilet that won't hold water

I actually went out and checked the original window sticker and it had added as an option an Aria 12Volt toilet. I don't know if these function any differently from a regular toilet or not.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is this the toilet you have or close to?
This thread may explain what your problem is.
If you can not clean the seal area its a expensive fix, your manual should give you this information on cleaning the slot.
This maybe what you need.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #7

Yes, 007 this is exactly the toilet that we have. They mention using silicone grease. Perhaps that will do the trick. thank you!
Old 11-13-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
I had the same problem the only thing that worked was silicone grease, on your finger and under the seal. Don't confuse plumbers silcone gease with silicone sealer. I went to Lowes and asked for it they tried to sell me silicone sealant the stuff in a tube that would have been some mistake. I got it at Ace Hardware its in a small jar with a screw on cap.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:55 AM   #9

Plumbers grease as mentioned to clean and rehydrate the seal. When I store the coach for any length of time I put some water system antifreeze in the bowl to keep the seal in good condition.(The pink stuff)
This works on the china bowels,but will stain the plastic bowels.

Dick.
Airtool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
They mention using silicone grease
We have a different brand, but I think the seals are about the same. We were told by a manufacturer's service rep that Vaseline should never be used on the seal. He claimed it damaged the seal and silicone grease was the only thing to use. I would not have any way of knowing if this is true but he was supposed to be the expert so we followed his advise. Fixed our problem with water retention and it has continued working.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #11

True no Vaseline! It will work but it breaks down the o-ring over time. You are looking for a o-ring lube. Have used Dow Corning (Molykote 55) lube for years in commercial setting. Any lube designed for o-rings will work.
Note: a little goes a long ways, normally apply a little to fingers and draw o-ring between fingers. All you need is a light coating.

Tags
water