Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #1

Trace RV2012 and RC6 remote - not remoting!!!

Yes, I know, out of the ark so just junk it and buy the latest for $3000, but my middle name is scrooge and there is no more money coming in once what I have is spent, so I prefer not to fix something that isn't broke(n).

The Airstream has a Trace RV2012 inverter charger with a RC6 remote control and the remote control is dead. For a while it used to go crazy with all the LEDs flashing in all sorts of sequences but still occasionally working and then it died completely. Didn't care too much because the charger/inverter still works as normal so didn't bother getting another one. I would like to be able to switch the inverter off when we are not using it for long periods because we mostly boondock and that constant 2.5Amp useless drain would be better off if it was zero.

I understand I really need to step into the 21st century, or at least into the 20th century and get an RC7 unit so I can change the charging parameters to suit different batteries and while I don't mind spending a few dollars, what I don't want to do is end up with a new not-working remote because the cable or relevant interface inside the inverter has failed.

Has anyone had a similar failure mode and then resolved the problem by replacing the remote, or is it equally likely to be the interface cable, or within the RV2012 itself.

[Obviously I can buy a $10 wireless remote control and install the unit in series with the panel on/off switch and that might be the most practical solution given that remote panels aren't readily available and generally sold on an as-is-no-returns basis}

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2014, 08:39 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The interface cable might be a standard phone cable that could be swapped out for diagnostic purposes. just a thought.

Also, have you tried to remove the remote cable from the I/C unit, turn it OFF, then plug the remote cable back in and turn it ON with the remote. Some say to leave it turned off for several minutes or to even disconnect the DC cable side for a few minutes to reset the remote interface. Worth a try, I would think.