Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #1

Transfer switch and powering through it

Situation, in the new 2020 Raptor with onboard generator I installed the hardwired Progressive 50 amp EMS AFTER the shore and generator. I followed the explicit instructions given by Progressive and everything has worked well until lately. On my August/September trip I did use the generator 3 times while staying over in rest areas for about 25 hours usage, no issues and worked like it should. When I got home I was in the process of upgrading my shore power, currently have 1 50 amp, 2 30 and and a couple 20amp running off a 100amp sub panel. Adding a second 50 amp on the other side of the RV barn. While waiting on the parts, few days, I started the generator to keep the batteries charged and saw I had no 120 power inside. All breakers good. The PI EMS showed E6, no/low L2 volts and would not connect. All CBs good, house and generator and I checked the voltage at the transfer switch and EMS and I have good VAC into the transfer switch, 120+ out on L1 and nothing on L2. Same into the EMS and 0 out the EMS. When I got the shore power updated a few days later I reconnected and all with shore power in and out of the ATS good. Disconnecting shore power same fault of L2.

ATS is WFCO model WF-T57-R.

With shore power as the EMS is evaluating there is the few second delay followed by an audible click and then connecting. With generator, no click and no connecting. The relays are under a metal cover on the ATS so no way to observe or manually engage them. I tried gently tapping in the area where the relays should be and no luck.

Trailer is under warranty and so the ATS "should" be repaired/replaced as such. But we all know dealers and manufacturers don't have the same sense of urgency we as owners do. My online searching doesn't come up with anything solid to troubleshoot other than nebulous comments about boards or relays. I can bypass the EMS but the battery charging is on L2 so that means boon docking someplace out of the question. This time of the year I can do without the BR air conditioner. Not sure what else is on L2. Having some specific suggestions I can give the service department at the dealer reminds them I am still here and might move things faster.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 09:22 AM   #2

Depending on the ems is may not see the generator as qualified if the frequency is not real close to 60hz. Do you have a override on the ems?
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:12 AM   #3

If your not getting voltage on L2 shouldn't you be looking at the generator output ?

I would find the junction box where the generator ties into the RV wiring and check for voltage on L1 and L2 there. You may find loose connections
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If your not getting voltage on L2 shouldn't you be looking at the generator output ?

I would find the junction box where the generator ties into the RV wiring and check for voltage on L1 and L2 there. You may find loose connections
Yes and I did. I removed the covers of the EMS and ATS and measured with a multimeter the various voltages. Shore were had 120+ into and out of the ATS at each point. The generator, Onan 5500 factory installed, had 120+ going into the ATS both L1 and L2 BUT nothing out of the ATS on L2. 120+ for L1. Into the EMS same readings. Zero out of EMS in normal, same as input in EMS bypass mode.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Depending on the ems is may not see the generator as qualified if the frequency is not real close to 60hz. Do you have a override on the ems?
The EMS is a Progressive Industries EMS-LCHW50 which is compatible with the electrical system of the trailer and worked just fine during the trip.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

The L2 voltage gets lost in the ATS. That is the most likely place for the problem. Double check connections for tightness and corrosion, then fix the ATS.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #7

If there is 120V on both L1 and L2 out of the generator into the ATS, but only 120V on L1 out of the ATS, then wouldn't the ATS be the issue. This situation could occur the ATS defaults to shore power and relays engage when on generator power, but the L2 relay isn't engaging The way to check is to swap the shore input and generator input connections inside the ATS and see if L1 and L2 now work with the generator, but only L1 for shore power.

I'm not sure how the EMS comes into question regardless if installed before or after the ATS. L2 from the generator is dropping in the ATS.
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndrorder View Post
If there is 120V on both L1 and L2 out of the generator into the ATS, but only 120V on L1 out of the ATS, then wouldn't the ATS be the issue. This situation could occur the ATS defaults to shore power and relays engage when on generator power, but the L2 relay isn't engaging The way to check is to swap the shore input and generator input connections inside the ATS and see if L1 and L2 now work with the generator, but only L1 for shore power.

I'm not sure how the EMS comes into question regardless if installed before or after the ATS. L2 from the generator is dropping in the ATS.
The EMS comes into play because that's how I initially saw the problem. Generator was running and no AC power inside. The EMS detected a low or no L2 voltage and wouldn't connect, fault E6. Further trouble shooting was the results I posted. Everything is under warranty so it's the dealer's responsibility to coordinate with Keystone and approve the warranty repair. Getting slugs to move fast is one problem.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

Sounds like the ATS is bad. Take some pictures before disassemble and tag each wire as you disassemble it. Once out you may be able to see the problem with burnt contacts or broken wire etc.
gpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpounder View Post
Sounds like the ATS is bad. Take some pictures before disassemble and tag each wire as you disassemble it. Once out you may be able to see the problem with burnt contacts or broken wire etc.
Warranty issue. Any burnt or broken connections would be internal. I can clearly see and checked any power wires in or out of the ATS.

Tags
power, switch, transfer switch