Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2020, 04:49 PM   #1

Transfer switch - cautionary tale

This is a story of how I ignored some basic good practices for electrical wiring and could have burned down my coach. The takeaways are 1) regularly inspect your transfer switch and visually ensure your wiring is good, 2) don’t take shortcuts as “temporary” ‘git ‘er done’ fixes have a tendency to become permanent and can become a liability later. The issue was entirely my fault due to the poor execution of the physical wiring job.

So two Christmases ago I decided to install a Progressive 30amp surge. (I had contacted Progressive earlier to ensure it would be Ok to wire it in my transfer switch after the transfer point; due to difficulties of the wiring layout of my coach, any other config would have been a major rewiring headache. They said their recommended install was to put it only inline with shore power before the actual transfer to protect the switch itself, but it was OK to have it after the gennie too. They just felt it was redundant there as the gennie should have its own voltage protection. This is an entirely separate discussion from the meltdown- I only mention it if anyone is curious about how I wired this in the transfer switch.)

It was a quiet day in a quiet campground where I had the entire section to myself. I decided to take up the job, as I thought I had everything I needed. Turns out I didn’t have a new twist nut rated high enough for the switch, and I also brought the wrong size romex knockout clamp. Since the stores were closed I just reused the old twist nut and went without the clamp for the time being, planning on returning later to fix. I used Wago clamps for all the solid copper to solid copper connections, but the main pigtail wire on the transfer switch was a twisted wire that I was marrying to a solid copper- so a nut was needed. I never did go back and clean up either of these workarounds. So what happened? I was exercising my gennie last weekend when all AC power unexpectedly went out- gennie was still happily plugging along. I checked the outlets and no voltage, gfci wasn’t tripped, so I went down to the electrical bay. Progressive unit was dark. I opened the transfer switch cover, jostling the romex cable and the progressive came to life, along with a sparking connection on the power line in the transfer switch. The loose connection had pushed through some serious amps and completely melted the wiring nut, and had begun melting the side of the transfer switch box. Progressive now showed a PE-4 code (previous error low voltage). I shut everything down and fixed it, like I should have the first time.

Lessons reinforced:
1) don’t reuse twist nuts- particularly the large cheap ones ones you’ll find in your coach.
2) Tape your twist nuts with a crisscross to the wires. I actually did that here, but it didn’t hold because I didn’t .....
3) properly anchor wires in and out of connection boxes. This protects connections from working loose.

A perfect storm of sloppy work, although it could have ended much worse. Maybe someone can learn from my poor decisions; I know I have!
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2226.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	312845
Kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #2

Good advice.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #3

Curious:
Were those Large Wire nuts OEM installation?

Wires SHOULD have been directly connected to lugs/connections VS using short pigtails and Wire Nuts

All wire connections should be checked/'tighten' at least yearly...transfer switch, AC Power Panel ---same for DC wire connections

Glad it was just some wiring/insulation!
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Curious:
Were those Large Wire nuts OEM installation?

Wires SHOULD have been directly connected to lugs/connections VS using short pigtails and Wire Nuts

All wire connections should be checked/'tighten' at least yearly...transfer switch, AC Power Panel ---same for DC wire connections

Glad it was just some wiring/insulation!

Yep, those wire nuts were factory. And they used gobs of electrical tape- making connections look like nicely crimped connections from the outside only to unwrap and find hand twisted wire folded over itself and taped. I also found in my DC fuse panel they put an extra 15amp fuse about 1/2 way down and just kept going in order, so every fuse from that point was one slot below where it should be. Undersized dc wire runs from battery to an inverter that was placed on the opposite corner of the coach for no apparent reason. The list goes on.....
Old 12-30-2020, 06:08 AM   #5

I think wire nuts and motorhomes should be mutually exclusive!
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #6

Yep...quality work

"Hey Dick, today I want you to do some wiring installs."

"Boss , I don't know anything about electrical work"

"Dick Don't worry it isn't complicated....just connecting some wires and taping them up"

"OK Boss. Just connect and tape....I can do that.
Man I love this job --- started last week in warehouse and already I am an electrician. Where else could one get promoted so fast?"
Old 12-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #7

Lol. Funny because it’s true.
That doesn’t explain how any functioning adult got the fuses wrong. Hey, maybe that’s the issue. Alternate scenario:

“Hey Boss, I brought my daughter to work today because school is closed and no one can take her. Anyplace I can put her out of the way? She won’t be a bother.”
“No problemo, how about we sit her down inserting fuses into panels?”
“Ummmm, she’s 4.”
“The kid knows her numbers and has played ‘Light Brite,’ right?”
“Yeaaaa.....”
“She’s hired!”
Old 12-30-2020, 01:29 PM   #8

Tags
switch, transfer switch