Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2021, 01:05 PM   #1

Transfer Switch Out Again

The automatic transfer switch (ATS) in our 2006 GulfStream DP is out again. We had it replaced last May and everything was fine until I replaced the batteries, now I can't power from the generator. Of course, it is out of warranty now. When the generator is running the ATS makes a clicking sound about every 90 seconds.

I bought a new one online because it doesn't look that difficult to replace. It is an exact replacement so the wiring etc should be exactly the same.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause the ATS to go out so often?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2021, 02:07 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Switching power with a moderate to significant load killed mine. Now I reduce it so much I turn off the fridge before I swtch power.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 02:58 PM   #3

Are you SURE the batteries are connected correctly? Problem didn't start til the batteries were replaced !!!
Old 08-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #4

I don't think the ATS is your problem.

The clicking every 90 seconds or so may be low voltage out of the generator.

My theory is " The generator is closing the ATS at about 90 volts and once it sees a load its kicking back out when it drops below 90 volts.
Then it starts that cycle over again.

Turn off the main breaker in the panel and see If the ATS clicks on and off.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 03:21 PM   #5

Only you VOLTMETER knows for sure.

If you are safe working around 120 VAC, with shore power disconnected, generator off, inverter off, remove the lid to the ATS.

Start by verifying that all connections are clean and tight-- no wires burned.

Then, start the generator and verify voltage on the IN wires from the generator.

If 50 amp, check on the generator IN side between:

Black and white= 120 VAC
Red and white= 120 VAC

Let us know what you find.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:04 AM   #6

I will check it this weekend.

The batteries are new and both the motor and generator had been running for hours but I will check them just to be sure.

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:27 PM   #7

Apologies for taking so long. Seems the closer I get to retirement, the busier I get.

So, I finally had the opportunity to go by the storage lot and run the generator. First I checked the house and coach batteries with a multimeter. Readings were 12.0 and 12.2 respectively. Then I let the generator run for about 5 hours. When I got back I checked the transfer switch and got these readings from the generator to the ATS.

Black to White 50
Red to Black 101

After shutting everything down, I checked the batteries and got readings of 12.2 house and 12.4 coach.

Is my generator not putting out enough power? I'm at a loss. Any help is appreciated.

Edit to add
I do not have access to shore power where the rig is parked. I thought about booking a site at a state park just to plug it in and see if it works that way.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:52 PM   #8

To me it looks like a generator problem...you should be getting 120V between read/white and between black/white (or whatever the colors are...L1 to neutral and L2 to neutral should each be 120V).
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #9

I'm at my wit's end. Does anyone know anyone in north Georgia that will work on a Generac 75D?

Everything I read online pointed towards the problem being the voltage regulator. They are discontinued by Generac but I was able to track one down online. A buddy of mine and I installed it but nothing changed. Still getting the same readings as before. Can anyone help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aging rocker View Post
The automatic transfer switch (ATS) in our 2006 GulfStream DP is out again. We had it replaced last May and everything was fine until I replaced the batteries, now I can't power from the generator. Of course, it is out of warranty now. When the generator is running the ATS makes a clicking sound about every 90 seconds.

I bought a new one online because it doesn't look that difficult to replace. It is an exact replacement so the wiring etc should be exactly the same.

Does anyone have any idea what would cause the ATS to go out so often?
Old 12-07-2021, 01:49 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What make / model transfer switch?

It may not be your switch going, it may be the generator time delay board in the switch, which may be replaceable.

That's what went on mine.
Old 12-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #11

Are your gen armature brushes replaceable ? Are your armature slip rings cleaned? Could be those pesky critters too?
Good luck and let us know what you did and maybe better members then me will help you.. post pictures and you may get better opinions
Old 12-07-2021, 03:13 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Might try switching the circuit breakers on the generator off then back on.

Tags
switch, transfer switch